artificial sweeteners

Options
BeckyAnne4
BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
just wondering what you all use (if you use) artificial sweeteners? i used to use spenda, then switched to truvia. i'm almost out of my truvia, but i'm at a loss when i see so many options at the grocery store. do i stick with the truvia? should i switch to something else? should dr.bashir on DS9 have really been his own grandfather? so many questions!

what do you use, and why did you choose that one?

*edited for spelling error.

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I prefer liquid Splenda (EZ-Sweetz) or stevia because the powders have carby fillers. Just purchased a few flavored stevia liquids (orange, vanilla, cinnamon) and am liking them in my tea and my grain-free sub for oatmeal.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Exactly! So many questions!!
    Should I use artificial sweetners at all? If so, which one?
    Why can't my kids pick up their stuff off the stairs?
    How will I eat well when the weather turns to winter?
    Why was I born with such short legs?
    Why can't I be 5' 8" with a high metabolism?
    When will I win the Powerball?

Margaret
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer stevia.

I've used Equal, but when it gets hot, it doesn't sweeten at all - actually gets a bit bitter.

I've tried splenda - but my stomach told me in no uncertain terms that was NOT acceptable. Can't even handle it in low quantities.

I've also used the pink stuff (Nutrasweet?) But, that leaves a funky after taste for me. However, before discovering stevia, that was the family's fall back when we were baking. The taste CAN be masked, but it takes some thought on how to use the other spices to do so while leaving the sweet alone.

Haven't tried the liquid forms of stevia ... yet.. Waiting until I can actually have the time to try working it into my garden for that. Home pressed, so I wouldn't have to worry about the processing.
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm strictly using Stevia simply because I don't want manmade chemicals in my food, if I can help it. I mainly use Stevia sprinkled on grapefruit or in my special cocktail:
    Cubed Ice
    Fill with Soda Water
    Add one Packet of Powdered Stevia (purchased on iherb.com)
    1/2 t tart cherry juice concentrate (no sugar added)
    1 squeezed key lime
    Mix and use a straw.
    The only 'sweets' I'm doing anymore are my homemade fat bombs with nuts and berries and making my own ground almond cookies with dried fruit. I use our own-grown honey as a sweetener in those...1T goes a looong way!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I am home, I use Stevia, but when I am in a restaurant, I use the Splenda. I should remember to take some Stevia with me in my purse.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I prefer liquid Splenda (EZ-Sweetz) or stevia because the powders have carby fillers. Just purchased a few flavored stevia liquids (orange, vanilla, cinnamon) and am liking them in my tea and my grain-free sub for oatmeal.

Yep, I've found that sticking with liquid sweeteners is the way to go too. Maltodextrin seems to show up in most if not all products labelled sugar-free that are powdered. (such as things Jello, or Crystal Light).

However, the ready made jello (in the little cups) don't have maltodextrin. Stuff that has straight sucralose usually has no maltodextrin. I bought Stevia in the raw, that had enough maltodextrin to mess me up, but the liquid not at all. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get accustomed to the taste, (too much, too little etc.) I guess there's a learning curve there :blushing: