Change the Half-Marathon's name...

Options
fabiomuralha
fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
Had you guys heard something about change the name for the HALF-MARATHON , years ago?

The explanation for that was that a half-marathon really is a full race.

Looks like who runs a half-marathon just done a part of the work. but who runs now how tough is to run a HM. So, how could be the name for the HM ? Pikermi! It's a city name between Athens and Marathon which is distant 13.1 miles from Athens.

This "project" appeared some in 2010. But I really don't now how it's going on .. or if it didn't exist anymore LOL

What do you guys think about that?

Awesome runs for all :happy:

Replies

• aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    that's a good idea. I hate when I say to someone (who doesn't run at all) that I've done/am doing a half-marathon and their reaction is "oh, just a half of a marathon? not the whole one?"

Calling it a 21k works for me, as well.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about this.

Half Marathon describes exactly what the race distance is (as does 21k, but 9 out of 10 Americans don't comprehend how far that is nor have the math skills to figure it out).

On the other hand, the fewer races that have "Marathon" in them, the better. There is this group, which I'm really kind of miffed about what they are doing, which dilutes the mystic of the Marathon:

http://www.131marathon.com/

That's another group whose races I will never run, along with the Rock & Roll series.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I've found that most non runners don't even know how long a marathon or half is anyway LMAO.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think its ok the way it is. If people don't know what a marathon or half marathon is, I dont think introducing a yet another name will help. Besides, I think its a good name. The marathon is a pretty serious race, and keeping part of the name for the half lends some of that.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

On the other hand, the fewer races that have "Marathon" in them, the better. There is this group, which I'm really kind of miffed about what they are doing, which dilutes the mystic of the Marathon:

That's another group whose races I will never run, along with the Rock & Roll series.

What's wrong with the R&R series? As a relatively new runner, I can understand why "13.1 marathon" would be irritating, but I'm interested in your take on R&R...
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

What's wrong with the R&R series? As a relatively new runner, I can understand why "13.1 marathon" would be irritating, but I'm interested in your take on R&R...

Lot's of reasons.

1. They are responsible for nearly doubling the cost to enter a race because of all the "amenities" that they provide, that I find unnecessary (like a band at every mile).

2. The Vagas debacle from a couple years ago. Google "vegas marathon 2011 nightmare".

3. How Competitor Group (who owns Rock and Roll) handled this, lying to the public, saying that "all marathons use hose water", when I survey of top race directors around the country revealed that exactly 0% of them do.

4. After taking over the Philadelphia Distance Run, the reversed the course, making it really suck, so that they could pack more sh1t at the finish to charge you for.

There are three things that I find critical at a race.

1. Accurately measured course.
    2. It starts on time.
    3. Accurate timing.

Additionally, ample fresh water supply at the finish, and for distance over 10K, some along the way as well.

All the other stuff, the medals, the bands, the shirts, the jackets, the fancy cups, they can keep that. I'd rather pay $75 for a half marathon that nails point 1-3 than pay $150 for one that doesn't do anything well.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hm that's interesting. I've personally never thought of a half-marathon as anything negative, as in not a full race or something like that. But I do see how it could seem that way. I hope that most people at least know a full marathon is over 20 miles so a half-marathon is nothing to scoff at. It is its own race so it does deserve its own distinctive name, but I don't know how you could do that without confusing people.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

2. It starts on time.
    3. Accurate timing.

Additionally, ample fresh water supply at the finish, and for distance over 10K, some along the way as well.

All the other stuff, the medals, the bands, the shirts, the jackets, the fancy cups, they can keep that. I'd rather pay $75 for a half marathon that nails point 1-3 than pay $150 for one that doesn't do anything well.

You should take a look at the BCS Marathon and Half-Marathon in Bryan-college Station, Texas. That is one of the best put together races I've ever seen. They nail your three critical points, still have the amenities AND keep the registration cost reasonable. I just looked up the fees for this year's race and if you wait until the last minute to register, it is $110 for the full. Register at a decent time, like most folks do, and it is less. They rely heavily on volunteers and donations so the majority of the money goes to the charity, and when the worst complaint anyone can come up with is that the port-a-potty doors faced the starting corral, causing a slight traffic jam at the beginning, you know it is going to be a great day :)
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

2. It starts on time.
    3. Accurate timing.

You should take a look at the BCS Marathon and Half-Marathon in Bryan-college Station, Texas. That is one of the best put together races I've ever seen. They nail your three critical points, still have the amenities AND keep the registration cost reasonable. I just looked up the fees for this year's race and if you wait until the last minute to register, it is $110 for the full. Register at a decent time, like most folks do, and it is less. They rely heavily on volunteers and donations so the majority of the money goes to the charity, and when the worst complaint anyone can come up with is that the port-a-potty doors faced the starting corral, causing a slight traffic jam at the beginning, you know it is going to be a great day :)

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks.
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A half marathon is just simply what it is, but to avoid confusion with a lot of people (nonrunners mostly) that don't even know what a marathon is, "21k" seems to work fine. Most people, even non runners know what a 5k is so, its a bit easier to comprehend. I completely agree with the non participation with R&R series. Before I knew anything about them, other than the bands, I was going to check out the new one they are doing in Raleigh. I was quickly disgusted by all of the rigamaro.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I've found that most non runners don't even know how long a marathon or half is anyway LMAO.

