Feeling silly with my first few attempts at NROL4W

Options
kmbweber2014
kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
So I got the book, I read it, I studied the workouts, I was pumped and ready. I got to the gym and some jerk left big giant weights on the barbell. Try as I might I could not get those darn things off and no one was willing to help me (my gym is filled with obnoxious meat head bros and cardio bunnies. And no I can't switch gyms because I live in a small town and we only have one, ugh.). Then I started thinking I should probably have a spotter or something? Now I had done squats before with a spotter there to help and what not but never without. How important is a spotter and what do you do if you run into my situation?

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I've gone through NROL4W and am going through Supercharged now. Never had a spotter.

Is the staff at the gym helpful at all? My gym has great staff and they're always available to assist with whatever. I probably would have nicely asked the guy to re-rack. If he didn't I would have reported it to the staff. It's considered very poor etiquette to leave weights on the bar.

Hope your situation gets easier!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Agree with cowgirl! So there are some jerks at your gym- there are some at mine as well, but also nice people will will help or even offer. Worst case scenario I would do them anyway with dumbbells or even body weight. Good luck!!!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've never had a spotter and have completed NROLFW and moved on to Supercharged.

If someone forgets to re-rack, I just consider it a little extra workout within my workout. The big plates are 45 pounds. You should be able to very carefully re-rack them, or ask someone who works at your gym to help you. That's what they're getting paid for.
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do most of my workouts at home so I typically just yell at the last person to not put things back aka The Husband. That being said the gym should help you. Find a worker and tell them it's to much weight for you to move by yourself. They have liability insurance for a reason.

As far as a spotter I haven't seen a need yet but I have only finished Stage one.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The staff isn't very friendly and at this particular time there wasn't anyone around (the guy that had used it before had left before I had realized what he had done). I attempted to remove the weights but I'm a shorty and apparently the last guy likes the bar over his head. Maybe I'll just try it with dumbbells next time. I ended up just getting frustrated and going back to running. I think I was being a bit oversensitive and just need to put on my big girl panties and stop being a baby.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    next time see if you can find a pre-weighted bar and do front squats or trophy squats. The douche bags who refuse to re-rack are even worse than the ones who curl in the racks. I swear I spend 5 minutes at the beginning of each of my lifting sessions trying to figure out if someone is still using the cage.