Gloves or no gloves?

Options
RRRobynnn
RRRobynnn Posts: 31 Member
I'm in the middle of Stage 2 and notice that I'm starting to get some gnarly looking calluses on my hands. I don't wear gloves now, but I'm beginning to think it may be a good idea. OTOH, I want to improve my grip strength as much as possible.

Replies

• mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I currently do not wear them, but I am only in Stage 1 just did workout #5 yesterday and deadlifted 95#, my grip is good woithout them, but like you said the callouses can get bad. My hubby likes my soft hands, so I might have to break down and get some gloves before too long.........
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I use gloves. My grip is good, but the callouses are an issue on the more delicate parts of my boyfriend. :wink:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I use gloves and they seem to do more to save my skin than hinder my grip strength..
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves. They are pale pink :)

I'm a bit precious that way, I would HATE to get callouses and I find that it just helps me hold the bar better. When I forget my gloves, or if they are in the wash, I notice. And being winter, those bars and weights are cold at 5am!

I think it's a personal thing.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I wore them for a short time, but I have short fingers and the gloves made it really hard to grip the bar. I DL 165lbs and I have some nice callouses now, but not enough that anyone notices but me.
    But I am genetically predisposed to have ugly man hands, so I don't really care anyway.
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    I use gloves. My grip is good, but the callouses are an issue on the more delicate parts of my boyfriend. :wink:

This^^^^ :bigsmile:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I have callouses. I've not found gloves that are comfy/ suitable/ cheap. If my hubby suggested my hands were too rough, I'd tell him to toughen the f**k up. Or go without.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I only wear the gloves when using the barbell. I find the bar to be a little too rough. I also have this stupid, persistent patch of eczema on my palm and the cortisone cream I use thins out my skin. The extra protection makes me feel a little better.
  • RRRobynnn
    RRRobynnn Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that my palms would have to be covered in broken glass before my dh would complain. :)

I'm going to look for a pair of cheap gloves and give them a try when I'm using the barbell. I can't stand how the calluses feel. Ick!
  • mrs_mab
    Options

I'm pretty sure that my palms would have to be covered in broken glass before my dh would complain. :)

I'm going to look for a pair of cheap gloves and give them a try when I'm using the barbell. I can't stand how the calluses feel. Ick!

:laugh: hehehee!
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    No gloves for me. My husband and I have fun comparing callouses! :-D
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    1. I can't find gloves small enough

And

2. I think callouses are badass! :)
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    1. I can't find gloves small enough

And

2. I think callouses are badass! :)

Right on beck...me too!

I used them when I first started lifting, but found they hindered my grip.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i do use gloves and they work like magic on my hands. i wasnt too bothered about the look of my callouses the main issue was the pain they came with!
    im using these babies and they proved to be perfect for me (shame that they didnt have the leopard print in my size)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003V3MWTK/ref=aw_ls__1?colid=XO3MFS6A0ZLF&coliid=I32LYSIXJWHS3P&vs=1