So true! I recently did my first half and one co-worker thought it was 5k and my dad thought it was 10km.
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Another excellently executed half is the Marine Corps Historic Half in Fredericksburg, VA. (Its in the middle of May)..

Of course, its run by the Marine Corps folks, so its is AWESOME... and the bling is impressive!
  • sarahc001
    Options

Lot's of reasons.

1. They are responsible for nearly doubling the cost to enter a race because of all the "amenities" that they provide, that I find unnecessary (like a band at every mile).

2. The Vagas debacle from a couple years ago. Google "vegas marathon 2011 nightmare".

3. How Competitor Group (who owns Rock and Roll) handled this, lying to the public, saying that "all marathons use hose water", when I survey of top race directors around the country revealed that exactly 0% of them do.

4. After taking over the Philadelphia Distance Run, the reversed the course, making it really suck, so that they could pack more sh1t at the finish to charge you for.

2. It starts on time.
    3. Accurate timing.

Ugh. It all makes sense. Tossed my medal and shirt and the bands were no big deal. For my purposes, having an event close to home where I don't have to take off more than one day of work is paramount (self-employed = no paid vacation.) I had no idea about the rest (including what a marathon "should" cost.) Hose water? Really? Also just looked into the Vegas 2011. Geez. Well, looking forward to Riley's Rumble half (USATF certified course, free for MCRRC members, $21.90 for non-members- some do two laps for a full) in August and MCM as my second marathon...You're welcome to come down for Riley's- it's a nice crowd, really low-key but with some decent runners. Sunday August 4 in Gaithersburg. And last year they kept timing through 3:44- plenty of time (for you) to finish a full. :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Lot's of reasons.

2. It starts on time.
    3. Accurate timing.

Ugh. It all makes sense. Tossed my medal and shirt and the bands were no big deal. For my purposes, having an event close to home where I don't have to take off more than one day of work is paramount (self-employed = no paid vacation.) I had no idea about the rest (including what a marathon "should" cost.) Hose water? Really? Also just looked into the Vegas 2011. Geez. Well, looking forward to Riley's Rumble half (USATF certified course, free for MCRRC members, $21.90 for non-members- some do two laps for a full) in August and MCM as my second marathon...You're welcome to come down for Riley's- it's a nice crowd, really low-key but with some decent runners. Sunday August 4 in Gaithersburg. And last year they kept timing through 3:44- plenty of time (for you) to finish a full. :smile:

Too bad that is early August. I need a late August, early September HM to prepare for the Baltimore Marathon.
  • sarahc001
    Options

Lot's of reasons.

2. It starts on time.
    3. Accurate timing.

Too bad that is early August. I need a late August, early September HM to prepare for the Baltimore Marathon.

Oh well...the club does a more "full-service" half on Sept 8. It's cooler than August, a mostly downhill course, and only $55 registration through July 31 ($65 if you just show up on race day.) I may do that one as well- I didn't last year b/c it was the same weekend as Tough Mudder, but I'm done with mud runs for the forseeable future.

http://www.parkshalfmarathon.com/Default.aspx
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Oh well...the club does a more "full-service" half on Sept 8. It's cooler than August, a mostly downhill course, and only $55 registration through July 31 ($65 if you just show up on race day.) I may do that one as well- I didn't last year b/c it was the same weekend as Tough Mudder, but I'm done with mud runs for the forseeable future.

Looks good except for the last 3 miles. :)

I am putting this on my race calendar as one to consider.
  • tpcooper
    tpcooper Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you all never been asked what length marathon you ran or are running?

You know, a 5k marathon, a 10k marathon and so on.

:-)
  • sarahc001
    Options

Looks good except for the last 3 miles. :)

I am putting this on my race calendar as one to consider.

2, really. 10-11 is still downhill. :)
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Have you all never been asked what length marathon you ran or are running?

You know, a 5k marathon, a 10k marathon and so on.

:-)

LOL I have been asked that! I just smile.. and then say "I did a 5K which is 3.1 miles" or "10K which is 6.2 miles" ... and say that matter of factly --- I don't want the person asking to feel foolish... at least by asking the person is showing some interest. :D
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The fact that is has retained the name of half-marathon shows that common sense has prevailed. Anyone who thinks that running a half is half the effort of running a marathon clearly never did one!