Post-op Plateau

Options
LolaBug85
LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
So I'm seeing that it's pretty common to hit a plateau after surgery, but how long did yours last? Just curious. I lost 16 pounds the first week after surgery, 6 pounds the 2nd week, and I haven't lost a pound in 4 weeks now. This 4 week plateau is awful!!!

Replies

• russlynne
    russlynne Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I hit my plateay and it was huge. My starting weight was 265 and I hit my plateau at 200-201. I rocked bacl=k and forth on these numbers for about5 weeks and then said to myself "if you aren't losing, you must be eating too much" so I cut out my second protein shake and a snack.. much to my chagrin, I still couldn't break into ONEderland for another 4+ weeks. I finally spoke to the nutritionist who had me run through my day....what I ate, drank, suppliments, water and exercise. After taking it all into account she asked me why I was cutting 2 of my "meals" when I told her, she chuckled and said, "Not only do I want you to put them back in, I want you to mix your second shake with milk instead of water" When I expressed my concern that I might gain weight, she said "you might for a couple days - but you have to trust the surgery...you've put yourself into starvation mode"
    So, I took her advice and sure enough my weight went from 201-202-202-203-204-205-205-204-203-203-202-201-200-199 (YEA!!! ONEderland) and continued to go down from there.
    My advice, talk to your nutritionist or surgeon...FOLLOW their advice.
    (I've also noticed that while I was ion plateau...my measurements would go down to catch up with the weight lost.)
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I didn't plateau for more than a week during my first 175lb loss or so. I was always very dedicated to exercise daily and if I didn't lose, I changed up my routine. Now, I bump my calories up 100-200 a day for a few days and it breaks the plateau. (I'm 15 months post-op and 4 pounds from my "vanity" goal).
  • nfgaring
    nfgaring Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm out 9 weeks from RNY. So far, my plateaus have lasted about a 5-7 days.
  • ashleegil
    ashleegil Posts: 26
    Options
    I am 8 weeks post op today, I have not stalled yet. My nutritionist has me carb cycle every 7-10 days. Basically on my normal plan I eat 30 carbs or less per day. On my carb cycle day she has me eat 100-150 carbs from fruit and vegetables. This has seemed to work for me. I don't know what kind of plan you are on normally but I would try the carb cycle or upping the calories a couple hundred or so for a day or 2. Hope it works!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm a year out from sleeve and only really had one plateau, it was at about 3 weeks post op. After that none really. It did seem like the last 10 pounds would never drop off when I got close to my own personal weight goal but it did . I feel the key to not having a plateau is eating enough calories a day, getting 80 grams or more of protein in a day and drinking 80 oz or more of water a day and exercising some each day. This is what I did and didn't have the plateau issue. Change up your cals some days will make you loose too, even when you raise your cals consumed. You are just starting out so the 3 week week plateau is normal. Your body is holding onto everything right now thinking you are starving it is why.
    Good luck!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I didn't plateau until 5 months after surgery and it lasted for two months. My weight loss (now that I am at normal BMI) is very, very slow and is bouncing around quite a bit. Seems like I lose more when I eat more. Strange, but true.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I didn't plateau until 5 months after surgery and it lasted for two months. My weight loss (now that I am at normal BMI) is very, very slow and is bouncing around quite a bit. Seems like I lose more when I eat more. Strange, but true.

Same here! Nothing happens when I stick to 1200-1300 calories. When I upped it to 1600-1700 (on the recommendation of my NUT), I started losing again.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Every ones plateau can be different. I lost every day for 9 months and not one pound in the last 30 months. I surpassed the expected goal set by the surgeon, did not make my personal hope, but am still pleased to find it changed my habits so that I do not gain a d have lots of energy.

I
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Mine never lasted more than a week. If you have not already done so, start taking your measurements. You are probably still losing inches. Hang in there!!
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    After a 4 week long plateau I finally started dropping again. I was so excited when I stepped on the scale for my weekly weigh-in! It's about time! haha I am curious to see how many inches I've lost, but I think I'm going to wait till my 6 month check up at the doctor so I can get one big number at once :)