Metabolism Adaption

Options
Hi guys, just a quick question that I hope someone has the answer for.

So, when someone eats at 1200 calories consistently the metabolism adapts to that being the TDEE, no loss or gain, right? What about at higher levels?

For example; I'm slowly upping my intake to maintenance which should be around 1900-2000 and am currently eating at 1600 calories (what would be -20%), would my metabolism adapt to this (1600) becoming my new TDEE after a period of time?

I feel a bit stupid asking since it's what I'm studying at uni but it's not like I get examined on metabolism resets :(

Thank you :)

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will adapt. That's why you should take a "diet break" and eat at TDEE for a week or two every couple of months... Just a way of reminding your metabolism that your cut is not TDEE.
  • bekindi
    bekindi Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes, it will adapt. That's why you should take a "diet break" and eat at TDEE for a week or two every couple of months... Just a way of reminding your metabolism that your cut is not TDEE.

Ah yes true true. Thanks for that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That also should emphasis the fact that you may eat at estimated TDEE, 2000, and not gain or lose anything.

But is that really your potential TDEE, or still suppressed TDEE?

If suppressed, the effect would be you'd take a deficit from it, and might get one for a little while and lose weight, but then adaptation happens again, and deficit is gone.
  • bekindi
    bekindi Posts: 8
    Options
    That also should emphasis the fact that you may eat at estimated TDEE, 2000, and not gain or lose anything.

But is that really your potential TDEE, or still suppressed TDEE?

If suppressed, the effect would be you'd take a deficit from it, and might get one for a little while and lose weight, but then adaptation happens again, and deficit is gone.

2000 would be my potential TDEE. I have not made it that far yet so I don't really know if that will be my "true" TDEE. Since I have slowly upped to 1600 I was guessing that my metabolism has adapted to this number but was unsure if it worked/adapted in reverse (while upping calories, not just lowering).

I'm going to keep upping them, albiet slowly so I can finally benefit from the amount of effort I put into working out and recomposing my body.