Protein

Options
DoingItNow2012
DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
Anyone able to get up to 100grams in protein daily without dairy, eggs, or flesh? I would love some example menus.

Replies

• DoingItNow2012
    Options
    Bumping back up
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I get pretty close most days...

I add pea protein powder to all dips, soups and spreads
    Vega brand protein smoothies
    Do you do soy? Edamame,tempeh, tofu
    Lentils, black beans, hemp seeds...
    Can you have gluten? Seitan (I love Primal jerky in the Thai peanut)
    Oh yeah! Peanut butter!
    Sprouted grain and hemp breads have high protein
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    I get pretty close most days...

I add pea protein powder to all dips, soups and spreads
    Vega brand protein smoothies
    Do you do soy? Edamame,tempeh, tofu
    Lentils, black beans, hemp seeds...
    Can you have gluten? Seitan (I love Primal jerky in the Thai peanut)
    Oh yeah! Peanut butter!
    Sprouted grain and hemp breads have high protein

I have a pea protein powder. Have not considered adding it to soups and oreads. But don't really use a lot of dips and spreads. I'm trying to learn to like peanut utter. But thanks for the suggestions, will give it a shot.
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    Anyone elase reaching near 100 grams of protein daily that can provide a sample menu?
  • Amore219
    Amore219 Posts: 8
    Options
    Have you seen this website?

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

It doesn't have menus up to 100, but it does break out the protein levels of lots of yummy things!
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    Have you seen this website?

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

It doesn't have menus up to 100, but it does break out the protein levels of lots of yummy things!

cool, thanks. It's in menu form, so it is helpful. Just trying to figure out how difficult it might be to get that high, trying to build muscle.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I went to the natropath today and asked about protein levels.
    weighing 50 kilos (110 US) and 164 cm ( 5'4) and he recommended min 60 grams protein/day.
    I asked what happens if I don't get enough and he talked about amino acids and cell renewal havoc....
    You might find this of interest.....I feel I have to try harder!!
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Why so much protein? I feel like the main forums here are really brainwashing in terms of amount of protein necessity...
  • RachMarie247
    RachMarie247 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Why so much protein? I feel like the main forums here are really brainwashing in terms of amount of protein necessity...

Thanks Kirlia - you read my mind. It's not just the forums!
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was really surprised when I joined MFP and my protein goal was 71 grams! I have a light activity right now, and I started at 154 lbs 5'9", so I thought it was excessive. I checked a few websites and most say the same or close to it. I'm pretty sure before tracking I was eating 55-60 grams most days. I've been aiming to hit 70 now, and it's not too difficult, but 100 is a lot! Does anyone have a different formula for protein requirements? My other comment is off topic, so look out for a post on potassium, because that's got me scratching my head, too!
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Most days, I get close to 100 grams, and I'm mostly raw vegan. I add hemp powder to things, and I do at least one protein shake/smoothie per day. I eat a lot of sprouted beans and sprouted pseudograins (quinoa, kamut, buckwheat) . My diary is open.
  • amitglinkedin
    amitglinkedin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I dont get close to it..Normally ends in deficiet.

I eat lots of lentils and beans..
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I normally wouldn't care about getting more than 50-60g a day (never been a problem before) but I have been a new strength trainer and it seems like I get really depressed and feel terrible after a few days if I'm not getting enough protein.

The formula for protein that sounds more reasonable to me is based on your LEAN weight. not 1g per every pound you weigh. http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/lbm-calculator.html here's a calculator. you have to know your body fat percentage.

mine is 94 grams, which still feels high since I've been more like 40g lately (way too low).
    so I'm just easing into a new diet that continues to "up" my protein. so far, textured vegetable protein and seitan has been a real help. as well as green lentils. and I'll go for some tofu once in a while if I'm in a pinch outside the house.
  • mandiefenrich
    mandiefenrich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get 80-100 a day. You can check out my diary.
  • Metallux
    Options
    to the OP question--

today I accidentally ran out of oatmeal for my usual breakfast and was a little desperate so I thought I'd try out how textured vegetable protein worked as a substitute. it was actually really delicious. it reminded me a little of bread or rice pudding.

I'm going to experiment with the recipe a bit more, but I just treated it like my normal oatmeal, adding a little more almond milk than usual, with goji berries and raisins and some stevia. it registered at 48g of protein! that is definitely going to make protein the rest of the day barely even a concern.
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Something like this:
    1/2 cup oats + 1-2 Tbsp hemp protein powder + handful of nuts or seeds
    dry roasted edamame
    Boca burger on Ezekiel bun
    6 oz soy yogurt
    1 cup brown rice + 2-4 oz tempeh
    smoothie with 1 scoop Vega nutritional shake or other protein powder
    Add in fruits and veggies and that should be about 100g.
  • Metallux
    Options
    Wasabi peas are a surprisingly high protein snack fyi. 1/2 cup is 14grams.

I also wanted to mention that since trying out TVP as an oatmeal substitute, I've tried it in various other things and really can't suggest it to anyone. It makes my stomach turn in the worst way....I have no idea what kind of processing goes on with it.

Does anyone here have feedback about texture vegetable protein? It feels gross so I'm probably not going to eat anymore, but I was just curious from longtime vegans if there's a good reason for that !

I've been working on my macros so I've been pretty interested lately in where to get various nutrients...hence all the protein posts!
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Recently discovered that pumpkin seeds are high in protein. My tamari pumpkin seeds I ate today had 10 grams in 1/4 cup!