Graves Disease

Options
I was just recently diagnoised with Graves Disease and was put on radioactive iodine. I am now currently Hypothyroid and trying to loose some of the weight I gained. Is there anyone that had sucess loosing weight???

Replies

• bama1030
    bama1030 Posts: 4
    Options
    If the radiation has destoyed your thyroid, your endo doc should be prescribing thyroid medicine to bring your levels up to normal. If you are getting an appropriate amount of hormone, then you'll just have to diet and exercise to lose weight like anyone else. I wonder how doctors make their decisions about how to treat Grave's Disease? My son was diagnosed with Grave's about 6 years ago - it was so severe, he ended up in intensive care with seizures and a blood clot on the brain due to dehydration. He had been drinking huge amounts of water, had lost a great deal of weight, and kept his thermostat at Arctic Freeze levels because he was so hot all the time. Point is, even though his disease was so severe, his docs treated him with a drug, methimazole, to suppress his thyroid without destroyiing it, and he has been in remission ever since, with normal lab test results and no need for thyroid hormone replacement. Too bad they couldn't have done the same for you. Since I am hypothyroid, I think it may be somewhat more difficult for me to lose weight than before, but still very doable.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is very doable. Had graves, they destroyed my thyroid, I'm now on Synthroid, and losing weight. I don't use my thyroid problems as an excuse. You can do it too. Just find something you like. Exercise is more important than food, but it is something you do for life.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is very doable. Had graves, they destroyed my thyroid, I'm now on Synthroid, and losing weight. I don't use my thyroid problems as an excuse. You can do it too. Just find something you like. Exercise is more important than food, but it is something you do for life.

Yep, me too! Heck, I'm also in perimenopause, so I got plenty of excuses, but I am managing to lose some weight (although not as quickly as I'd like). I don't do any of the special dieting I see others around here doing for their thyroid, either (no low carb, etc). You can definitely lose, although you'll need to get your Synthroid or whatever drug you're taking dialed in to the right point first, which can take a little time.