My short story...

Options
Soultemptress
Soultemptress Posts: 16 Member
I originally wrote this post on April 9th, 2011...

I'm just going to keep this short, sweet, and to the point!
I'm getting a S-ICD (subcutaneous-implantable cardioverter defibrillator) implanted on Thursday, April 14th. I'm so excited! What they originally thought was A-fib is actually Ventricular Tachycardia. That means I'm at a very high risk for sudden cardiac arrest (heart attack).

I am a 27 year old woman.

I have an enlarged heart (a little more than twice the normal heart size), CHD, and have had so far:

11 Open-heart surgeries
14 Electrocardioversions (defib shocks to get heart back into normal rhythm...was in the high100's to low-mid 200's heart rate)
12 Cardiocatheter procedures
1 Failed Multiple Cardiac Ablation
Numerous other heart-related procedures
I'm still not "FIXED", numerous future operations/procedures will be due as medical technologies allow...
AND I'M ONLY 27!!!

Averaged, that's approximately 1.45 heart-related procedures EVERY YEAR THAT I'VE LIVED.

BUT I'M STILL HERE!!!

Despite all that I've been through, I've found others telling me that "You're the most optimistic, positive person I know!"

I have never found myself wishing that I didn't have to go through it all. It has been with me my entire life and will continue to be. If I didn't have these issues, then I wouldn't be the person I am today! I wouldn't change ANYTHING that has happened. Keep your chin up, ladies and gentlemen! Hope, determination, and love for everyone & everything are the keys to living the life and finding the cure!

I'm still here!
This is what was implanted in me April 14th, 2011... And I've 'activated' (been shocked) only once so far, on November 16th, 2012...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjkilborn/5645827570/

* I'll be 30 on June 10th this year (2013) and am scheduled for yet another heart related procedure on August 1st... At least they're doing what they can and I'm still here, 25 years past my "Expiration Date"! Lol! :happy: :wink:

Replies

• ONA79
    ONA79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great post and great attitude. I was talking to someone a few weeks ago about being happy has nothing to do with what you've been handed in life- it's how you accept and deal with what you've been handed. I sort of love the look on people's faces when I tell them I wasn't supposed to survive past the age 5 :)
  • southofreason
    southofreason Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Really great story -- and your attitude is inspiring! It sounds like you are working hard to take good care of yourself -- and to beat the odds.