So about wine...

Options
stl_nana
stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
Hi Everyone,

I've been working at achieving ketosis though I don't use the ketostix to measure. Yesterday I did very well and then had a couple of glasses of wine at the end of the day. :drinker: Still kept my net carbs at 22 as well as rest of my macros in range.

So my question is this. Will the wine effect ketosis?.

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Any alcohol pauses ketosis until its metabolized. If you're going to drink wine, stick to dry whites as they are lower carb.
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    wine kicks me out every time !!!! I like sweet wines so it doesnt go well with ketosis... i had a celebration over weekend with alot of out of town company.. I knew I would be kicked out so I am diligent now with the carb counts under 10% and it takes me 4 or 5 days to get back in ketosis!!!!
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Looks like I need to just stay away from the cocktails and stay on track.
  • dlaciv12
    dlaciv12 Posts: 13
    Options
    I always thought dry reds were lower than whites? We stick with reds because we like them better and I think there are more health benefits from the tanins, etc.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Any alcohol pauses ketosis until its metabolized. If you're going to drink wine, stick to dry whites as they are lower carb.

This is really interesting to me because I'm able to drink up to 3-4 glasses of dry white (chard is my favorite) and I will still register moderate on the ketostix (while drinking over the course of an evening) and the following morning as well, as long as my overall carb counts for the day are in line (I try to stay 20-40 grams, for the most part). I've tested this most recently just this week.

When you say alcohol "pauses ketosis," are you really saying that your body will burn the alcohol for fuel before it burns fat? Can you point me toward some more info on the subject? I'll be the first to say that I don't lose as quickly when I include wine, but I don't seem to leave a ketogenic state, either.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    When you say alcohol "pauses ketosis," are you really saying that your body will burn the alcohol for fuel before it burns fat? Can you point me toward some more info on the subject?

The liver will first metabolize the alcohol, since it is a toxin, before anything else.

I didn't put a lot of effort into googling sources, but this looks good to explain, in context of low-carb:
    http://kickincarbclutter.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-does-alcohol-affect-fat-metabolism.html
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    wine has carbs in it so too many carbs will bump you out of ketosis if you don't include the wine in your daily carb alottment. i have figured out that if i am really low on my carbs for the day then i may be able to afford 6 or 7 oz of wine at night with no ill effects but generally speaking i would rather eat my limited carbs not drink them!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    wine has carbs in it so too many carbs will bump you out of ketosis if you don't include the wine in your daily carb alottment. i have figured out that if i am really low on my carbs for the day then i may be able to afford 6 or 7 oz of wine at night with no ill effects but generally speaking i would rather eat my limited carbs not drink them!!!
    Wine has so very few carbs...
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Interesting :)