Low Sodium?

TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
Question.... Has anyone had their Dr. tell them their sodium levels were too low? I just recently had my GP run ALL my labs. They are not all back yet but she called today to tell me my sodium was too low and not to drink more than 48oz of water per day. I drink 2x that per day!!!
Anyway, I started doing some research and here is what I found, in summary of course... Symptoms of low sodium - lethargy, weakness, poor concentration, memory loss, bloating, body aches, poor coordination, changes in mood or personality, difficulty thinking, talking, poor memory, headaches, and more. Sound familiar?
Something else I discovered: "Slow oxidation and low blood pressure: The mineral pattern characterized by low tissue sodium and potassium is called slow oxidation. These individuals often crave salt and salty foods. Many have a low blood pressure, in part due to low sodium that contributes to a low blood volume. "
"Low blood pressure may also be due to underactivity of the adrenal glands. Adrenal hormones cause constriction of the arteries, which raises blood pressure."
"Sea salt particularly good for slow oxidizers. Consuming some sea salt may help raise the sodium level slightly in slow oxidizers, as these individuals are excreting excessive sodium. Consuming sea salt is strongly recommended for these people unless they are salt-sensitive due to other pathology. However, to permanently and significantly raise their tissue sodium, they must improve their adrenal glandular activity."
So, lots of correlation between low sodium and adrenal function. I did not know this. I am wondering if I get my sodium levels normal if it will help me to feel better!?

Replies

• shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    I suspect you will feel better. I am now very sensitive to salt and can use very little. My K(potassium) was low and I felt lousy. Felt better as soon as I raised it and I hope it is the same for you with the salt. electralites (spelling?) are very important and small changes can really cause problems with our bodies.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    I don't know if it was just a coincidence but I added small amounts of sea salt to my water yesterday and felt considerably better than I have in weeks. I will be so happy if this is one of the missing pieces to helping me feel better.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Theres always talk about iodine deficiency as well among thyroid problems, so salt with iodine is probably a good thing. We are always taught to keep sodium levels low, using no salt or rubbish low salt.
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Hi Strawberry! I was just nosing around looking any posts about adrenals, mine crashed in December, and getting over it has been a long long process, I have gained 15 pounds since then, and still have adrenal crashes-just not as big as Decembers. Anyway, low sodium low potassium, pooling of thyroid hormones can all be signs of adrenal problems. I hope that you are doing better!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Very interesting! I'm not sure about my sodium levels but I crave/want pickles and olives pretty regularly? I have low blood pressure and low vitamin D. My adrenals crashed the beginning of the year as well. Crazy how everything is so connected!!
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Hhhhhhmmmmm!!! I just looked at the last lab I had which contained sodium check. My level was 138 and the reference marks were 135-145. That was back in September. I'm experiencing all of the symptoms you've mentioned. I know the endo just checked my adrenal function as well as TSH, B12, and sugar. They haven't called with my results yet. If they don't call by after lunch, I plan to call and check on it myself. Very, very interesting. Thanks for posting.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    So, how do you actually know or confirm that your adrenals have crashed?
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    I just had a blood test over adrenals, TSH, ,t3, etc. My doctor's office has all lab records online, so I'm able to see actual numbers...that's the only way I know what my sodium looks like.