Outdated Paleo Info?

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the critics of the paleo style diets often use outdated information (or the stuff out of the marketing department).

I know things constantly change, and a lot depends on the individual, but I wanted to see if we could compile a list at least of the "big" pieces of information that have changed since the paleo stuff got going.

For example, Loren Cordain's old recommendation of eating only lean meats, and avoiding saturated fat is now considered "outdated" and even he is on the "fat is good" bandwagon.

So, what other pieces of information do you know are outdated? Don't forget to show the updated information!

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I would say that the consumption of potatoes, sweet potatoes and fruit being "bad" is largely outdated.
  • lisaa8117
    lisaa8117 Posts: 7
    Options
    pick up practical paleo came out last year!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Could you please explain what it has to do with my question? I'm looking to compile a list of the things that were once taught regarding Paleo, that the Paleosphere have decided is no longer the case.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Not totally outdated, but more just a misconception: Paleo is low carb. Yes, it's often low(er) carb than "mainstream" lifestyle, but not necessarily Atkins low. Paleo for Athletes recommends carbs at 50%!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's outdated to think there is just one way to be "Paleo". I didn't agree with Loren Cordain about the lean meats from the start, but I did understand his reasoning. He was assuming that most people are eating meat from factory farms, which they are. The low fat, eat lots of carbs version doesn't work for me. So I do my own keto version of Primal, with the ever slow baby steps of moving more Paleo (reducing dairy).
  • lisaa8117
    lisaa8117 Posts: 7
    Options

Could you please explain what it has to do with my question? I'm looking to compile a list of the things that were once taught regarding Paleo, that the Paleosphere have decided is no longer the case.

Sorry misread your post, i thought you were looking for current info, my bad!