Weight Fluctuation Causing Frustration

Options
amsthegreat
amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 158 (ish)
BF%: 25.67

Averages
Calories: This one is hard because I have been having difficulty eating consistantly. I'd say probably around 2300.
Protein: 110
Fat: 80
Carbs: 250

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?
-No.

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
-Yes.

Do you take cheat days or days off?
-I'm not sure how to answer this question. I always track.

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
-107 lbs in three years.

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months?
-I walk to and from work, the gym, and grocery shopping. I have even been known to walk to the mall (2.5 hour walk one way). I also go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I do strength training and I run.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.
-My weight stalled after Thanksgiving (at 163 lbs). I was able to lose weight during Lent (dropped down to 152 lbs), but promptly gained it all back. Since Easter my weight has bounced between 162 lbs and 156 lbs. I have not seen any consistant loss since Easter.

Are you breastfeeding?
-No.

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS?
-No.

I'm not going to lie, I've definitely lost sight of my goals because of this fluctuation. It's driving me nuts. I would much rather have my weight not change at all. I know that fluctuation is normal, but I think it's making me a little obsessed. Thank you, in advance for your time and advice.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Please open your food diary and reply indicating when done.

Thanks
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    Sorry, I thought it was open. It's open now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry, I thought it was open. It's open now.

We will try to get back to you tomorrow with our recommendation.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    When I run an average intake for you over the past month and a half (since beginning of May) I show an average intake of about 2200 calories.

For perspective sake, I cut around 2200 calories and I'm 5'11 and I begin cutting in the mid 190's with significantly more LBM than you.

Just mentioning that fact for perspective regarding intake values. You are eating at least at maintenance calories.

I would suggest the following:
    1800 kcals
    120p
    80f
    150c

And it would really be in your best interest to use a food scale for accuracy purposes.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Feel free to follow up with us in 2 weeks with an update, sooner if you have issues. You can PM either myself or Sarauk2sf.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add, congratulations on your weight loss so far. Truly amazing!
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    I just wanted to add, congratulations on your weight loss so far. Truly amazing!

Thank you! :)
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    Feel free to follow up with us in 2 weeks with an update, sooner if you have issues. You can PM either myself or Sarauk2sf.

Would you like for me to follow up in this thread?

Also, I read all the links before posting. I do measure everything, I just don't own a food scale. Honestly, I feel it is an unrealistic way to eat. If I'm am not sure of how much I'm eating I always overestimate what I think it might be.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Also, I read all the links before posting. I do measure everything, I just don't own a food scale. Honestly, I feel it is an unrealistic way to eat. If I'm am not sure of how much I'm eating I always overestimate what I think it might be.

I am not sure how measuring v weighing is much different except that the latter is more accurate. Also, I am not sure whether you are saying it is unrealistic for people in general or for you. Many people weigh their food, I know SideSteel and I do. Will we weight forever? No. Will we continue to weigh when we have specific goals that mean that it is important to be accurate - probably. There is no issue inherently with not weighing your food - it is when you are not getting results that you want that it is an issue.

Have you had a read through this thread? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Check out the video linked in the OP as to how inaccurate measuring can be.

Please could you follow up in this thread. If it is locked, please PM either myself or SIdeSteel, including a link to the thread, and we will unlock.
  • amsthegreat
    Options

I am not sure how measuring v weighing is much different except that the latter is more accurate. Also, I am not sure whether you are saying it is unrealistic for people in general or for you. Many people weigh their food, I know SideSteel and I do. Will we weight forever? No. Will we continue to weigh when we have specific goals that mean that it is important to be accurate - probably. There is no issue inherently with not weighing your food - it is when you are not getting results that you want that it is an issue.

Have you had a read through this thread? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Please could you follow up in this thread. If it is locked, please PM either myself or SIdeSteel, including a link to the thread, and we will unlock.

I did read that one as well. I didn't see a link to a video, so I will check that out again.

I just mean that I think weighing your food seems like it would be unrealistic for anyone permanently. I understand what you mean about goals though. I know it is more accurate. I guess I just don't feel comfortable doing something that I know I won't be able to always do or make it into a permanent change. I'm weird I guess. That's why weight watchers didn't work for me.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I did read that one as well. I didn't see a link to a video, so I will check that out again.

I just mean that I think weighing your food seems like it would be unrealistic for anyone permanently. I understand what you mean about goals though. I know it is more accurate. I guess I just don't feel comfortable doing something that I know I won't be able to always do or make it into a permanent change. I'm weird I guess. That's why weight watchers didn't work for me.

Who suggested you needed to do this permanently?

This is an effective method to get you closer to your goals. Once you're AT your goal you can do this less and less. If you stall again or start gaining weight, start using the food scale again.

Maintaining is easier than getting there in the first place.

I certainly have no intention of weighing my food for the rest of my life, or even tracking calories on a daily basis. If I wanted to maintain my current physique I could ad-lib eat, not track or weigh anything, and every 3-4 weeks I could monitor weight and if needed take a week or two to track meticulously again and get right back to goal weight in the event my ability to self-regulate food intake is off.

EDIT: What I'm essentially claiming is that just because you are using method A to get to your goals certainly does not mean you must do method A for the rest of your life to maintain your body once you are at goal.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Lastly, if you still have issues with using a food scale despite the information given, that's fine and that's obviously your call.

But we won't be able to give precise feedback without it. The best we can do is to point out that you are eating too many calories, and whether it's through a food scale, or better estimation via eyeballing, or whatever method you are willing to use, you need to reduce your caloric intake in order to create a deficit and start losing weight at a reasonable pace again.

So if you can find a way to do that, more power to you. I won't claim that there only exists one method.

As long as your actual intake is appropriate (weighed or not weighed) that's all that matters. If you can somehow arrive at that intake level in the absence of a food scale, you'll still make progress.

I just doubt most people can do that.
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    Update:

I was going to post LAST week, but the scale I usually use at the gym wasn't working. I did weigh myself on another scale at the gym, but it was so far off from the other one I didn't think it was accurate. My normal scale had last weighed me at 157.8 and this new scales weighed me at 152.4 or 154.2. I should have written it down, but I just thought it was a ridiculous drop, so I didn't pay attention. Today my normal scale was up and running, so I hopped on and it weighed me at 155.6. Just to see what the other would say, I tried it out. I weigh 151.8 according to the other scale.

I'm pretty confused, so if you can offer any clarity, please do.
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    Both show a 3 lbs loss. It is possible, though, that with the old scale (since I missed a week) that it was over two weeks. I think I will continue using both scales for a couple of weeks to see if the losses/gains are at the same rate. Consistency of loss/gain is more important to me than my actual weight. If they both show the same loss next week I will be happy. Although, 3 lbs seems a bit high.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I would use your old scale as a gauge, but take the weight loss with a little skepticism, just in case the 'fixing' of it recalibrated it somehow. You may well have lost 3lb however. Just keep on tracking an hitting your goals.
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    Will do. Perhaps I should update again in a couple of weeks?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yes please. I think 2 weeks should be a good time to check back to see how you are trending.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking so we can track active threads. Please PM either myself or SideSteel when you are ready to update us and we will unlock so you can. Please also include a link to this thread in the PM.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Unlocked at OPs request.
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    Down to 150.8 lbs.

Thank you so much for helping me out. It seems my plateau has been broken.
This discussion has been closed.