Can't get over low fat mindset

Options
Flmommy1
Flmommy1 Posts: 67 Member
I scared. Really scared. I am not afraid of the lower carbs but so scared of the fat. Good fat, bad fat, getting fatter etc. how can I change this mindset? Also, please someone tell me what I should set my fat grams at or MFP. Thanks in advance. Also, if I am eating higher fat won't I be way over calories the goals MFP has set for me?

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I scared. Really scared. I am not afraid of the lower carbs but so scared of the fat. Good fat, bad fat, getting fatter etc. how can I change this mindset? Also, please someone tell me what I should set my fat grams at or MFP. Thanks in advance. Also, if I am eating higher fat won't I be way over calories the goals MFP has set for me?

What are your stats? That way we can help better. Also I just take it one a day at a time.....remember you didn't gain overnight, so don't expect to lose it overnight either. Start by setting smaller goals for yourself and when you make that goal reevaluate for your next mini goal (that way it doesn't seem overwhelming).

I would use a online calorie calculator like fat2fit.com or scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ it doesn't matter which one you use just be consistent with it) to get your calorie count. You might be surprised that you are under eating.

My stats are 5'5.5" 206lbs lightly active and I get 1800 calories a day and I have my macos set at 60% fat 15% carbs and 25% protein. And I'm losing consistently and I have lost inches too.

Good luck,
    Anita
  • Flmommy1
    Options
    I am 4"11 and currently weight 115. Scooby set me BMR at 1116 and my total calories at 1227. So is 1227 what I should set my MFP goal at?
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am 4"11 and currently weight 115. Scooby set me BMR at 1116 and my total calories at 1227. So is 1227 what I should set my MFP goal at?

Without knowing your age and activity level I can't check, but at the bottom of the screen it gives your BMR and your TDEE (calories to maintain) and then your Daily Calories (This is the amount you need to eat daily). If you want a simpilier calculator I would use Fat2fit.com

Good luck,
    Anita
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I personally think fat is gross, particularly animal fat. It's a nasty, greasy thing and I don't like it and don't eat it-- I dissect meat to avoid it because it grosses me out so much. That said, I ignore it in things where it doesn't skeeve me out, like coconut milk, olive oil in my salad dressings, nuts, etc. You don't *have* to increase your fat intake-- just don't explicitly substitute low fat items that are probably full of fillers for full fat, healthy items. I hope that helps :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Besides stats, we don't know what your goals are, activity level, etc. You're already at a pretty fairly low weight, but I don't know what your body fat % is, either.

There are other ways to get healthy fats in besides animal fats, too - coconut cream, oil, shredded coconut, coconut butter, etc; nuts, nut butters; avocados; olives & olive oil, etc.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz2VRcGPGVi
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Low fat was a 1980s invention and instead, they increased sugars to make foods taste better. Dietary fat =/= body fat. The only "bad" fat is trans fat, which is a human creation found in some processed foods. If you are primal/paleo, you won't have to worry about them anyway. Embrace nuts, avocados, coconut and olive oil, etc! Fat is more satiating than carbs, so even if you're eating less food in general, you should feel more full.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    I got over it by eating it. It was that simple, weight fell off, skin cleared up, I now sleep 7 hrs of GOOD SLEEP, instead of 9 hours of horrible sleep. I also feel full and alive =)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I hope for the sake of your health that you can get past the fat phobia. The fat phobia, more than any other factor, was responsible for my obesity, depression, eating disorder, metabolic syndrome, and many, many other illnesses. The "grains are SO healthy" is the runner up cause of my health problems. I used to believe all the lies and now I'm doing my part to oppose them.

I don't agree that a diet is healthy without animal fat (from HEALTHY animals) but there are other fatty foods as already mentioned. I would encourage doing your best to get grass fed/wild animals and eat the fat and meat... and even some of the organs if you can (good stuff in there!). Sometimes it takes time to get used to new foods; keep trying them. Hint: try foods that kind of gross you out when you are VERY hungry; it's surprising how the body will react to a nutrient dense food when the mind is over-ruled.

Yup, the only bad fats are the ones we have been told are "healthy" so that they can stuff them in processed foods. Canola, soy, refined veg/seed oils in general. Gag.

