Keto and libido

Options
bookyeti
bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
Ooh... uncomfortable subject. But I have to ask...

Have any of you noticed a severe decrease in your libido while on Keto? I sure have. But then again, I have PCOS and have high free testosterone (abnormal for a woman) and with Keto, those levels are most likely dropping rapidly which could account for it. Anyone care to share their experience with this?

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I noticed a lower libido on my re-induction phases after my weekly carb ups. I would be so tired on them inductions that my brain could not think straight. Probably had something to do with the transition of converting back to using fat sources as energy instead of carbs. But on the days of them carb up... Hello! Must be the rush of energy I get with the insulin spike.
  • bookyeti
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I've noticed a reduction of libido since I started low-carbing over 2 months ago, and especially since going Keto at the start of May. I've been in ketosis since then a nd just recently came out of ketosis on Sunday for my first ever carb-up. I aiming to get back into ketosis again and should be there in a day or two.

My point is, this low libido thing has been steady since low carbing. I'm just wondering if my body will adjust to it eventually.

From what I'm reading, it mostly affects women... so I guess my question is aimed more at the ladies. Should have mentioned that from the beginning. ;)
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Lol all good. A sudden change of diet affects everyone in some way. I believe once you become fully fat adapted then your body should return to normal.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ever since starting on this there is a definate decrease of libido. Carb up days though really spike it up.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm day 6 and my libido is up instead of down.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    I'm on day 12 and mine hasn't dropped, But also never had any side effects aside from being slightly light headed on day 4 and a killer headache on day 9 which could have been caused by the kiddo's nonstop fighting that day and not the lack of carbs.

But sex drive is still over active like always :smile:
  • OUFan70
    OUFan70 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My libido increased. Im not complaining but it was like a second puberty for me. I've read Keto causes a testosterone spike in some, it certainly has for me
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had a small drop in the beginning but then it leveled out. As I get closer to my goal and continue to increase my activity level my libido continues to increase.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I notice my libido responds more to how much housework hubby helps me with moreso than how many carbs I had :P Sorry I'm no help lol
  • bookyeti
    Options
    LOL! ;)

It appears it was only a temporary thing, when I first started Keto.
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    LOL! I think we needed that comment in here to lighten things up!