what else to do with all this almond meal?

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
I just made homemade almond milk, which means I have a bunch of almond meal leftover. I don't bake much I'm general, anymore, so my supply will far outrun my demand, anyway. Then there's also the matter of the PUFA level in almonds, which means it's not great for baking, anyway.

So, what else can I do with this pile of almond meal sitting in my fridge?

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I have heard (but not attempted) that you can dredge chicken in it and then fry it. You can also try it as a binder in meatballs/meatloaf (I've used flaxseed instead). I don't worry/care about PUFAs, so I don't know what specifically triggers them.

Maybe there are some no bake cookies you can make? Maybe a body scrub or use in homemade soap as an exfoliant?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I don't worry/care about PUFAs, so I don't know what specifically triggers them.

Maybe there are some no bake cookies you can make?

http://empoweredsustenance.com/avoid-almond-flour/

I just made homemade almond milk, which means I have a bunch of almond meal leftover. I don't bake much I'm general, anymore, so my supply will far outrun my demand, anyway. Then there's also the matter of the PUFA level in almonds, which means it's not great for baking, anyway.

Make a castle out of it. Like a sand castle, except with almond meal. Each time you make almond meal, the castle will get bigger and bigger.

In tens years time, who knows what could happen. Profit?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Ooooohhh...send it to me! :flowerforyou:

Seriously, I love making paleo "granola" with it and having that with my almond milk. Yum!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't worry/care about PUFAs, so I don't know what specifically triggers them.

Maybe there are some no bake cookies you can make?

http://empoweredsustenance.com/avoid-almond-flour/

Make a castle out of it. Like a sand castle, except with almond meal. Each time you make almond meal, the castle will get bigger and bigger.

In tens years time, who knows what could happen. Profit?

You, sir, win the day! :drinker:
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I would mix it 50/50 with coconut flour to cut down on the PUFAs (and cost of coconut). But I don't bake much, either.

Sand castle sounds good to me, haha.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Seriously, I love making paleo "granola" with it and having that with my almond milk. Yum!

Oooh, I didn't think about almond meal for granola. What a good idea! Do you have a recipe?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Oooh, I didn't think about almond meal for granola. What a good idea! Do you have a recipe?

This is what I use: http://www.unrefinedkitchen.com/2011/11/10/raisin-nut-crunch-cereal
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options

This is what I use: http://www.unrefinedkitchen.com/2011/11/10/raisin-nut-crunch-cereal

Mm! Thanks! :)
  • Cryck84
    Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Using it as breading is awesome. My BF took some pike, dunked it in egg, then coated it in almond meal mixed with chili flakes. Then he fried it up in bacon grease... it was so good!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I make savoury pancakes with them.
    Almond meal (1cup)
    Dry chillies
    3 eggs
    shredded onion and garlic
    salt/pepper and if u eat cheese,grated cheese
    Pan fry in butter
    delish!
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You could put it in a bird feeder like bird seed. They'd probably like it.

My face scrub has tiny pieces of almonds in it and it works great to exfoliate.

I've also found almond meal is really good as a pumpkin pie crust alternative. Just mix it with butter and eggs and it's pretty similar.
  • Cryck84
    Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've also found almond meal is really good as a pumpkin pie crust alternative. Just mix it with butter and eggs and it's pretty similar.

Sounds awesome! Do you have a recipe for it?
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Meatloaf!