question?

Options
shelbyjane2007
shelbyjane2007 Posts: 44 Member
This morningi finished week six day one. I run every morning. I usually take a rest day maybe two rest days a week. Most times i do one day twice before i move on. Here lately tho i feel like i can do more. Is this normal? Should I do what ifeel like I can or do I need to keep at the same pace. Iv gotten tothe point that if i dont run in the mornings my whole dayfeels off. I see a lot of people say you shouldnt run everyday.... im new at thks and would love any advice :) * sorry for typos... im typingon a nook and sometimes it acts a little crazy lol

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Try to get at least three rest/cross training days a week. You're still a new runner and your body needs the time to rebuild.

If you feel like you can do more, try going a little faster. Week six is where you can start adding speed if you feel that you're leaving a lot on the table after each run.
  • Evallusion
    Evallusion Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This morningi finished week six day one. I run every morning. I usually take a rest day maybe two rest days a week. Most times i do one day twice before i move on. Here lately tho i feel like i can do more. Is this normal? Should I do what ifeel like I can or do I need to keep at the same pace. Iv gotten tothe point that if i dont run in the mornings my whole dayfeels off. I see a lot of people say you shouldnt run everyday.... im new at thks and would love any advice :) * sorry for typos... im typingon a nook and sometimes it acts a little crazy lol

Personally, I do what I FEEL I can do. I just listen to MY body and ensure that I don't overdo it. I take 2-3 rest days a week (from running, I do other things instead).
  • shelbyjane2007
    shelbyjane2007 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) sometimes after i finish a day il go back and tag day one on to it :/ im actually working on my 10 or 11th week running. That is how much iv taken my time on some of the days. I also find that i cando way moreon the treadmill. Is this normal?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Everybody has their own experiences. Some people find treadmill running harder. Others find that it helps them, so it is pretty common. If you want to do road races, be aware that transitioning from treadmill to the road can be challenging as it's a different style of running. Other than that, the treadmill can be a great tool. I'm thinking about doing a treadmill run tomorrow as I'm transitioning to minimal shoes and wonder if the flat, even surface might help me as I build up my foot strength.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is how I am doing the program, I feel like if I take a rest day I will never run again. I am too scared to stop!
    I do a c25k day, next day a free run, c25k day, repeat c25k day if I couldn't do it the first time, free run, etc.
    I am on week 7 now and it is tough, so I am repeating every other day with a fast mile on rest days.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I was scared to walk after I graduated C25k. I felt like if I ever let myself drop to a walk, I'd never be able to summon the courage to run for thirty minutes straight again. That's just not true. Now I let myself slow down, stop, or stretch whenever I need to and I'm still seeing gains in running speed and endurance.

The four major risk factors for running injury are:
    - Previous injury
    - Lack of running experience
    - Running to compete
    - Excessive weekly running.

Here's an article about the importance of rest days.
    http://www.therunnersguide.com/rest/

Rest/cross training days are important in running.