Ugh...just had a major non-paleo feast!

Options
Although I haven't been on the plan perfectly for any length of time, this was my first major deviation. I'm not even sure what happened! I did have one pure paleo week last week. Then I went out for a few drinks and had a pop tart and a bit of leftover spaghetti...then 2 days later, an ice cream...then another ice cream yesterday...I wasn't really concerned about this, because the rest of my meals and snacks were all Paleo, and I am still working my way into this and improving. Then today, I was having a MAJOR craving for PB&J (one of my big downfalls). Well, I substituted almond butter, but that was the only thing. I ended up having 1 and 1/2 sandwiches followed by cheez-its...uck! I did notice that while I followed the plan perfectly, my cravings did disappear....seems like maybe I got too lenient too early.

Replies

• whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi brenbrenm,

Slip-ups happen. Now you have to decide what to do next.

You may want to try something like a Whole30 to help break you of some of your old habits and cravings.

One thing that has really helped me so far (I'm less than 2 weeks into this!) was cleaning out and re-organizing my fridge and pantry.

We weren't able to use up all of our non-paleo foods prior to starting the challenge, but didn't want to totally get rid of them, either. I cleaned out our pantry and put all of the non-paleo foods together on the top shelf, almost out of sight, and out of easy reach. Same thing with the fridge, any non-paleo stuff got stuck in the back of the freezer or back of the fridge.

This way we have it all if/when we need it, but it will take a little extra effort to dig it out for a cheat.

Good luck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Paleo will not get easier unless you commit fully. It's very vital in the beginning to stick with it quite strictly so that cravings can be overcome. It takes longer than a week. That's why the Whole30 is good way to start for many people. I don't do it because I have seen too many people wait for the end of the 30 days and then get carried away with non Paleo foods. I'm in it forever, there is no deadline so I am happy to chug along on a slightly less restricted plan (however, most people consider what I do even more restricted re: carbs). However, I stay pretty close to Primal 95% of the time. I am derailed my the tiniest things and it just isn't worth it to me to be constantly struggling.

I hope that you can figure out what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • rothenbr
    rothenbr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Common challenge. The Whole30 is a good way to start. I did it last year (lost 20 lbs) and started again today. Getting rid of your trigger foods helps as does have a variety of good snacks around the house (different vegetables, different nuts, etc.).

If you have an off day, make sure to have a successful two days follow it. I will never be able to give up all non-paleo foods, but I can drastically limit my intake. No more will I have a slice of some dessert and have someone put a second on my plate to finish it off.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had a bagel yesterday for breakfast, I was starving and it was free at my job. It was the first bagel I've had since New Year's Day. I don't hate myself for it and I'm glad I got it "out of my system".