Body Fat Percentage Calculator

Options
craudi
craudi Posts: 126 Member
Hi all :) Does anyone have a good recommendation for a body fat calculator and lean body mass calculator? I know doing your own measurements aren't as accurate as doing them at the doc, but I'm just trying to get a general idea, as a starting point.

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    These are the two I use. The scooby one seems more accurate, but the fat2fit one is simplier I think.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/

Anita
  • craudi
    Options
    These are the two I use. The scooby one seems more accurate, but the fat2fit one is simplier I think.

Anita

Using the fat 2 fit link it's saying that I'm already at 25% bf, and if I want to get down to 16% (which i think would be too low for me, but i'm just saying), then i'd only have to drop to 183 lbs! I'm 205 right now at 5'4". i don't believe BMI is an accurate way to measure things, but at 5"4', 205 = BMI is 35.18. And that doesn't seem right. What the heck am I doing wrong?? It seems strange that this doesn't take into account height since someone that's 6' tall at 205 would have different goals than someone at 5'4".

Super confused.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Anita

Using the fat 2 fit link it's saying that I'm already at 25% bf, and if I want to get down to 16% (which i think would be too low for me, but i'm just saying), then i'd only have to drop to 183 lbs! I'm 205 right now at 5'4". i don't believe BMI is an accurate way to measure things, but at 5"4', 205 = BMI is 35.18. And that doesn't seem right. What the heck am I doing wrong?? It seems strange that this doesn't take into account height since someone that's 6' tall at 205 would have different goals than someone at 5'4".

Super confused.

I'm 5'3" and 168ish, but nowhere near 16% bf. lol. More like 34% by my scale (I know it's not accurate), and lower than that via calipers (1-site measure - I don't remember exact number, but I was in the "average" range).

Did you have it set to female? That would be about right for a male, I think?

Edited for typo!
  • craudi
    Options

Anita

Super confused.

I'm 5'3" and 168ish, but nowhere near 16% bf. lol. More like 34% by my scale (I know it's not accurate), and lower than that via calipers (1-site measure - I don't remember exact number, but I was in the "average" range).

Edited for typo!

I keep thinking I figured it out...but then I get confused again. This is what my results page says after I plug in my measurements:
    The formula below will not calculate your exact body fat percentage. This calculation should give you a consistent measurement you can use as a guideline and determine if you're losing body fat and/or muscle.

Here's the information that you entered:

Sex: female
    Wrist: 6.5 inches
    Waist: 41 inches
    Hip: 46.5 inches
    Forearm: 11 inches
    Thigh: 27 inches
    Calf: 18.25 inches

Based on this information, you have a lean body mass of 154 pounds. Your lean body mass includes everything in your body that's not fat. Now that we know your lean body mass, let's find out how much fat you're carrying around. We'll subtract your lean body mass from your weight and find you currently have 51 pounds of fat on your body.

Your body fat percentage is 25.1%.

Now that you have this informtion, visit our Goal Body Weight calculator and figure out how much you should weight based on your current lean body mass and body fat percentage.

Custom Goal Body Weight Calculation

You currently weigh 205 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25.1%. You would like to have a body fat percentage of 21%.

Based on this information, your goal body weight should be:

195 pounds

How did we calculate this goal body weight?

We took you current weight and your current body fat percentage and multiplied them together. (Weight X Current Body Fat %/100) to get how many pounds of you is actually just fat. In this case you are currently carrying around 51 pounds of fat. To get your goal body weight we work backwards and divide your lean body mass by one minus your goal body fat percentage. (Lean Body Mass / (1 - Goal Body Fat %/100). This calculation yields your goal body weight.

When you reach your goal, hopefully you have maintained your current lean body mass of 154 pounds.

Oh well, at least I know that I just need to lose fat, and gaining some muscle won't hurt me of course. I guess I won't stress about these numbers so much right now.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Fat2fit says I'm 26% last time I did a measurement I was 32% my scales say 33. I'd love to be 26 but I dont think I am.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Anita

Super confused.

Edited for typo!

I keep thinking I figured it out...but then I get confused again. This is what my results page says after I plug in my measurements:
    The formula below will not calculate your exact body fat percentage. This calculation should give you a consistent measurement you can use as a guideline and determine if you're losing body fat and/or muscle.

Here's the information that you entered:

Sex: female
    Wrist: 6.5 inches
    Waist: 41 inches
    Hip: 46.5 inches
    Forearm: 11 inches
    Thigh: 27 inches
    Calf: 18.25 inches

Based on this information, you have a lean body mass of 154 pounds. Your lean body mass includes everything in your body that's not fat. Now that we know your lean body mass, let's find out how much fat you're carrying around. We'll subtract your lean body mass from your weight and find you currently have 51 pounds of fat on your body.

Your body fat percentage is 25.1%.

Now that you have this informtion, visit our Goal Body Weight calculator and figure out how much you should weight based on your current lean body mass and body fat percentage.

Custom Goal Body Weight Calculation

You currently weigh 205 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25.1%. You would like to have a body fat percentage of 21%.

Based on this information, your goal body weight should be:

195 pounds

How did we calculate this goal body weight?

We took you current weight and your current body fat percentage and multiplied them together. (Weight X Current Body Fat %/100) to get how many pounds of you is actually just fat. In this case you are currently carrying around 51 pounds of fat. To get your goal body weight we work backwards and divide your lean body mass by one minus your goal body fat percentage. (Lean Body Mass / (1 - Goal Body Fat %/100). This calculation yields your goal body weight.

When you reach your goal, hopefully you have maintained your current lean body mass of 154 pounds.

Oh well, at least I know that I just need to lose fat, and gaining some muscle won't hurt me of course. I guess I won't stress about these numbers so much right now.

Those are for your current weight, but you should retake it after every 10-15 lb loss.
  • craudi
    Options

Those are for your current weight, but you should retake it after every 10-15 lb loss.

That's kind of what I'm figuring out. Thank you! :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're measuring properly. You shouldn't be forcing the tape measure. If the tape measure is pressing in like clothing that's too small, then you're forcing it too much. Also, make sure your tape is fairly new, and replace it if it gets too old. Measuring tape will stretch after a while, giving you smaller readings.

This site has some decent images and instructions for just about every body part - http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Measurements-(For-Women)
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    Mine is saying 17.2%, 21%, and 25.2% on the fat2fit ones....wtf. My calipers (checking from abdomen only) said 23.8%, and my BF scale says like 19% or something. What in the heck, lol. Those are all soo different; I have no idea what to believe!!
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use the Fit 2 Fat Military Body Fat Calculator (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/) mainly because it requires less measurements and I'm just using it to measure progress from when I started so I don't really care what my real values are as long as the tool I'm using to do the measurements is the same I can track the progress I'm making.

Since I started using the above site on Jan 21 my BF has gone from 40.7% with a LBM of 176 to 28.3% with a LBM of 190. So I've dropped 45 pounds of fat and gained 14 pounds of muscle (or non-fat, I hope it's mostly muscle). I really wish I had found the site when I started losing so I could see my true starting numbers since I'm a data nerd but I'm quite happy with the results so far.