Low Carb/GF foods for training/racing

Options
jentris
jentris Posts: 30 Member
Hi,

I've recently lost about 70 pounds (20-30 more to go). Most of that weight has come off by eating low carb, little to no grains and mostly gluten free. It's my lifestyle now. Just the way I eat though I do cheat occasionally and when I do I usually do feel the effects.

I'm back to training for a tri and am wondering if any of you have found something that really works. I think I need more carbs but am not sure what to add. Maybe beans? Rice? Banana?

Last year I only did the swim legs for relays including a .9 Olympic and a 1.2 half Iron swim. For those races I ate white rice and some peanut butter which was the closest to my old pre-race favorite of half a bagel with PB.

I have plenty of time before my races to figure this out but as my running mileage is increasing I am noticing that it isn't my lungs or legs wanting to give out but a general lack of energy. I am not opposed to upping my carbs pre-race week but not sure I can continue to lose weight if I add more carbs while training.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Carbs themselves are not bad...they're fuel for the muscles. If you're training, you need fuel. It really boils down to math...you need to eat back some of the calories you burn. My unprofessional advice is just to keep everything in balance. Don't overload on carbs, protein, or fiber but try to keep them balanced. The best thing I did was see a dietitian for advice on my specific dietary needs. Everyone is different and seeing a professional can help you navigate how best to fuel your body. My insurance company even covered the visit since I got a referral from my regular doc. Best of luck!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any grains and carbs consist of about 35% of my diet (was 20%, but I increased for marathon training). I've been eating a lot of bananas and sweet potatoes recently.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've just started adding a cup oatmeal to my breakfast with a splash of honey. It has made a noticeable energy improvement in my workouts. However, I try and avoid grains/oats the rest of the day. Carbs are about 35% of my diet as well.
  • jentris
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has any others, please do share.

I am going to start with bananas.

Oatmeal and I have a funny relationship. I love the taste of it especially with bananas, but I am hungry an hour later, even if I use milk, almond milk, etc. Same for yogurt/protein smoothies. Hungry within minutes.

I'm going to try some before my long run this weekend and see what happens.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I know you said smoothies don't work for you, but I make on that's avocado, chocolate protein powder, cocoa powder, vanilla, and coconut or almond milk. The avocado is high in both fat and carbs, so it's awesome.
  • jentris
    Options
    I know you said smoothies don't work for you, but I make on that's avocado, chocolate protein powder, cocoa powder, vanilla, and coconut or almond milk. The avocado is high in both fat and carbs, so it's awesome.

I'm willing to try it if you care to post/send the recipe. Who knows? Maybe the avocado will fill me up?! And I love vanilla and almond milk.

My dad might like it too. (He's on an almond milk and avocado kick.)
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I'm willing to try it if you care to post/send the recipe. Who knows? Maybe the avocado will fill me up?! And I love vanilla and almond milk.

My dad might like it too. (He's on an almond milk and avocado kick.)

100g ripe avocado
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    1/4 cup milk of choice (I use unsweetened almond milk)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Takes less than two minutes to blend.

When I make it:

cals: 263
    carbs: 17g
    fat: 17g
    protein: 16g
    fiber: 8g
    sugar: 2g
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Look into the Core Diet. www.thecorediet.com It was put together by the founder of QT2 systems. They offer RDs and whatnot, but you can find the principles by googling. Lots of fruit, veggies, legumes, quinoa, sweet potatoes, and to a lesser extent potatoes and whole grain starches.