ANNOUNCEMENT: MFP's questoinable exercise info

Options
caradae
caradae Posts: 743 Member
JessiokaFroka messaged me this morning and said she found a forum on MFP where people are saying MFP's estimates of calories burned for exercise are about double what they should be. So, if MFP says you're burning 700 calories for walking for a few hours, you're probably only burning about 350.

If you participants who've been exercising a lot this week and eating all the calories back find that you're not losing any weight, consider reporting only half the exercise you do when you're submitting your exercise info to MFP.

Replies

• JessiokaFroka
    JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yep, MFP states that I'm burnin 738 calories doing 40 minutes on my elliptical and I've been gaining the last couple of weeks (I'm only 3 weeks in.) Some veterans let me know that there was absolutely no way I could be burning that much (I thought it sounded a bit high myself) and to try to log half. I'm going to do that and see how my weight loss goes from here.
  • cliente
    cliente Posts: 40
    Options
    I have a pedometer..and it marks the same calories that MFP marks...
  • Jetta1492
    Jetta1492 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, I noticed that I don't lose @ all if I enter all my exercise calories for the day. I believe that the amounts on here are likely too high. When your body becomes accustomed to a certain routine then you stop burning as many calories. The calorie allotments here do not take into account these things.

Personally, I enter only about half & I have been slowly losing weight this way...
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't go by them either. Some of them seem pretty accurate and others are ridiculously high.
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have 3 different apps on my phone and go by them,
  • armywf07
    armywf07 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I cross reference with spark people and adjust when need. :)
  • sweetjanet100
    Options
    thanks for the update - I did think some were high - so I too will start to cut in half, although I have just got the fitbit - so it will be interesting to see how they tally.....:sad:
  • phillysfrog
    Options
    im up to 100 reps today and i think thats where i'm going to level out. i started at 50reps a day and upped it by 5 a day but i dont want to over do it. it takes me about 45 minutes to go through all 5 exercises and i can really feel the burn when i'm done.
    i do really good at staying under the mfp calorie goal before adding in my workout. i will weight myself again tomorrow and hopefully im down some more.