I hate cross-legged poses.

Options
KyleneSusan
KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
I love doing yoga. I've been practicing for several years, so I think I've got the basics down pretty well. I'm not fantastic at it, but at 240-something pounds, I haven't got the lean, athletic build that can do yoga really well. But still, it's something that I really enjoy doing.

That said, I hate doing cross-legged poses. So many of the poses that we do in my class have the legs in a position that I cannot achieve right now because of the thickness of my limbs. Especially things like cow-face pose. It is absolutely impossible for me to get my foot to touch the floor on the other side of my leg. And it's not entirely because of flexibility in my hips -- that's a challenge, but that's not the problem here. The problem is that my legs are too thick to let me do that.

And I hate it. I can't find a way to alter the pose to make it work, other than just sitting in fire-log or easy pose and focusing the rest of me on what's happening from the waist on up.

I have started to cry in yoga class just because I cannot find a way to get into a pose. Not because my body isn't strong enough to hold it or because my flexibility won't let me get there. I understand those limitations. But poses where I know could go if only my fat wasn't in the way? Those make me cry.

Does anybody else know what I mean?

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. Both Gomukhasana (cow-faced) and Garudasana (eagle), getting one's legs around each other, doesn't happen all that well. Most people would consider me extremely flexible, yet I struggle with both of those poses. Lots of height under your hips will help cow-faced pose, because it will change the angle of your legs to the floor and may help you get your foot down - I'm talking lots of height - a block or two, in fact, two lying flat would be where I would start.

BTW, have you asked your teacher after class to work with you?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I also find Eagle Pose impossible to wrap my legs around and also get my palms to meet in any way due to thigh and bicep size. Having said that, I can hold Warrior stances, Tree pose and headstands comfortably where weaker bodies struggle so I am happy with the compromise.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    This question interests me. I'm obese and plan on starting yoga soon. There are a decent selection of books and DVDs out there for heavier people, but they all seem to be geared toward beginners.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I do know what you mean! absolutely. But one of the things that I have learned in yoga is that there are poses and things that naturally come to some while they remain a life-long quest for others. We all have our idiosyncrasies and working with our challenges are what truly forms our practice I think. I for one am short - which makes for short limbs lol - and binds are one of the things I struggle with. And of course I think if only I was slimmer, my thighs smaller, arms longer, more flexible, etc..etc...! I could go on. But I keep getting closer and closer... and as one of my teachers says: yoga is a practice of millimeters. And those thoughts don't serve me or my practice.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: don't despair. Whether it's the extra weight or bad knees or short arms, work with what you have. Mary made good suggestions and I would ask the teacher for props and modifications to help you get into your poses. And BTW, size and build doesn't necessarily equal ability. I see it all the time. Besides, the fact that you're here on MFP tells me that you're working on your weight, which means that it won't be a limitation forever. Keep doing what you love and enjoy! Do what serves you best:)
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I absolutely know what you mean! When I first started doing yoga I weighed 25 lbs more than I do now. I've still got a ways to go until I reach my weighloss goal but once I got that first 25 lbs off I noticed that many postures in yoga were now accessible. As the other writers have mentioned, depending on the length of your limbs in relation to you body and height, etc, some poses are always going to give you a problem. I can't do eagle legs all that well either, but I do what I can. Don't be too upset, I'm here to tell you that if you keep at it things will get better, it just takes time. All of a sudden one day you'll just do something like full lotus, and you'll cry with joy! Namaste.:flowerforyou:
  • KyleneSusan
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. Both Gomukhasana (cow-faced) and Garudasana (eagle), getting one's legs around each other, doesn't happen all that well. Most people would consider me extremely flexible, yet I struggle with both of those poses. Lots of height under your hips will help cow-faced pose, because it will change the angle of your legs to the floor and may help you get your foot down - I'm talking lots of height - a block or two, in fact, two lying flat would be where I would start.

BTW, have you asked your teacher after class to work with you?

