Learned an important lesson today - beer is evil!

Options
After having a few drinks out with my hubby, cravings for sweets and carbs came back with a MAJOR vengeance. I tried to satisfy it with blueberries, almonds, even pepperoni, but ended up heading for pop tarts (UGH)! If I imbibe again, it will be on red wine or NORCAL margaritas. I never had cravings like that from wine.

Replies

• AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I love beer but for me it always causes binges! I can't drink it in moderation or eat in moderation while I am drinking it! Best for my health to leave it alone, which I don't always do!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Beer doesn't cause cravings for me at all, except for more beer.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Isn't there wheat some where in beer? I could be wrong but i was looking at ale to cook with and I could have sworn I saw something about wheat. If that is the case then that may be it. And nobody be mean, I am not a bear drinker, so I don't know.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Isn't there wheat some where in beer? I could be wrong but i was looking at ale to cook with and I could have sworn I saw something about wheat. If that is the case then that may be it. And nobody be mean, I am not a bear drinker, so I don't know.
    Not wheat, but barley - a main source of gluten.

OP - I wonder if the gluten free bears would result in the same cravings?
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Not wheat, but barley - a main source of gluten.

OP - I wonder if the gluten free bears would result in the same cravings?

I will let you guys know this!... If someone doesn't before I do ha. I'm gluten intolerant, and am going to be getting gluten free beer for a big camping trip I've had planned.... All the other times ive drank beer or vodka, I had binges... So we will see if no gluten makes a difference.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    It would be great to know. While I don't drink beer anymore I love to cook with it. I like to brine sausage and use it in the crock to cook with pork roast.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Beer is good.... Thank you very much....
  • brenbrenm
    brenbrenm Posts: 81
    Options
    I think maybe it was just the first non paleo thing to cross my lips in a week....The only time I have it is if I'm out at a bar, because it's cheapest. Luckily, I don't go out to bars very often! Now wine on the other hand.......:wink:
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Most beers are made from barley (a grain), but there are a few like Hefeweizen that are made with wheat.

Talking about 'healthy' forms of liquor is pointless, since alcohol is a poison, but since beer is a low-proof drink made from a grain mash, it falls on the low end of tolerable booze. WIne is at the top (made from grape juice, nearly all sugar is converted to alc), then distilled liquor (Tequila is made from plants; brandy from fruit; the rest is made from wheat or corn - but the distillation process removes virtually all impurities), then beer. Liqueurs (like amaretto) are high-sugar and should be off the table.