PS. My macros: 75 fat, 20 protein, 5 carb. < that's not necessary for everyone (I'm treating metabolic disorders inc pre-diabetes, depression, binge eating disorder etc), but imo 60% fat is a bare minimum.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    60% fat is a good start. The science behind it all is what motivates me to eat in the way. Your brain is made out of fat, so it needs fat to be healthy. You liver produces ALL of the cholesterol found in your blood, so dietary cholesterol has no effect. Excess calories makes you fat no matter the source. You body can turn carbs and protein into fat if it feels like storing it.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Avocados, butter, bacon, fish, almonds, olive oil, - all awesome and awesome for you.

Nutrition uptake:
    THIS IS IMPORTANT!!
    Vitamins A, D, E & K (all critical nutrients) are fat soluble and REQUIRE fat in your diet to be absorbed. A low fat diet will leave you deficient in these very key nutrients - bad bad bad. Even if you take a multivitamin with these - you will be deficient.

(One thing that hit home for me, was the statement that the U.S. is the most overfed and the most undernourished)

Hormone generation:
    As you have heard, hormone regulation is KEY in weight loss and in general health (this has been my focus as of late).
    There are several key hormones, estrogen, testosterone, melatonin, cortisol, leptin, (+ a ton more). Adequate fat and cholesterol in your diet is required for proper generation and regulation of these hormones.

I noticed, as the hormones regulated, this is the key thing that made me feel AWESOME.

Do your body a favor, feed it what it needs - it deserves it. Bacon.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Avocados, butter, bacon, fish, almonds, olive oil, - all awesome and awesome for you.

Nutrition uptake:
    THIS IS IMPORTANT!!
    Vitamins A, D, E & K (all critical nutrients) are fat soluble and REQUIRE fat in your diet to be absorbed. A low fat diet will leave you deficient in these very key nutrients - bad bad bad. Even if you take a multivitamin with these - you will be deficient.

(One thing that hit home for me, was the statement that the U.S. is the most overfed and the most undernourished)

Hormone generation:
    As you have heard, hormone regulation is KEY in weight loss and in general health (this has been my focus as of late).
    There are several key hormones, estrogen, testosterone, melatonin, cortisol, leptin, (+ a ton more). Adequate fat and cholesterol in your diet is required for proper generation and regulation of these hormones.

I noticed, as the hormones regulated, this is the key thing that made me feel AWESOME.

Do your body a favor, feed it what it needs - it deserves it. Bacon.

YES. To all of this.
  • Flmommy1
    Options
    I guess I should have mentioned that for religious reasons I don't eat bacon. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have mentioned that for religious reasons I don't eat bacon. :)

Turkey bacon. ;)

But yeah, like the others have said, the only real way to get over it is to start eating it. You'll quickly realize that you'll feel full more easily, and won't feel the need to eat as much.

I've actually been skipping meals this week, because I haven't been hungry and haven't been working out this week. If you'd asked me a year or two ago if I'd be able to do that, I'd have looked at you like you had two heads, and said you were crazy.
  • neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I personally lost 22 pounds in the 2 months before I found this site eating eggs and bacon for breakfast and tons of fats compared to carbs. I barely exercised.
  • 365Primal
    365Primal Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've lost 41 lbs pretty darned effortlessly by eating a high fat, moderate protein, low-moderate carb. Feel great. I walk a lot but have just started to add workouts last week, so it definitely wasn't exercise related.
  • Flmommy1
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the help. Turkey bacon sounds relish.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i'm eating more fat than ever and not gaining at all, actually lost 5 pounds, we are so programmed that fat is bad.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Fat is really good for your body. Like posted above, there are fat-soluble vitamins that require it to be absorbed!
    Once you get into this way of eating, you will naturally crave fat instead of sugar. Melted butter or cream sauce makes steamed vegetables awesome! Whipped coconut milk makes for a really fun dessert. Cheese fried in coconut oil- tasty. It won't feel like a diet at all because everything will taste so good.

Most of all, you will be amazed at how good full-fat Greek yogurt tastes.

I typically limit myself to about 100 grams of fat a day on a 1500 calorie diet, which isn't really limiting myself at all. Just embrace it.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Embrace the fat... it does a body good.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I got over it by eating it. It was that simple, weight fell off, skin cleared up, I now sleep 7 hrs of GOOD SLEEP, instead of 9 hours of horrible sleep. I also feel full and alive =)

Me too. As simple as eating it