DFL

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
For those who don't know, DFL stands for Dead Last. You can figure out the "F" on your own.

I finished in 1:10:something (probably a little less if you count when I crossed the start line). That's like 11:29, which is ok for what I've been running lately and puts me 10 up from the bottom of my age/gender, if you look at last year's numbers and probably ahead of 25% of the runners in this year's race (according to my eyeball estimate). So not incredible, but it's about what I was targeting based on my conditioning, etc. This was what I could do running my own race.

The experience was pretty good. I used the "Running on Air" breathing cadences, which were very helpful. Because of this, I didn't start overly fast. And, halfway through the race, when I thought "I'm tired," I didn't just acknowledge it and put it in my back pocket, I was able to do something about it besides slowing down. I changed to the more intense cadence 2:1, which gave me an instant boost of energy and helped me succeed through the last half of the race.

Every mile I've put in, every hill I've run, all of the thought I've put into my form came together in this race. When I felt slow, I did a mental check of my form that allowed me to speed up a hair without forcing the pace or overstriding. I actually enjoyed aggressively attacking the hills and running down the other side. Since I'm pretty practiced, I don't feel like they used much more energy than the level (and they were tiny hills). I opened up through the .1 mile at the end of the race and finished with everything I had. It was pretty awesome.

Except my official time might be DFL. If you're unfamiliar with races, the last runner doesn't find out that they're last when the final results come in. They actually have to run the race about four feet in front of two police cars and an F250, who are there in case anything goes wrong. It can feel mortifying.

So I gave a fist pump to the girl who was running in that position when the race looped back on itself at the turn around. She started, she was out there, she was running. And she was running a harder race than my own. She deserved some acknowledgement.

After I collected my t-shirt and was walking back down the race course to my car, I see her at the 6 mile marker. Still being tailed by her entourage. But finishing. That's commitment and tenacity and everything that I respect as a runner. And nobody should have to finish alone.

I ask her if I could run with her the rest of the way or if it would be an imposition. She invited me to run. So I told her how cool I thought she was and complemented her on finishing strong and told her that her time was pretty good (officially, probably less than a 14 minute mile - that would have been a great easy run for me about 6 weeks ago). I finished with her, completely forgetting about my chip. After getting a hug from her (she was like, "I don't know you, but..." and offered the hug. I responded, "but you're a runner" and took it because us both being new runners makes her kind of like family, right?) I left her with her friends who were waiting at the finish line.

I'm a little frustrated that I didn't remember to run outside of the the corral, that my official time might not reflect the race I ran, etc, etc. I'm not going to know how it was recorded for a couple of weeks. But, finally, I'm as proud of that race as of my real finish time. It was an honor to run with somebody who was putting everything she had out there that day.

Replies

• ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Vardaeml - You, my dear, are amazing. Thank you for being a kick-*kitten* person and an inspiration. Keep up the great work.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty speechless. You rock, in so very many ways!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Aww. One of the cops that was trailing the girl thanked me too.

The thing is that I'd probably have faked a cramp and gone home in the same position. You have to pass the finish line at 5 miles; that would have been a perfect time to exit. What she did was tremendous and I was happy that she allowed me to be a part of it.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Great job! And so cool of her that she kept going. She set a goal and she finished (maybe not in the time she wanted...don't know what her goal was...but she *finished*).

I wonder if it already recorded your 1:10 time. It probably happens quite a bit - maybe a parent or a friend coming along just like you did.

And, as I already said, that is an amazing time! Not only did you go much further, but you went faster. Hasn't it only been two months or so since your first 5K?
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh this is amazing! Wow. Loving the kindred spirits, you are a special person vardaeml. She will be as inspired as we are to continue as a running 'family' member - such empathy will stay with her forever, she will never forget that! Bless you :laugh:
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I love you!! You rock!!! :heart:
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome that you went and ran with her, I hope someone would do the same for me
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Kathleen - I volunteered for that race the first year it was chipped and we spent a lot of time requesting people to not return back through the chute. I'm not sure whether it double-logs or writes over the original entry but it screws the system up somehow.

I graduated C25k in early February and I did the Hunger Walk/Run in early March, so it has been about three months...it's funny, during the race I felt like I'd logged a huge number of miles that were supporting me all the way through but, when I look back at my records, it's really only four month and maybe 125 miles since C25k.

Amazing how much progress you can make in such a short period of time. However, it's already started getting harder to make gains. I want to be down to a 7ish minute mile by January, so I can have an "average" half-marathon but I'm not sure it's possible. However, I completely thought that running was *impossible* so I'll continue to work toward it. Never know until you try, right?
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Even if it records the wrong time the race will be memorable for all the right reasons.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Even if it records the wrong time the race will be memorable for all the right reasons.

Well, I *ran* the whole thing. And I know my approximate time and am satisfied with it (still checking Athlinks.com four times a day, but that's to be expected). A blip because I didn't veer off 20 seconds earlier doesn't negate the actual accomplishment. :)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    That was a very cool thing to do and a very inspirational post!!
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    The average time for a half-marathon is a 7+ minute mile?? I think it's slower out here. Or, at least I'm going based on what the mother of a young friend (the mother is about 10 years older than me) runs - she hopes to get a 9 minute mile so she can finish in under 2 hours. I guess I better look up some local run results.

I want to do half marathons...and probably a half-ironman next year. Yikes! I'll for sure be in the slow group.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That's average of all age groups. Mid-pack. I think they close most courses after 4 or 5 hours, so there's a lot of flexibility in there. I'm just getting a little tired of my "race-pace" being beaten by people's easy runs.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    My easy runs are 7:30 minute km (not miles) so you are way ahead of me!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    We are all slower than the next guy.

The women I did the clinic with yesterday complained about how "slow" they were and quoted a warm up pace that is my race pace. LOL.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    A young twent-something guy my husband works with blew past me on the bike trail yesterday. I just kept repeating in my mind "Run you own race."
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    When I was talking with the body-builder (Denise), she said one of the things she really resonated with that I had said was how, when I was doing elliptical and Zumba at my heavier weight, I WAS putting all that I could into it (and my heartrate sure showed it!), but the people next to me on the elliptical would be doing a tougher workout and have a better heartrate. Now I can do SO much more...faster, stronger, all that...but it doesn't negate the fact that when I was slower, I was still putting in all my effort. She said she likes to remember that just because others are slower or not as strong, doesn't mean they aren't working hard, too.

So those marathoners running a warm-up at your race pace...they just have so many more miles under their belt. Swimming is like that for me. I can float faster than most people can swim, but I sure have put in a lot of hours to get to this point. (But there are TONS of people who are waaaay faster than me, like my friend Ryan who laps me over and over...)
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've just realised I've got my 1st ever ever 5k race in 16 days....7 or 8 more training days ...will take it outside again today to build outdoor stamina. I feel achy for longer after my jog outdoors (ie not treadmill) and its a much greater challenge. The bonus is being more in tune with nature, much more of a sensory experience! :happy:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    OMG. There was a young kid (10?!?) who was run/walking the 10k faster than I could run it.

I was planning on decking him right after I hit the guy who kept running backwards to wait up for his wife.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This made me cry. You are a wonderful person.