New to groups

Options
Hi all. I am so tired of being fat and tired, I just want to be healthy! I have lost weight in the past on the Atkins diet but gained it all back and then some after stopping it. I know all the right things to do: eat less, exercise, drink water, get enough sleep, etc., but have had such a hard time staying motivated. I know this needs to be a lifestyle change. I joined MFP a few weeks ago and it has been a tremendous help with staying aware of how much I am eating, and I've even started drinking water (I've never been a water drinker), so I know I am on the right track. Now if I can just get motivated to move. I work out of my home and seem to spend most of the day sitting. Anyhow, I usually tend to be more of a reader with these kind of things rather than a participant, but I am hoping that by participating, it will keep me more accountable. I would love to lose around 50 pounds. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• JanetteBradleyMahnken
    JanetteBradleyMahnken Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Suzen, It sounds like we joined about the same time and are in the same boat, LOL. I will send you a friend invite. I am 53 years old, I live in Escondido, Ca. And when I started this a few wks ago I weighed 170, the heaviest I have ever weighed. I feel tired a lot, I got the fat part down too, LOL. I had never really did any special diets before this, and have never joined any groups like this before either. But I had never let myself get this over weight before either. Usually if I got 5-10 Lbs over weight I would just cut back my intake, make better choices, and maybe add more exercise. But this time I need to lose 30-40 Lbs and I know with my age it is going to be a lot harder to get it off and keep it off. I have been with my boyfriend for almost 4 yrs now and my diet has changed for the worse since then. I use to live mostly on fruits and veggies with some chicken or tuna thrown in, and very rarely any fast food or junk food. But my boyfriend and his son are meat lovers and Junk food junkies and it has rubbed off on me having it in the house all the time and in my face all the time too, LOL. But it is bothering my health now too, so I need a live style change, not just a quick diet that will starve me, or fasting. I don't do good with starving and fasting, it leads be to feeling way to hungry and can lead to over eating and even binging. So since I don't usually decide what I am having for dinner, and no one else in the house wants to change their life style, I thought that counting calories would be the easiest for me to stick with. Been doing pretty good with it, once in a while a meal that my boyfriend cooks might set me over the goal, or a meal out might do the same, but for the most part I am staying under my goals with food. I have been doing good with exercise too, but I won't lie, I really have to force myself most of the time. I walk my dog the most for the exercise as she loves to go for walks and is good company, and no one else in the house really wants to exercise with me either except her. I also do a lot of house work and yard work to get my exercise, and it's something that needs done anyways. We have a Wii System and have Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports, Wii Resort Sports, a couple of dance games for kids too. And I just bought yesterday Wii Zumba Core and a strength training rope thing. We also have a big basket ball hoop in the drive way and I have a new tennis racket too. Now I just need to get new wheels for one or both of my bikes. I also dug out my free hand weights set and a jump rope this weekend. So I have tried to find several different things that I can do to change up my exercise routine so I don't get so bored with it. I am trying to lose the weight slowly so that hopefully it will stay off. So far I have lost 6.5 Lbs and several inches too.
  • SuzenM60
    SuzenM60 Posts: 10
    Options
    Janette,
    It sounds like you've made a great start. I also have a Wii and purchased one of the dance games and also Zumba, but with the exception of trying out the dance game once or twice, I haven't made use of it. It's so hard to take the time to use it, but I guess I need to try to schedule it in. I do have a couple of dumbbells and found a site from a link someone had posted, that has a 30 day dumbbell workout. I really think I'm going to try that. I'll be out of town for a couple of days, but I'm hoping to start it on Thursday (hope I don't find some excuse not to). I haven't always been this heavy, I was only 118 when I got married 32 years ago, but after 4 kids, and then especially after office type sitting jobs, it crept up on me. I don't have any desire to get back down to 118, that sounds way too small now, but my goal is to get to around 150. When I lost to that weight before, I was very happy with it. But more than just looking better, I look forward to feeling better. Like you, I'm hoping that connecting with other people who are doing the same things will help me to stay motivated. Hope you have a great day!