heavy lifting decade after hysterectomy

Options
geekgirl71
geekgirl71 Posts: 10 Member
I realize this is probably a question to ask my doctor, but I'm curious if there are any ladies out there that have had a complete hysterectomy and also lift heavy. After my surgery my doctor told me not to lift anything over 20lbs, he never said for the rest of my life, so I kind of assumed that it was just while I was healing.

It'll be 10 years in July and I've been running and doing circuit training with 20lb weights (with the exception of a 45lb bar for bench press and leg/butt raises for upper lower stomach) for the better part of 5 years . I felt a strange pull while doing a 10lb kettle bell swing squat about 2 weeks ago but I believe it's because I didn't have my core engaged like I should.

Anyway, I'd like to progress to lifting heavy as I'm not really seeing the results I would like to and just see heavy lifting starting with Strong Lifts as the next obvious step to shaping everything up like it should be.

Any ideas/advice...I do also have a call into my doctor.

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy, but they did leave me an ovary. Told me no lifting over 20 pounds, too, but it was during the post-op healing process.

Of course, it's been six years ago that I had the surgery, and I've been lifting more than 20 pounds as soon as I was cleared to go back to work (dog food, bird seed, bags of concrete, cinder blocks, etc.) My husband has had cervical spine fusion surgery several times and literally is not supposed to lift more than 20#, so SOMEONE needs to do it, LOL...

I've been lifting since February and the only problem I've had is with my back, and that was because of a bad set of rows. (Note to self: never lift distracted.)

If the pulling that you felt doing the swing squat concerns you, then the call in to the doc is a good idea. A return call from mine always makes me feel better.

I know I'm probably not much help... :flowerforyou: But I haven't had any problems lifting.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Surgically speaking a hysterectomy is very similar to a c-section. With that I was told not to lift heavy stuff until everything was healed and the final ok was given. Took about 3 months for me to ease back into regular activities. I didn't lift or workout at the time, but I think that would have been allright to ease into by then as well.

Hope this helps!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how it compared to a c-section, because I've had 2 c-sections (nearly 7 yrs ago and just over 3 years ago) and I'm lifting heavy. I've also had laproscopy surgery to remove an ovarian cyst since then (about 4-5 months ago, can't remember exactly what date it was), obviously that was much less invasive so the recovery time was a lot quicker.

As it's been 10 years, I'd say you'd be fine.... probably best to check with a doc, but I was heavy lifting less than 3 yrs after my 2nd c-section.
  • geekgirl71
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses I really appreciate this community & it's support.

I think it differs from a C-section in that I no longer have a uterus to hold my internal organs in, & I didn't get a sling because my doctor said I was young and my core muscles should be strong enough to keep everything held in.

Obviously heavy compound lifting tightens your core, but I'm wondering if I should do something extra...just don't want my bladder or intestines to end up shifting because of lifting. I was thinking maybe to take it really slow at the beginning and not up weights by 5lbs. every lift, but maybe raise the weight by 5lbs.once a week(every 3 w.o.) or 2x's a month (every 6 or so) to try and strengthen my core a lot more.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    I never even gave a thought to the anatomy of it...I guess that core strengthening would only benefit us more since we don't have that ol' uterus to keep everything else in place.

I didn't get a sling, either (age).
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I think it differs from a C-section in that I no longer have a uterus to hold my internal organs in, & I didn't get a sling because my doctor said I was young and my core muscles should be strong enough to keep everything held in.
    It appears that the reason I thought why c-sections and abdominal hysterectomies would be surgically similar does not apply. I thought that with both the stomach muscles were cut, but this isn't usually the case with a c-section. My apologies for any confusion caused by this! :flowerforyou:
  • geekgirl71
    Options
    No apologies needed whatsoever, I appreciate the input...

The best thing about the surgery itself (besides obviously having no more pain), is my doctor was able to cut me low enough he said he didn't have to cut any muscle. So, although I do have an incision scar, I don't have any belly droop other than what I've done to myself with weight loss & gain which tightens up quite nicely for a 40 year old.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    I wasn't cut..they did it laproscopicaly (Spelling?) and "delivered" what came out. Best thing that ever happened to me, since TOM was more like TOW (time of the week...). I don't know if that makes a difference or not? I'm just glad that the issues are over and done with, altho it WILL be kind of hard to determine when the actual menopause starts... :laugh:
  • geekgirl71
    Options
    I wanted to have mine Laproscopically, but the Dr. told me I couldn't because I had never had children & it would hurt me worse than doing it the incision way. My TOM was all month most of the time with a lot of other issues so it really was the best decision. :embarassed:

I forgot another question I had that you brought to my attention Juliemouse83, I'm on HRT, along with Testosterone therapy, but only enough to mimic what is normally present in a womans body...I'm wondering if lifting will affect my use of Testosterone, ie: make it produce more. Maybe I should reduce my dosage...guess that really is a question for the Dr, but I don't want him taking me off of it because it makes all the difference in my moods, energy levels etc. :bigsmile:

Geez...so many issues when all I want to do is pick up really heavy things! :ohwell:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I wanted to have mine Laproscopically, but the Dr. told me I couldn't because I had never had children & it would hurt me worse than doing it the incision way. My TOM was all month most of the time with a lot of other issues so it really was the best decision. :embarassed:

I forgot another question I had that you brought to my attention Juliemouse83, I'm on HRT, along with Testosterone therapy, but only enough to mimic what is normally present in a womans body...I'm wondering if lifting will affect my use of Testosterone, ie: make it produce more. Maybe I should reduce my dosage...guess that really is a question for the Dr, but I don't want him taking me off of it because it makes all the difference in my moods, energy levels etc. :bigsmile:

Geez...so many issues when all I want to do is pick up really heavy things! :ohwell:

The increase in testosterone is temporary--not something you need to worry about.

As for the missing internal organs--that is really something to discuss with an internist. My understanding is that the spare space is usually filled up by fluid if the surrounding skeletal tissue is rigid: for example, if you have a brain hemisphere removed, your skull cannot collapse onto itself, and there are no other organs to take up the space in your head, so there is just fluid in there. It's not as if you have an empty air bubble in there taking up room. In your abdominal cavity, the other organs simply expand to take up the room. I don't think you have to worry about anything other than old scar tissue in your abdominal muscles. That's the part that would worry me, and that applies to both C-sections and hysterectomies.

But then, I am just a stranger on the internet, not a medical doctor. Ask a well-informed geeky internist about this--you'll get more useful opinions.
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I can't think of any reason you can't lift heavy after a hysterectomy. Especially 10 years out with no complications. Now, if someone had other girl parts worked on like a bladder lift, hernia repair, or a mesh of sorts... that would be more important to check with the doc first. A girly doc who knows their "stuff." :)

Lift on! :) The beauty of this program is that you start easy. Listen to your body. We all know when something's not right. :)
  • geekgirl71
    Options
    thank you everyone...I'm gonna get on with it then!
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Some health issues that relate to whether someone should participate in exercise include things like:

Visceral girth (35" for females and 40" for males)
    Level of activeness (Sedentary increases risk of injury)
    Recent heart murmur
    High blood pressure
    Breathing problems (such as asthma or COPD)
    Smoking
    Serum cholesterol of at least 200 mg/dl and HDL less than 40 mg/dl
    Unknown or unexplained death of a close relative (Such as sibling or parent)

That's all I can remember right now, but I can guarantee you that a hysterectomy is irrelevant.

With that being said, Happy lifting!! :happy: