Hair Loss, Texture Help

Options
13turtles
13turtles Posts: 183 Member
So as many of you know, and have experienced on your own, I am at the hair loss stage of my RNY surgery. While I am not losing a ton yet, I am noticeably shedding more than I did pre-op. I do take my vitamins religiously, and get my protein in daily, but I am noticing that the texture of my hair seems to be affected as well. Any suggestions or tips from those who have been there?

Replies

• Barbara2420
    Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you are getting your protein religiously, taking biotin, using anti-shed shampoo, you are doing all you can. My stylist recommended head massage, but I didn't do it routinely, so can't say if it would help or not. My advice is to hang in there--change your hairstyle, wear different makeup--whatever it takes to make you feel better about the situation. It will pass! I lost a significant amount of hair and when it came back (and it did) it came in curly. What a hoot!!
    Hang in there.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize till I read your post that my hair loss has finally stopped! I also had texture issues and felt like I should have had a bald spot even because it clumped out so much. I had a beautician tell me to use Nioxin shampoo. She and her daughter had both used it and it slowed their hair loss. if it slowed mine, I would have been horrified at how much I would've lost without it, but I think it was really not all that helpful for me. The good news is that it does eventually end! :-) However the other commenter(s) are right: find ways to emphasize your other features for now and also keep your eyes out for any new hairstyles you might want to try when it slows down. That's a great time for a new 'do!
  • russlynne
    russlynne Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 6 years post op (RNY) and remember WELL when I experienced hair loss. Mind you , I didn't have a lot of it to lose....there is male pattern baldness on both sides of my family. I am just glad my hair has some texture to it and is not limp. The greatest thing - for me - was when my hair started coming back in, it came in curlier than it was...which I love. I usually keep in in a tight crop of curls. works well for me.
  • pkp492
    pkp492 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Biotin works well (though I forget to take it all the time) My hairdresser who also has a lapband has recommended something called Horsehair as well
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others suggested, there is some new research that says zinc may be the most important factor in preventing hairloss. I really do believe that some people are more disposed to it than others, and in the end, it always grows back.
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was banded nov 29,2012. I have noticed my hair falling out too. Im really glad to hear everyone say it comes back. I
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's temporary. It's devestating in the mean time, but temporary.
  • bacosamariechristine
    Options
    how long did it take until it started to come back? I know everyone is different I have been loosing hair for the past 7 months. Of course it has slowed down a lot.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I never lost a lot of hair--not much in my brush and I think I saw 4 or 5 strands fall out when I blow dried my hair. At nine months out, it is thicker than ever (too thick, in fact!) Only issue is it is a bit drier than usual. But I always had issues with that in the past anyway, so that might not be due to the surgery.