How to increase elbow strength?

Options
I've lurked on this group for a while, never posted before. Here's my question - I've finished NROL4W and am 1/3 of the way through NROLAbs. I can now do two pull-ups, which is great because before I started last October I've never done a single one in my whole life. But, whenever I do them, I get awful elbow pain that lasts for a week after I quit doing any kind of pull-up/chin-up. I want to progress with them, but just can't. Are there any specific things I can do to help my elbows get stronger, or something else in general I can do? Thanks.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You're probably doing something funky with your form. Post a video.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You're probably doing something funky with your form. Post a video.

^^agreed
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Does the pain happen for pullups as well as chin-ups? Do you get any elbow pain if you do negatives?
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Sorry I don't have a way to post a video, but thanks anyway.

The first time I ever felt pain in my elbows was doing negatives during stage 6 of NROL4W. It does hurt with chin ups and pull ups. I can do inverted rows with my trx thing and those don't seem to bother me.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have a way to post a video, but thanks anyway.

The first time I ever felt pain in my elbows was doing negatives during stage 6 of NROL4W. It does hurt with chin ups and pull ups. I can do inverted rows with my trx thing and those don't seem to bother me.

Have you tried different arm spacing? Sounds to me like you are rotating your shoulders causing stress on your elbows, but without watching you do a couple no way to be sure. Or you could just be in an overtrain situation. I would suggest taking a couple of workouts off from pullups to see if the problem subsides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMuqfru7eE

Watch that video and try to do some of the rotation testing/exercises and see if you experience the same thing. This is basically for "tennis" elbow, but the general thought is that it is a rotation of the arm that brings on the elbow strain.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's likely that you injured your elbow doing a different lift and the pull up is showing it up. Look to your curls, tri push, DL or squats - these, with improper form, can create injury in elbows.