Had to stop the Stronglift emails

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
For some reason I think Mehdi is losing focus on what his original ideals/goals were. As I read them they were to lift heavy with proper form and get stronger.

Now half the emails focus on using "hip bounce" to do heavier squats, which is both not wise from an injury avoidance standpoint and not really getting you any stronger. Any number of people called him out for it on the FB page and he pretty much ignored them. It also goes contrary to the advice of experts like Rippletoe (my new lifitng guru) :) You should definitely use your fully flexed him to help power your squats, but coming down hard enough to bounce at the bottom is horrible form and should not be encouraged.

He also seems obsessed with hitting numbers on his lifts, which struck me as being the antithesis of what Stronglifts is about. The numbers only matter as a measure of progress. When you fail at a number you deload and start again. The only goal should be to get stronger until you reach a point where you like how you look.

The contant reference to "guys" also annoys me for some reason. Does he fail to realize that tons of women use Stronglifts with great success? As a businessowner why refuse to target half of your potential market?

Just my take. Overall I love the program and benefit from it even though I don't follow it exactly. Just seems like as the "leader" the message is starting to stray from his previous points of focus.

Replies

• Erod1972
    Erod1972 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    He has some good advice in the e-mails, but what is starting to bother me besides the bad advice about bouncing is the constant "sales" pitch for his "inner circle" 20 bucks a month for just access is pretty steep, that a real gym membership.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^also how he makes his living, so I can appreciate some advertising for it but I agree it's over the top.
  • 1Adamsk1
    1Adamsk1 Posts: 4
    Options
    It all drives me insane. I had to stop the emails...
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I like the e-mails. Straight and to the point. I don't think he really cares about people who want to cry about them.