Paleo Borscht and Spicy Stew

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
Hi. I made these last night and they came out great.

Paleo Borscht (Russian beet and cabbage stew)...
- 1 lb grass-fed beef stew cubes, seasoned w/S&P and browned in coconut oil
- 2 large beets, peeled and sliced
- 2 small potatoes (can skip these), peeled and cubed
- 1 head of cabbage (I used red, but I don't think it matters), large chunks
- 1 big TB of crushed garlic
- 1 big onion (but I only had 1/2, but I would have used a whole if I'd had it)
- all recipes call for 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, but I didn't have them. I used half jar of Rao's Puttanesca sauce and a jar of home-canned rosemary tomatoes- 1 TB of sour salt
- 1-2 TB of honey

You can put it in a big pot on the stove for 3-4 hours, do it in a crockpot for 8-10 hours. I used my pressure cooker and it was 15 min to get to pressure, 30 min on pressure, and 20 min to release pressure.

Feeds an army. Probably a gallon of stew.

Spicy, less soupy version: let's call it "Spanish Borscht"...
- same us above, through the onion (I actually had no onion for this stew, but I wish I had)
- half jar of Rao's Puttanesca sauce and a jar of home-canned tomato juice (cuz that's what I had left)
- 1 TB of nomnompaleo's magic mushroom powder. Basically an umami bomb made of blitzed dried porcinis and salt.
- 1 heaping TB of Spanish hot paprika
- 1 bay leaf

Same directions to cook as above. It comes out more like stew and less like soup, with an awesome spicyness and richness. nom nom!

BTW... I do NOT do my own canning. I buy cans through a CSA with a local company called MM Local, that cans veggies and fruit from the local organic farms and sells them through CSA and in our local markets.

Replies

• feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    YUM! I need to try this
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hi. I made these last night and they came out great.

Paleo Borscht (Russian beet and cabbage stew)...
    - 1 lb grass-fed beef stew cubes, seasoned w/S&P and browned in coconut oil
    - 2 large beets, peeled and sliced
    - 2 small potatoes (can skip these), peeled and cubed
    - 1 head of cabbage (I used red, but I don't think it matters), large chunks
    - 1 big TB of crushed garlic
    - 1 big onion (but I only had 1/2, but I would have used a whole if I'd had it)
    - all recipes call for 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, but I didn't have them. I used half jar of Rao's Puttanesca sauce and a jar of home-canned rosemary tomatoes- 1 TB of sour salt
    - 1-2 TB of honey

You can put it in a big pot on the stove for 3-4 hours, do it in a crockpot for 8-10 hours. I used my pressure cooker and it was 15 min to get to pressure, 30 min on pressure, and 20 min to release pressure.

Feeds an army. Probably a gallon of stew.

Spicy, less soupy version: let's call it "Spanish Borscht"...
    - same us above, through the onion (I actually had no onion for this stew, but I wish I had)
    - half jar of Rao's Puttanesca sauce and a jar of home-canned tomato juice (cuz that's what I had left)
    - 1 TB of nomnompaleo's magic mushroom powder. Basically an umami bomb made of blitzed dried porcinis and salt.
    - 1 heaping TB of Spanish hot paprika
    - 1 bay leaf

Same directions to cook as above. It comes out more like stew and less like soup, with an awesome spicyness and richness. nom nom!

BTW... I do NOT do my own canning. I buy cans through a CSA with a local company called MM Local, that cans veggies and fruit from the local organic farms and sells them through CSA and in our local markets.

Sounds so good!!!!!
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try your recipe out this weekend. My stews are always so boring.