Running question

Options
VicPuff
VicPuff Posts: 18 Member
Hi,

I know running has been much discussed on the forums, but I am curious about this group's thoughts on running.

I just read an article someone posted on MFP about running making women fat. However, that same website also had some inflammatory stuff about vegetarians not being able to get enough protein (which I completely disagree with).

I not a die hard runner by any means, I started running in October and have done a couple of 5ks and 10ks since then. Since joining MFP last month I've shifted my focus to weight training (I had been doing this anyway, but I've made it more of a priority now). I currently lift three days a week and do cardio three days a week. I do run for cardio but nothing significant - 20 minute interval runs twice a week and a 3-5 mile run once a week.

I feel my training routine is good and don't plan to make any changes at the moment, however I am considering a half marathon this fall which would require me to start training in July. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There is a thread in this group about that article. My thoughts are that the author is full of it.
  • VicPuff
    VicPuff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I found that thread and read it. Interesting!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Lift seriously and done 2 1/2's. It's honestly not easy to balance the 2 but it can be done. I found MY perfect balance with my second 1/2 by only running 3 days a week, no more and with more of a focus on lifting. You need to ensure you're eating enough and not at too large of a deficit. You will definitely need more calories when your mileage gets heavy about 4 weeks out from the race; or more depending on which you plan you follow. Legs will be hard on your lifting days but do not skip them at all regardless of what any other runner who does not lift says. Running does not take the place of what lifting does for your legs. Like I said its not easy, but nothing worth working for is and very rewarding. Good luck to you!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I think there is too much conflict between the world of lifting and the world of cardio. One isn't better than the other, they are just... different.

If you enjoy running, run. It's not going to make you fat. Too much food makes you fat.

Here's the basic breakdown, as I see it. Figure out what you want, and train accordingly -

To lose weight : calorie deficit.
    To lose fat : calorie deficit + macro control + resistance training.
    To gain muscle : calorie surplus + macro control + resistance training.
    To improved heart health and recovery time : cardio.
    To improve overall health : calorie control + macro control + resistance training + cardio.

Note that cardio doesn't have to be steady state. There is mounting evidence that HIIT has many advantages that you don't get from steady state cardio.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Note that cardio doesn't have to be steady state. There is mounting evidence that HIIT has many advantages that you don't get from steady state cardio.

Combining HIIT and lifting may hinder recovery though from what I understand.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1003632-stronglifts-with-hiit-training
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Combining HIIT and lifting may hinder recovery though from what I understand.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1003632-stronglifts-with-hiit-training

Correct. Proper HIIT sessions, as opposed to just interval training, should be treated as a lifting session with regard to recovery. It is usually better to do after lifting rather than the days in between lifting, or on a day where there is at least one days rest after before a lift day.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with running.

What I personally believe the "issue" is with whether or not to do a large cardio routine vs. a large lifting routine is that it is very hard to manage the two if you want to do them at the same time.

It's hard to strength train and be prepping for marathons at the same time, as one will usually end up taking precedence over the other.

It's not exactly easy to run 5 miles prepping for your 10k when you just blasted your legs with deads/squats/presses/hacks etc... the day before.

Most people take things to the absolute extreme when they discuss these things. I do some form of cardio on off days from lifting, but I'm not crazy enough to think that I can lift 3-4 times a week and also train to do a marathon at the same time, different forms of exercise with different requirements and different needs.

I hate it when people "cardio" bash and I hate it when people "lift" bash...they are two completely different types of exercising, and produce different results and as such should have different expectations.
  • HMVOL7409
    Options

What I personally believe the "issue" is with whether or not to do a large cardio routine vs. a large lifting routine is that it is very hard to manage the two if you want to do them at the same time.

It's hard to strength train and be prepping for marathons at the same time, as one will usually end up taking precedence over the other.

It's not exactly easy to run 5 miles prepping for your 10k when you just blasted your legs with deads/squats/presses/hacks etc... the day before.

Most people take things to the absolute extreme when they discuss these things. I do some form of cardio on off days from lifting, but I'm not crazy enough to think that I can lift 3-4 times a week and also train to do a marathon at the same time, different forms of exercise with different requirements and different needs.

I hate it when people "cardio" bash and I hate it when people "lift" bash...they are two completely different types of exercing, and produce different results and as such should have different expectations.

What's being extreme to you? Just curious not debating/arguing against you. Of course one area will lack slightly but training for a 1/2 is a whole different avenue than if she said a full. Full training and lifting, no that would definitely be extreme.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

I hate it when people "cardio" bash and I hate it when people "lift" bash...they are two completely different types of exercing, and produce different results and as such should have different expectations.

What's being extreme to you? Just curious not debating/arguing against you. Of course one area will lack slightly but training for a 1/2 is a whole different avenue than if she said a full. Full training and lifting, no that would definitely be extreme.

I believe that you can take on too much and end up not accomplishing what you want. If I wanted to run a half, I would focus on the training for that half...and if I did lift, it would probably be 2 times a week and I would be upping the weight extremely slowly. Some people have a lot of drive and I applaud that drive, but you can drain your body too much. I don't know if a half would be a major step up for her, and if it would really need more devotion than what she is currently giving it. She has run a couple 5 & 10s and averages 3-5 mile single outings. That needs to go up substantially depending on what her goals are for her half.

I don't consider it inherently extreme to run and lift...I simply believe we tend to get extreme with our goals, where we may be better served to focus on the one, and simply "satiate" our desire for the other.
  • HMVOL7409
    Options

I believe that you can take on too much and end up not accomplishing what you want. If I wanted to run a half, I would focus on the training for that half...and if I did lift, it would probably be 2 times a week and I would be upping the weight extremely slowly. Some people have a lot of drive and I applaud that drive, but you can drain your body too much. I don't know if a half would be a major step up for her, and if it would really need more devotion than what she is currently giving it. She has run a couple 5 & 10s and averages 3-5 mile single outings. That needs to go up substantially depending on what her goals are for her half.

I don't consider it inherently extreme to run and lift...I simply believe we tend to get extreme with our goals, where we may be better served to focus on the one, and simply "satiate" our desire for the other.

Thanks, completely understand where you're coming from. That's why I prefaced in my response that its definitely not an easy task balancing the two and I've seen many suffer trying to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As it looks like the question has been answered, I am locking the thread so we can track active ones. Please feel free to PM either myself or SIdeSteel, including a link to this thread, if you want to add to it, and we will unlock.

Also, if anyone thinks vegetarians cannot get enough protein, they are free to look at my diary :wink:
This discussion has been closed.