Why doesn't God like amputees?

Options
m_a_b
m_a_b Posts: 71 Member
If you pray to God to lose 1lb in weight at the next weigh in you may, or may not, lose 1lb. If you have no money and pray for it then you may, or may, not get more money. If you're ill and pray to get better then God may, or may not, heal you. However, God never replaces a lost limb. Why do you think that is?

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    although he was talking about death i think it applies...a wise man once said...

"sometimes God takes those closest to us, because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it don't matter to him, so long as it makes us sad. Do you understand? "
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Amen, Chef.
  • m_a_b
    Options
    prayer-flow-chart.jpg
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I always go back to Marlow on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-QIH87SbNk
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Because we're not starfish!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mgxcrx3XrI1qa12tx.png
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Pick up the latest article of People magazine. There are interviews with people who all lost a limb in the Boston Marathon bombing. Their positive attitudes and gratitude for being alive are amazing. Who are you, who doesn't even believe in God, to tell amputees that God must not love them because they can never grow a limb back? I know you wouldn't actually say this to their face (at least I hope not), but when atheists make this statement, it really pisses me off.

Prayer is not meant to conform God's will to ours, but to conform ours to His. You don't get that.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    david-cross-amputee-drummer-o.gif
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    just realized this was in a group and not the main forum.

Its just life, bad things happen. Sometimes worse things happen to people. I just hope and pray that me and my family beat the odds and only get minor horrific things happening to us. I just don't think with everything going on in the universe god has much time for limbs. I'd much rather him worry about things like not letting other galaxies crash into ours.

piccolo-arm.gif
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    the good news is that at some point in the not too distant future we will be able to grow the limb back. hopefully it will be the USA that develops it but with our idiotic views on stem cell research it will probably come from over seas.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If there was a god he wouldn't hate amputees any more than he hates the people he drops churches on:

0_21_011909_Brazil01.jpg

the kids he gives terminal diseases to:

Soulumination%20Gracie.jpg?ve=1

or the human race upon itself upon whom he is constantly unleashing new and deadlier diseases:

news-graphics-2007-_643576a.jpg

if there was a god, that is.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    awe man...that hospital pic....
  • m_a_b
    Options
    Who are you, who doesn't even believe in God, to tell amputees that God must not love them because they can never grow a limb back? I know you wouldn't actually say this to their face (at least I hope not), but when atheists make this statement, it really pisses me off.
    It may piss you off, but it doesn't change the facts.

I'f you look around this site you'll soon find people who say that they've lost weight because they prayed. If you look around the internet you'll find people who say that they won the lottery because they prayed. Others have recovered from terminal, incurable diseases. Others have even come back from the dead. However, not one single amputee has had a limb grow back. My question is, quite simply, why?
    Prayer is not meant to conform God's will to ours, but to conform ours to His. You don't get that.

So, are you saying that prayer does not work in the way that we were taught? That someone praying to lose weight (for example) is wasting their time? In fact, God will no more answer their prayers as he will those of an amputee?

Are you saying that, when it comes to answering prayers, God acts very much as if he doesn't exist?
  • wineplease
    Options
    It may piss you off, but it doesn't change the facts.
    You missed my point. What pisses me off is saying God doesn't love amputees. How do you think that makes them feel? Do you realize how many of them are thanking God for life?!? Who are YOU to say they'll never grow a limb back because God doesn't like them?
    So, are you saying that prayer does not work in the way that we were taught?
    I was never taught that God answers all prayers. I would hope no one is taught that.
    That someone praying to lose weight (for example) is wasting their time? In fact, God will no more answer their prayers as he will those of an amputee?
    It is never a waste of time to pray.
    Are you saying that, when it comes to answering prayers, God acts very much as if he doesn't exist?
    Nope. Not saying that. Not sure how you drew that conclusion.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't really think that we should pray for ourselves. maybe this is where being Pagan differs from the more mainstream religions. i think that it's acceptable to ask for guidance, but to pray for our own betterment is kind of wrong. you work towards your own betterment. you don't ask to just be GIVEN it.

if a Pagan loses a limb, they don't pray for it back. they learn to be strong without it. to be feirce without it.

a person who simply prays for their own betterment, rages to the skies and demands to be made "better", will not be heard by the gods. but the person who wakes without something they have always had, greives the loss, and works to be better even without? that is a person the gods will hear whisper in a storm. b/c that is a person whom the gods will respect.
  • wineplease
    Options
    if a Pagan loses a limb, they don't pray for it back. they learn to be strong without it. to be feirce without it.
    I don't know how many Christians who have lost a limb really pray for it to grow back. My father-in-law and brother-in-law have both lost limbs because of diabetes. They have never asked, "Why me"? or thought that God doesn't love them. They pray for strength. They pray for good medical care. They give thanks for their lives and don't complain about not having a limb.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not understand how anyone can believe in an interventionist god that answers prayers. I mean, God, give me strength, God, fill me with your love... God, let my dog into heaven... those at least make sense.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many Christians who have lost a limb really pray for it to grow back. My father-in-law and brother-in-law have both lost limbs because of diabetes. They have never asked, "Why me"? or thought that God doesn't love them. They pray for strength. They pray for good medical care. They give thanks for their lives and don't complain about not having a limb.

my point was more that - in my faith structure - asking for something that you can work towards, or around, or in spite of is never going to be something that the gods hear. OP said that the creator doesn't favor amputees b/c a lost limb won't be grown back upon request.

i also don't believe that the gods aid me in my weight loss (it's my job to get off my own *kitten* and help myself). make me well when i'm sick (i was born in a first world country w/ health insurance, good nutrition and drugs/herbs/vitamins, what more do i expect them to do?). and while i'm sure it's happened in the past, i don't think that they make a habit of raising the dead (not to say i don't believe in near-death experiances, but i beleive that it's the person's & doctor's will and fight that bring them back). so my point was that not every faith accredits everything to the creator.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The whole question is dumb, and a rather poor guise to draw in a heated religious debate.

Biologically, no human can re-grow limbs. As a matter of fact, very few species possess this ability. The logic behind why some species can and some species can't is a matter of genetics and physics.

God helps those who help themselves. Prayer is not a means of instant delivery for all our hearts' desires. It's purpose is to serve as a means of direct communication between ourselves and God so that guidance and direction can be provided to help us attain our hearts' desires on our own. If we do not possess the natural ability to re-grow a limb, prayer is not going to help us attain it. However, if an amputee were to say such prayer, surely they will discover opportunities to obtain prosthetics.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    The whole question is dumb, and a rather poor guise to draw in a heated religious debate.

Biologically, no human can re-grow limbs. As a matter of fact, very few species possess this ability. The logic behind why some species can and some species can't is a matter of genetics and physics.

God helps those who help themselves. Prayer is not a means of instant delivery for all our hearts' desires. It's purpose is to serve as a means of direct communication between ourselves and God so that guidance and direction can be provided to help us attain our hearts' desires on our own. If we do not possess the natural ability to re-grow a limb, prayer is not going to help us attain it. However, if an amputee were to say such prayer, surely they will discover opportunities to obtain prosthetics.
    They'll have the exact same opportunities to obtain prosthetics as a Satanist, an atheist, and a Hindu. Prayer won't do anything for them when it comes to healing that injury.

As for amputees who would be offended by this, most of the ones I know (several - military) think it's rather funny. Yea, they're grateful they're alive but they aren't thanking some god for only taking their legs or their right arm. Frankly, the notion that they should be grateful is far more offensive IMO.