Binged tonight

Options
erin4609
erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
For the past couple months, it seems like I had stopped binging for the most part. Until this last week :( Tonight I ate some peanut butter pretzels, and before I knew it, the whole bag was gone. Then I ate some almond clusters, and before I knew it, that whole bag was gone. Then I ate some chips, and before I knew it, that whole bag was gone too.

Argh I am so frustrated with myself! I am totally blowing my weight loss because I keep doing this! I know I need to keep calm and carry on, but I really want this behavior to stop!

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Did you have anyone to call? I find that it helps to reach out to another OAer when you're feeling like a binge may be coming on. Or get to a meeting, that helps me stay abstinent, at least for that day.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Another tool that helps me is taking the time to log the food -- even AFTER I've eaten it. There's a little piece of sanity that usually manages to slip in before I move to the next item -- or the next. Sometimes, I have to change my position -- get off the computer, get off the couch, go lay in bed and read -- something anything that shifts my perspective even a tiny bit. For instance, today at lunch, after my salad, I was still hungry. My intake has been dropping radically at night, so my body is going through an adjustment period. My weight loss the last few days shows how radically not over-eating (especially at night) makes my body happy. So, my point being that I ate my salad -- still hungry. Allowed myself a serving of two good snack items, but then found myself leaning more toward 2 servings of one and ignoring the other. Tried to put in the bar code: No luck. Entered it manually, put back the other item, completed my total, refilled my water and stepped away from the kitchen. This time -- the strategy worked. :heart:
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You're not alone in this struggle. For myself: I've had to make the decision that trigger foods can't even enter my house, that way they don't get eaten. I was gripping my santity by my fingernails for the first few days, but I find if I can't get the food, I can't get into the food and I have to change how I think about the food. I'm sleeping better, I'm not binging at night and I feel better. It's been 2 weeks and I haven't thought about my trigger food in 2 hours..... But I feel better and am getting stronger!
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Options
    I felt "the need for speed" tonight! After a business appointment, I stopped to get some :heart: stickers to go onto my new Vision Board that I had created over the weekend. Went in to one store, noticed the "binge shopper" was out, and left without any purchases. Went to the second store and bought the stickers (valid), Dad's Day Cards (needed to wait until I had my daughter with me, cause now there is a second trip, but it was the "perfect" card), and then hit trouble by purchasing two separate bags of "ok" items. I really was hungry, but heard the almonds and Fit Chews I carry in my purse go "whoohooo remember us?" but ignored their call. I ate a serving in the car on the way home, had my second and dipped my toe into a dip -- and realized immediately it was not a good choice. Put it away. Took out my hummus instead and had that. It was ok, but could have turned disasterous.

The hardest part of my dis-ease is when that still, small Tug calls and I choose to ignore it. I ALWAYS HEAR IT. It is a CHOICE that I ignore it. That's the insanity.

Except for those 30 minutes, my day with food was awesome -- and even those 30 minutes were a gift. It is so awesome to feel this good. :flowerforyou:
  • HeatherS0707
    Options
    I hear you. I had a rough couple days. Just focus on today. I was abstinent yesterday so it's a new start. This sickness is so frustrating and so difficult to overcome but we can do it.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Options
    I shared on one of the other threads that today is Day 1 of Abstinence for me. Those 12 days were a blessing; allowing my feeling and fears to overtake me were overwhelming. And, quite interesting. All is good.
  • clanmomma
    clanmomma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, and thank you for sharing. This has been my every day for the past little bit. Little = three months. I start my day good, count one or two things then get frustrated at work and by the time I get home, I get my binge on. I caught the stomach flu last week and while I paid little attention to what I ate this weekend, none of it was my major no-no foods. And today was much easier to follow through the whole day! I suppose three months of binge, plus one week of flu, equals one foot on the rung. FINALLY!

It does make me feel much less of a looser to know that I am not the only one who has times of binge, after binge, after binge. It is really embarrassing to me when I get this way. Then it is like I eat the next binge because I am embarrassed. It is a terrible cycle. Kind of like my compulsive overeating has it's own self preservation system. Gah! Your confession has helped me today. Maybe we can both get through tomorrow!