When did your appetite decrease?

Options
Hi, I'm on day 2 of my paleo diet now and I've been trying to keep within my calorie limits for weight loss also but I'm still quite hungry after eating. I've been eating about 1kg of veg, generous amounts of fat and protein. I'm sticking within my goals of 10% carbs (for less than 50g total per day), 60% fat and 30% just and if I go over anything, I exercise to cover the gap. I know 2 days is a little amount of time but I was wondering when peoples appetites usually decrease on Paleo? Should I bother sticking within my calories until I find my appetite decreasing?

(Veg has been broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, some carrot, fat has been extra virgin coconut oil plus from meat and protein has been salmon, chicken, beef and turkey)

Thanks for any replies :)

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Your appetite will decrease eventually (for me it takes 3 days, but some people take longer). Make sure that you are eating enough healthy fat.

When first starting this lifestyle, it is my opinion that you should eat as much as you need to get through the cravings and withdrawals from your previous lifestyle. There is no need to struggle with hunger,ever. Eat however much you need to feel full, but stop when satisfied, but focus on fats and protein rather than filling up on huge volumes of vegetables (eat them for sure, but not to excess). That's where the high fat will help you, with recognizing satiety.

Your macros are pretty good, but you may need more fat to get through this first little while. My fat is set at 75% and I've been here since last August.

It sounds like you are right on track, but do NOT struggle with hunger. Eat as much as you need to get through this week.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm at 7 months and I'm STILL waiting for my appetitie to decrease! LOL
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This may not be the answer you want, but for me: my appetite hasn't decreased at all. What HAS changed however, is the length of time that can go by before it wakes up and starts demanding a meal. See, eating a grain-centric, high-glucose diet will have your body craving refills every few hours. Switching to a hunter/gatherer diet cuts those things out, and the satiety/hunger signals last longer before kicking in.

You're only at Day 2? You body hasn't switched over from sugar-fueled to fat-fueled yet. Your 'hunger' is your body demanding more of the sugar/carbs you are no longer providing. It will take a week to three weeks for switch over (depending on your metabolism and prior carb addiction) - you have to stick it out, and it WILL happen.

Promise. ;)
  • Finnellappe
    Options
    I'm definitely going to stick it out :) Only problem is I used to only get hungry once a day for a big meal but now I'm hungry all the time lol. I guess my body has more than just a change of diet to grow accustomed to.
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My appetite has not changed discernibly from when I ate SAD. I never had the crazy "I gotta' eat now or I'm going to go crazy" thing. I have always ate large portions of meat. My problem was the probably 300gr of carbs on top of all the meat and such. So, in short, I think I've always been a fat-burner, more or less.

This is probably why my satiety signals are all screwed up (or maybe, they're exactly like a normal cavemans - always willing to eat, when there's food around to do it). Problem is in this incredibly wealthy world we live in where there is water, food and shelter everywhere, I simply want to eat non-stop.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying that you shouldn't take it as granted that your appetite will decrease at all. It doesn't for everyone.
  • Sprinkelss
    Sprinkelss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your appetite will decrease eventually (for me it takes 3 days, but some people take longer). Make sure that you are eating enough healthy fat.

When first starting this lifestyle, it is my opinion that you should eat as much as you need to get through the cravings and withdrawals from your previous lifestyle. There is no need to struggle with hunger,ever. Eat however much you need to feel full, but stop when satisfied, but focus on fats and protein rather than filling up on huge volumes of vegetables (eat them for sure, but not to excess). That's where the high fat will help you, with recognizing satiety.

Your macros are pretty good, but you may need more fat to get through this first little while. My fat is set at 75% and I've been here since last August.

It sounds like you are right on track, but do NOT struggle with hunger. Eat as much as you need to get through this week.

This! I spent about 2 months just getting used to the diet, now I forget to eat! O_O I'm actually on this website to track my food lol
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options

This! I spent about 2 months just getting used to the diet, now I forget to eat! O_O I'm actually on this website to track my food lol

In the same boat here. I'm tracking my food, not obsessively as I might have in the past, from being hungry all the time and afraid of going way over a calorie count, but from not being hungry at all and wanting to make sure I get the minimum to avoid my body thinking there's a famine going on and helpfully going into conservation mode. I never would have imagined this. When I was eating carbs I had to eat a little protein every two hours or so just to keep from getting shaky/woozy. Now a moderate amount of protein keeps me going all day. Weird.

Oh, and I don't have to be obsessive about it any more. My attitude is more like, "Just checking. No big deal." Sweet. Never been in this place before.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    The first 3 days I was eating every couple hours since my body was adjusting. I think it took a week or two before things leveled out. Once I noticed how much better I felt having made this change it became easier. Hang in there!
  • rothenbr
    rothenbr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would ensure you eat as much as you need. Try to snack on vegetables when hungry. It'll come once you clean out your system from carbs/sugars/etc.
  • Joydriven
    Joydriven Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm trying to do this! After so many years of shutting down my body's voice of requesting food, I'm now paying attention!