Thank you! I'll try that with the blocks when I practice tomorrow.

I have mentioned to her that I have trouble with some of the poses, but she hasn't been able to help me much. We don't have a lot of time at the end of class and there are too many people in class to deal with it then. We were going to do a one-on-one practice, but it never actually happened.
  • KyleneSusan
    Options
    I also find Eagle Pose impossible to wrap my legs around and also get my palms to meet in any way due to thigh and bicep size. Having said that, I can hold Warrior stances, Tree pose and headstands comfortably where weaker bodies struggle so I am happy with the compromise.

Ooooh, yeah, I dislike Eagle pose a lot. The only way I can get my arms anywhere close to the right position is to hold onto a strap. And I'm not sure I'll ever get my legs the right way there. Everybody in my class knows how much I dislike that pose. And my teacher points out how I'm using a strap for effective modifications pretty often. But every time she asks if we have an idea for a standing balancing pose, I'd much rather do Half Moon than Eagle because, yeah, my strength in my legs is much better than my ability to wind up around myself.

I'm working on my acceptance of that....
  • KyleneSusan
    Options
    This question interests me. I'm obese and plan on starting yoga soon. There are a decent selection of books and DVDs out there for heavier people, but they all seem to be geared toward beginners.

Beginning is always a good place to start! Let me know if you find any of them that are good! I'd love to see what they're recommending. :)

Good luck with your yoga! I've been doing it for more than 10 years, on and off, and I've always enjoyed it, even when it's a little frustrating.
  • KyleneSusan
    Options
    I do know what you mean! absolutely. But one of the things that I have learned in yoga is that there are poses and things that naturally come to some while they remain a life-long quest for others. We all have our idiosyncrasies and working with our challenges are what truly forms our practice I think. I for one am short - which makes for short limbs lol - and binds are one of the things I struggle with. And of course I think if only I was slimmer, my thighs smaller, arms longer, more flexible, etc..etc...! I could go on. But I keep getting closer and closer... and as one of my teachers says: yoga is a practice of millimeters. And those thoughts don't serve me or my practice.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: don't despair. Whether it's the extra weight or bad knees or short arms, work with what you have. Mary made good suggestions and I would ask the teacher for props and modifications to help you get into your poses. And BTW, size and build doesn't necessarily equal ability. I see it all the time. Besides, the fact that you're here on MFP tells me that you're working on your weight, which means that it won't be a limitation forever. Keep doing what you love and enjoy! Do what serves you best:)

I have short little arms, too! And my teacher has "monkey arms." So when she sits down on the floor, she can touch the floor with her palms and has to bend her elbows a little. I have to reach to touch with my fingers. I'm constantly using blocks to bring the floor up closer to my hands!

I like that bit, though, about yoga being a "practice of millimeters." I'm going to have to remember that. And keep working on the bits that I can work on, be it decreasing the width of my limbs or increasing my flexibility or just accepting that this is where I am and that is OK.
  • KyleneSusan
    Options
    I absolutely know what you mean! When I first started doing yoga I weighed 25 lbs more than I do now. I've still got a ways to go until I reach my weighloss goal but once I got that first 25 lbs off I noticed that many postures in yoga were now accessible. As the other writers have mentioned, depending on the length of your limbs in relation to you body and height, etc, some poses are always going to give you a problem. I can't do eagle legs all that well either, but I do what I can. Don't be too upset, I'm here to tell you that if you keep at it things will get better, it just takes time. All of a sudden one day you'll just do something like full lotus, and you'll cry with joy! Namaste.:flowerforyou:

Thank you!!! I'm looking forward to the day when I realize that some of the challenges I'm facing right now have melted away.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'll try that with the blocks when I practice tomorrow.

I have mentioned to her that I have trouble with some of the poses, but she hasn't been able to help me much. We don't have a lot of time at the end of class and there are too many people in class to deal with it then. We were going to do a one-on-one practice, but it never actually happened.

Let me know if it helped or not.