Day 6 on keto

Options
hfox9707
hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
Have only lost 1 pound (but really lost 3 lbs) but when I look in the mirror and see how my clothes fit, I know something is happening. I have been drinking a lot of water too. I did go through some parts of the keto flu. Day 2 was the headaches and brain fog and through out, just sleepiness and fatigue. I know I am still holding water from working out too...lifting weights. Should I just walk on the treadmill and cool down on the weights during the induction period, so I can drop faster?

Side note...Initially when i started to lose weight during the first week, I lost 4 lbs but went back and forth gaining 2 lbs.

Replies

• hfox9707
    Options
    bump
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I did my Keto induction I always included cardio to help burn the carbs out of my system. Helps with getting into keto. You'r strength in the gym will also start to deminish a bit as time goes on, so cardio is of importance.

- On my strength training days I did 30 minutes of low intensity cardio after lifting.

- On just cardio days I did 1hr+

Keep heart rate at around 110~120 to be in fat burning state. Usually any higher and you will switch to carbs as an energy source. Since you should have very little carbs in your system while on keto doing high intensity cardio will only start eating away at your muscles.
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting, and that's probably why you're holding on to water, why would you want to drop faster...ie water weight? Its not going to be FAT that you're losing at a faster pace right, just the water. So I dunno if I would stop lifting, especially since you know the clothes are fitting better which means that you're losing fat, not muscle, which means your metabolism isn't going to slow down. I say screw the scale, but that's just me.
  • hfox9707
    Options
    that is what I thought...I did forget to mention that I did do some cardio earlier in the week, I did zumba for an hour and later that day salsa dance for an half hour.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The point of lifting is to aid in getting into keto faster. Ketosis occurs when the body has no dietary source of glucose/sugar and its store of glycogen has been depleted from both muscles & liver. without lifting your body will use the glucose first in your muscles as fuel for normal body function (depending on how much Carbs you ate your glucose stores might be full meaning it might take week(s) to use up.)
    Afterwards your liver will kick in and use its reserves as fuel. Once liver is out of glucose one will enter ketosis. This is why it could takes Weeks to enter keto.

with lifting your muscles will burn up its glucose hold quickly since it's required for lifting. allowing one to access their liver stores much faster. Yes you will lose water weight at first. In fact that is one of this first signs you're nearing keto lifting or not because 1g of Carbs/sugars/glucose what ever you want to call it holds 4g of water.

I did forget to mention that you arent required to lift heavy... Just lift to use up glucose which should be like 12~15 reps per set at lighter weights.
  • hfox9707
    Options
    cool good to know.