Can eating more or lifting weights cause this?

Options
KatieDuvall612
KatieDuvall612 Posts: 17 Member
I started lifting last fall but wasn't eating enough to support it (VLCD for at least a year) and saw very little changes in strength and body. In December I found the EM2WL advice, increased my calories, started doing a reset, and lifting heavier.

I felt better overall but starting in January or February, I began experiencing changes that seem to be hormonal and it's continuously gotten worse since then. I'm having issues I haven't had since puberty. TOM is nonexistent which is very odd considering I have endometriosis and I've always had terrible cycles. My skin is oily, I'm getting acne on my face, neck, and upper back, my scalp is oily, I'm getting some minor dandruff, and I feel hot and sweat more often. What. the. heck. I love the lifestyle changes but this is not cool and although it's not necessarily terrible and noticeable to others, it's bothering me.

My doctor doesn't seem concerned but she also doesn't have any idea of what could have caused it even after telling her about my increase in calories and exercise. My blood tests came back normal so no thyroid issues. So... has anyone else experienced this, is it common due to EM2WL and exercise, or am I just a freak? I've read before that eating VLCD can throw off hormones and cause issues like dry skin, hair falling out, etc. so I can only assume that the opposite can happen when increasing, right? I'm hoping it levels off soon, but it's been over 5 months and gotten worse the last couple.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Did they do blood test that included testosterone levels?

You have some, and lifting can increase them, and some of what you list can be effected by that. Just one thought.

Otherwise the results of increased metabolism are good.

Now perhaps the eating more has caused you to find some food choices that the body is getting stressed with. Again though, usually you remove the stress of undereating by too much, body can handle food stresses better, but it may be you've discovered something the body is having an issue with.
  • KatieDuvall612
    Options
    Thanks for the response, Heybales.

I've been eating the same foods since before the calorie increase and have to eat mostly "clean" due to some food allergies so I doubt it's food choices. It definitely coincided with when I started eating more and lifting heavier though. I forgot to mention before that I also started running in February so my exercise increased even more.

Good question about testosterone levels. I don't think my blood work tested it since the doctor only mentioned T3 and T4 levels, but I'll give my doc a call to double check. I'm baffled by these new changes. If it's due to a slight increase in testosterone from lifting, do you think it will eventually get better once my body gets more used to it?

Also, I'm hungry ALL the time now. lol. I know part of this is probably due to lifting and increasing my metabolism, but it's funny how I used to struggle to eat 1200 calories and now if I'm not careful I can easily eat 3000 a day!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    It sounds like you and I have a lot in common but some differences as well. Unfortunately I dont have any answers for you as my next (and 4th) Dr. appointment isnt until the 18th. Nobody has been concerned too much but me so far that i've only had one period in the last 12 months (after ALWAYS being regular). But they do think it is something that needs answers so i've been shuffled around with a full blood workup to check for signs PCOS , an endovag and a pelvic ultrasound and nothing really abnormal turns up so they are baffled thus far.

HOWEVER..my situation is similar in that I came from a VLCD and high intensity exercise. It was during this time that I quit getting my cycle. I found out I was starving and have increased calories more and more to where on most days while eating clean I have to really try to stay under 2800! Seems crazy but my bodymedia says my average daily burn is 3300. Anywho...your welcome to friend me. I'll be happy to share any info I get that maybe could help you and id be interested to hear anything you find out as well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So running can be a very sweat intensive exercise, it is for me, even in Feb!

As such, if you lose blood volume due to be slightly dehydrated for longer periods of time, or drinking more than enough compared to intake of sodium and potassium, it can mess with electrolyte levels in the blood, and that is not a good thing either. Those could be side effects to side effects, those you listed aren't the normal ones though. But it's a great stress on the body, so you could be showing something. Do you intake enough potassium and sodium?

Regarding T levels going up from lifting - genetic, just depends on you.

Hunger is good, that means body is getting enough for basic things it wants more to make improvements.
    There's the rub, if you can fight the hunger and sure the deficit is reasonable, then more fat will be burned. Sadly performance gains won't be as great as they could be, because you aren't going to eat too much.
  • KatieDuvall612
    Options
    Photojunkie, I'm adding you as a friend! I hope you get some answers soon also. I've been wondering about PCOS too but I had full blood work done last year (before all these crazy symptoms just as an a routine check-up) and everything was normal. The odd thing about my menstrual cycle is I've always had terribly long periods due to endo. and even while VLCD and had to be on the pill to control it for a while; it wasn't until recently when I started eating more and exercising more intensely that I started missing them... It's so odd.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with the hunger. Do you find your Body Media to be pretty accurate for calorie burns? I wonder if I should get one and if it would take some of the guess work out for me. I thought I'd found my true TDEE but now I'm not so sure - I seem to be maintaining regardless of intake and I've been trying at this for several months.

Heybales, I think my potassium and sodium are ok and I drink a lot of water so probably not dehydration. As for the sweating, I meant that I've noticed I'm hot more often in general, not just while exercising. Although, running definitely kicks my butt and causes more, lol. Maybe it is just the T levels, like you suggested. Thanks again for all the insight!
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but currently I've made some changes regarding my hormones and lifestyle and one big thing is hyperthyroid & adrenal fatigue. Some of your symptoms fall into this category. Could be all to do with your body being stressed for an extended period of time on vlcd. But definitely look into PCOS, my cycles used to be 3-5 months long but that was over 15 years ago.

In my experience even if you have tests in the normal range when you add them all up sometimes normal definitely is not. scraping over normal is not always healthy in my opinion. Keep researching till you are happy. That's what I did and will never look back.

I hoe you find the answers you need. :)