Whole 30 starting tomorrow

Options
AmIhealthyyet
AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
I am starting whole 30 tomorrow along with my husband and two college age kids who are home for the summer. We all hope to achieve something different. I can't wait to see if eliminating eggs, night shades, nuts helps me with the pain I have been experiencing in both my hands and feet. I even took before pictures of my hands! Has anyone else seen an improvement in inflammation from following Whole 30? So excited!

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Oh, arrgh, I forgot about eggs. I've been avoiding nightshades and nuts and yes, it has made a huge difference in pain and inflammation in my joints, but I'm not pain free. Maybe it's the eggs?

I know that nightshades are a problem because I made some paleo spaghetti sauce last Sunday -- it was beautiful and tasty and incredible -- and I was in agony Monday and Tuesday, knees especially, and hands and elbows somewhat. Still have nagging pain in my legs a week later, but oddly enough not much joint pain. More like my hamstrings are aching along their whole length. Don't know if that is diet-related or something else.

Will have to drop eggs again and see how much difference it makes.

I'm pretty much eating according to Whole30 guidelines (except the eggs, I guess) right now, from what I remember about reading it almost a month ago. I need to go back and refresh my memory.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Oh, arrgh, I forgot about eggs. I've been avoiding nightshades and nuts and yes, it has made a huge difference in pain and inflammation in my joints, but I'm not pain free. Maybe it's the eggs?

It is great to know you have seen an improvement by eating this way. Eggs , cheese and tomatoes have been a staple in my daily diet. I am praying it works. I also 'crack' a lot now when I move, haha. All my joints seem to be doing it too. If I see an improvement I plan to continue to keep them out of my diet.
  • deanna198888
    Options
    I am starting whole 30 tomorrow as well. Do you have any links to food lists? I cannot find much online, everything I find is to buy a program.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 24 of my Whole 30 and feel really great. Never really had major cravings, but it's gotten easier to turn down non-compliant food. I don't feel like I've lost weight, maybe a few pounds, but that's okay. I just feel GOOD.

Here is good info - get the book the from the library but if you scroll down there are a ton of PDF's with info: http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I will look for more links! I originally just googled, Whole 30, great outline was on there explaining it! I have tried before and failed, I think in part because instead of feeling as if I was gaining back good health I felt I was losing something. I am ready to lose junk food in order to feel better!
  • karmahealer
    karmahealer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So I think I may have missed something with the eggs?? Are they not whole30..? I;m interested in the joint pain conection with them as well:flowerforyou: Please share more :)
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    So I think I may have missed something with the eggs?? Are they not whole30..? I;m interested in the joint pain conection with them as well:flowerforyou: Please share more :)

Eggs are great for Whole 30, however after reading the book Practical Paleo which helps you break things down more by conditions I discovered that they don't recommend eggs, night shades, nuts for autoimmune conditions or issues of severe inflammation. A lot if not most joint pain is due to inflammation. I love the book but if you get it buy the hard copy, not kindle, it doesn't do it justice.
  • Paleo_wolf
    Paleo_wolf Posts: 28
    Options
    You can count me in as well! Feel free to add me :)
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    here is the list you were looking fort.
    I did the challenge last summer for 45 days and saw great improvements in my health overall
    http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/
  • iyamkristin
    iyamkristin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I felt great after my first Whole30 though I did not eliminate nightshades or eggs. Maybe I'll feel even better if I ditch those items.

Found a really great prep-ahead plan for Whole30 freezable meals: http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/p/whole30-oamc-freezer-menu.html
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Thanks for the info!i can't wait to check them out!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary for everyone to give up eggs. I certainly am doing that reluctantly, but it is because my knees hurt almost constantly, and the autoimmune protocol for paleo has you eliminate eggs, nightshades, and nuts to see if you improve.

Here's a website I found helpful:
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/the-autoimmune-protocol-aip

You can also google "paleo autoimmune" to find more info.

HTH!
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Oh, here's another website I ran across just now with a helpful chart (things to permanently delete, things to eliminate for 30 days and then test (as in reintroducing one at a time to see if you react, I think -- I haven't read the whole page yet), and things to consider taking.

http://paleononpaleo.com/paleo-autoimmune-protocol/

Info about nightshades:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting Whole 30/auto-immune protocol for my fiance. He's got a family history of rheumatoid arthritis and has been really hurting lately. So we're going to see how it goes! He loves nuts and seeds, we both love eggs, and we might not be able to live without tomatoes...but we're going to give it a shot for a while. Oh and cheese...damn. It's for the best though! :) Feel free to add me as well, anyone! I'd love to get more ideas of what people are doing for meals during this. :)
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Ah, well. I was going to start the Whole30 today, but woke up feeling under the weather. Thought it might be a UTI so started drinking cranberry juice every few hours. Ate Whole30 breakfast (leftover dinner: chicken, rutabagas, carrots, onion all baked together a couple of nights ago) but not sure if I'll be able to eat anything else today because the body is acting more like a stomach bug than a UTI now. (Not going to write any more about that for fear of TMI!)

Going to go and cuddle on the couch with the Giant Schnauzer and snooze. Will be rooting for you all who started this journey today!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    My first day is going OK! In the past it was day four that killed me! I think my motivation for doing it this time makes it easier for me. I want to be done with the pain!
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yes, pain and other physical issues are certainly motivation for sticking with it. You can do this! I am on day 13 and made it through having my dad and stepmother to dinner last night. I cooked a healthy dinner, but there were drinks and snacks beforehand and chocolate treats at the end, all of which are temptations for me, but I was able to resist. Drank an awful lot of sparkling water to compensate though! Having your family in on it should really help, as well as purging your house of all the temptations. My husband eats all kinds of things that I am avoiding so I need to be extra vigilant and make sure I don't inadvertently pop something into my mouth that I shouldn't.
  • karmahealer
    Options
    I gradually discovered that I could NOT tolerate nightshades. Feel so much better when I avoid them for sure.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Oh, here's another website I ran across just now with a helpful chart (things to permanently delete, things to eliminate for 30 days and then test (as in reintroducing one at a time to see if you react, I think -- I haven't read the whole page yet), and things to consider taking.

http://paleononpaleo.com/paleo-autoimmune-protocol/

Info about nightshades:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62

These are great, thanks for sharing! I had never really understood what a night shade was!
  • karmahealer
    Options
    Thanks for the sites! I am interested in checking them out :)