Just joined the group! On Day 5 of 10!

Options
Hi, everyone! I am on Day 5 of a juice fast. This is my first juice fast and I would love to make it to 10 days. The reason I started this juice fast is because I have suffered from Ulcerative Colitis (UC) for the past three years or so. Six months ago, I started eating a plant-based whole foods diet and was actually able to quit taking all of my medications within just a few months. While it is WONDERFUL to be medication-free, I was also hoping to lose a bit of weight through my clean eating habits. However, it just wasn't happening. I was only about 15 pounds overweight (I'm barely over 5 feet tall) but the scale just would not budge. I was eating about 90% clean (fresh produce, beans, and some whole grains) and exercising five days a week. So frustrating!!!!! After speaking with various professionals in the health and wellness fields, I started thinking that maybe my colon hadn't completely healed after three years of dealing with UC. Maybe I was taking in all these amazing nutrients every day, but not absorbing them to their fullest potential. I was fatigued all the time, my face was breaking out, and I couldn't lose the weight, no matter how hard I tried.

Enter juice fasting! This might be the rest my digestive system needs in order to completely heal and allow my body to function as it should. Since starting the juice fast 5 days ago, my skin is clearning, I have so much more energy, and I don't have that bloated feeling I had become accustomed to. Oh, and I've already lost 7.5 pounds! I love it.

I'm drinking 3-4 juices per day (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner). Each juice is probably around 12 oz, but sometimes more if I'm really hungry. I had barely any detox symptoms, I think since I was already eating pretty clean. Just a little tired (but not in that gross, fatigued way). I'm also drinking a lot of herbal tea - I like Tazo Refresh.

It really is amazing how the body can heal if we just give it a chance. I honestly felt like such a healthy person trapped in this unhealthy body. I feel so grateful that I discovered this. I think the only thing I am nervous about is reintroducing solid foods. What if all the weight immediately returns? I was eating so clean before the juice fast and literally could not lose more than a couple pounds. Anyone have any experience transitioning from a juice fast back to solids?

Thanks!
Katie

Replies

• gloria117
    gloria117 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend reading or audiobooking Kimberly Snyderys Beauty Detox Solution. She talks about food pairing. How you shouldn't combine proteins and starches because your body uses different digestive juices to breakdown each one differently (alkaline and acidic) and when we improperly combine our foods our body spends alot of energy to digest it. its a good read. :)
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Katie thank you for sharing your experience on you day 5! How did the 10 days go and how did you transition?

Gloria wow that is good resource I will check this out as well.