Too slow?

Options
So, w5d3. 20 mins or 2 miles. So really that's running 2 miles in 20 minutes.
I only managed 1.7 miles in the 20 minutes. No problems completing it but should I keep repeating until I make the speed required or carry on?

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I only manage 1.4 miles in the 20 :)

General consensus around here is that it does not matter your speed during the program, once you finish and start putting in more miles you speed will improve greatly!

So move on (I am) and get to the end before you start worrying about increasing speed!
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    Thanks! I came home feeling such a loser. Assumed everyone else was going much faster
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too slow. Make sure you are covering your time comfortably and with practice your pace will naturally improve.
  • vet272
    Options
    Will pushing a jogging stroller be slowing me down or make no difference?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I pushed a double jogging stroller some of the time. It slowed me down maybe two minutes a mile.

The thing is that your time right now *doesn't matter* It just doesn't. This is a conditioning program that lets you build the capacity to run for half an hour.

At the end of the program, you WILL have the physical ability to complete a 5k, though most people don't do it in 30 minutes (a 10 minute mile is really fast). My first 5k was in 40 minutes, pushing a double stroller. I ran the entire way.

I was slower than you at the same point. I just got my race results back from my first 10k - I averaged 11:04 each mile. If I did a 5k now, I'd probably be between 30 and 33 minutes. I'm only 4 months out from graduation.

But the critical thing is: I LOVE to run. I like getting out there and doing all the different types of distance running there are. I like building up my speed and endurance. I like the challenge of hills. I like the camaraderie of running and I like reading about it. I like doing accessory exercises to improve my hip and glute strength so I can achieve better form. I like racing. I love pushing my limits another notch.

Every runner out there thinks that they're slow compared to the next guy. You are doing what you need to do to train at your level. Be proud of it and enjoy what you're doing.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I did W5D3 this morning and only did about 1.2 miles in the 20 minutes. I'm seriously thinking, once I finish, to repeating the C25K, starting at week 3, but do it distance-wise the second time.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Some people do that. However, I'd seriously suggest using SmartCoach on Runner's World to build a personalized training plan. It's easy, free, tailored to your current abilities, and will help you build speed and distance at the same time.
  • becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I finished W5D3 last night. In the whole 30 minutes, I went 1.99 miles (jogging at a 4.3 pace). I consider it a victory because a few weeks ago, I was breathing so hard after 4 minutes of jogging.
  • babybl00310
    Options
    Well done. I think W5D3 is definitely the turning point. Once you reach that 20 minutes it's like your mind somehow believes that your body can do it.
  • vet272
    Options
    I did W5D3 this morning and only did about 1.2 miles in the 20 minutes. I'm seriously thinking, once I finish, to repeating the C25K, starting at week 3, but do it distance-wise the second time.

What a good idea!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm completing the program tomorrow and I can run for the 30 minutes but I am nowhere close to finishing 5k. I figure I will slowly work on my speed or maybe I will just work on running for longer than 30 min. Either way. I'm going to keep working to progress and feel great satisfaction that I can run for 30 min. Yes I am a little disappointed that I'm not running 5K in 30 min but considering I have never been a runner I think I'm doing pretty good!!! You are too!!! Keep at it.
  • babybl00310
    Options
    I've told my friend to savour running the 30 minutes for a week or two and then we're going to take it up to 32 minutes and then 35 minutes two days a week. On the other day we run together we're going to work on her pace by repeating C25k from week 1 but instead of run a minute, walk 90 seconds we're going to do the run sections at a slightly faster pace than her normal pace and in the walking sections we're going back to comfortable pace.

Don't worry about running the full 5k in 30 minutes. There is no rule that says you have to do this.5k is 5k regardless of whether you do it in 25 minutes or 45 minutes.
  • becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm completing the program tomorrow and I can run for the 30 minutes but I am nowhere close to finishing 5k. I figure I will slowly work on my speed or maybe I will just work on running for longer than 30 min. Either way. I'm going to keep working to progress and feel great satisfaction that I can run for 30 min. Yes I am a little disappointed that I'm not running 5K in 30 min but considering I have never been a runner I think I'm doing pretty good!!! You are too!!! Keep at it.

Do you mind if I ask how far you go?
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed. Just continue with the program. Your pace will increase as your endurance improves. I used to average 11 minutes/mile, and my last run was 30 minutes with an average pace of 9:45 min/mile. The hardest part is to keep it up for those extended periods of time, so great job on completing the 20 minutes!
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't worry about speed yet if you are a new runner. C25K builds up your endurance so you can run for 30 minutes straight. As you continue to run you will get faster. I finished C25K in January, ran my first 5k race in February with a 39.45 finish. Ran my second 5k last weekend and finished at 35.45! I still try to run 3x each week and do different workouts - some with intervals to increase my pace, some with longer runs to work on endurance.
  • saunderl
    saunderl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just graduated today :) and in the 30 minutes I run 4k, I am still very proud of myself considering how hard the first day was. I did the program on the treadmill so now i am going to start c210k outside and then do one long run on the weekend on the treadmill. I find it much harder to run outside than on the treadmill.

Just keep at it and be proud of what you are accomplishing, everyone is different so their speed will be too.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Do you mind if I ask how far you go?

I'm right around 2 miles right now
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I was up to 2.25 miles by graduation.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I pushed a double jogging stroller some of the time. It slowed me down maybe two minutes a mile.

The thing is that your time right now *doesn't matter* It just doesn't. This is a conditioning program that lets you build the capacity to run for half an hour.

At the end of the program, you WILL have the physical ability to complete a 5k, though most people don't do it in 30 minutes (a 10 minute mile is really fast). My first 5k was in 40 minutes, pushing a double stroller. I ran the entire way.

I was slower than you at the same point. I just got my race results back from my first 10k - I averaged 11:04 each mile. If I did a 5k now, I'd probably be between 30 and 33 minutes. I'm only 4 months out from graduation.

But the critical thing is: I LOVE to run. I like getting out there and doing all the different types of distance running there are. I like building up my speed and endurance. I like the challenge of hills. I like the camaraderie of running and I like reading about it. I like doing accessory exercises to improve my hip and glute strength so I can achieve better form. I like racing. I love pushing my limits another notch.

Every runner out there thinks that they're slow compared to the next guy. You are doing what you need to do to train at your level. Be proud of it and enjoy what you're doing.

Thanks for this!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I agree: don't worry about your speed right now.

When I was training (on a treadmill), I jogged at 6Km/hr (3.75 miles/hr) and slowed down when needed. At graduation, I was running a bit quicker (about 6.4Km/hr), so speed comes naturally and on its own.

After graduating, I aimed to complete 5K so I increased my jogging time and completed my first complete 5K run in 50 minutes. It was about that time when the weather allowed me to start jogging outdoors and I was gobsmacked at how poorly I did. It's taken me quite some time to be able to jog 5K outdoors; it's been a challenge but one I loved doing. Yesterday I jogged an outdoor 5K in 44 minutes. Not great but getting better and I know it'll continue to get better as time goes on (if I can jog 5K in 44 minutes outdoors, I'm sure I can do it in under 40 minutes on the treadmill).

Hang in there. You're doing great!