Do you count calories or just protein?

operator646
operator646 Posts: 155 Member
I was told by my nutritionist not to count calories, just protein. Since coming back to MFP about a month ago I have been counting calories because of the way the site is designed. I am not sure what would be an acceptable goal so I have been aiming for 1000 but usually going over a bit.

Replies

• I count both. I set my calorie limit to 1200. Because I tend to stall at really low calorie levels and I dont want to spend the rest of my life on less than a 1000 calories a day. It might take me longer to lose all the weight but Im ok with that. I then try and make sure my protein is over 60. I have been getting it up to 80 -100 but I am on a lo carb diet at the moment and whats left but protein lol :love: :sad:
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    How do you keep your protein high and carbs low? I have that problem
  • operator646
    I haven't had to much of a problem with keeping protein high while keeping carbs low. My dietician recommends having carbs (from a starch) at only one meal. You just have to find the right meal combinations that you like which are high enough in protein to meet your requirements and also satisfy your appetite.
  • mtnhomeeee
    mtnhomeeee Posts: 2 Member
    Had my 1st meeting with the nutritionalist today. they want me to attend 10 weeks Move program with a 24 lb weight loss in 24 weeks, then meet with the nutritionalist 1x ,month then go back to my pcp for the consulting order then get cleared by psyc, cardi and pulminary then to a local surgeon then 2 wks lcd or opti fast prog then surgery.....damn this puts me into the holidays uuugggg I hate the VA
  • operator646
    When they give you that long list of the requirements before being approved for the surgery it is overwhelming. I remember thinking that I could never do all ot that. However, when you just go one step at a time, it really isn't hard at all and the time will probably fly by because you will be busy working the program.
    Good luck to you on this journey.
  • mtnhomeeee
    mtnhomeeee Posts: 2 Member
    thanks. I have managed to lose 5 lbs this 1st week probably water, I haven't had a diet coke in a week ugggg I don't drink coffee and need my caffine. 1 step and day at a time