Topamax

blondageh
blondageh Posts: 923 Member
I just got back from the doctor. She put me on Topamax for my night time eating syndrome. She said the FDA just approved a new diet drug and it is basically a combination between wellbutrin and topamax. She then told me my issues are out of her realm now and to see a psychiatrist. :ohwell:

Replies

• Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Medications can help, but they won't lose the weight for you.

We all have to cut down on what we eat and get more active. That's the only way to really keep it off long term.

If you need the Topamax to help deal with your cravings, so be it. Hopefully the psychiatrist can help you get to the bottom of WHY you want/need to binge at night. Then you can wean off that medication.

My suggestion would be to just log everything you eat for a week. Don't worry about hitting any particular goals.

At the end of the week, see how you did. And the next week, work at trying to meet your goals. Possibly leaving calories for a (healthy) late night "binge". (An apple sliced with a bit of peanut butter, maybe?)

Welcome, and good luck!

PS: Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I am not anti-medication. I'm on about a dozen total for my various health problems. But that's part of why I'm trying to lose the weight, so I won't need my HBP meds or my pain meds or ....
  • ckriteetr
    ckriteetr Posts: 1 Member
    I was on topamax (and various other meds) for six months for chronic migraines. I can honestly say that I didn't eat much of nothing. Just liquids and coffee and orange juice. I lost 50 pounds. My bingeing came to a complete halt.
  • blondageh
    Day 5 now and it is a miracle. I can finally sleep through the night. I have not been able to do that since I was a child because my NES has been so debilitating. On the downside, my appetite has gone away during the day too. Sounds great but it is not. I am moody and agitated. I didn't want that. Hoping I even out soon and for ing myself to eat in the meantime. Haven't list any weight. In fact I am up 5 pounds.
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    I lost a lot of weight each time I took TOPOMAX. It really reduced my appetite a lot. However, my speech became slurred and I had memory loss.
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Also, when I take TOPOMAX I completely stop bingeing and craving carbs.
  • blondageh
    Yes. Having some intense side effects for sure. I am not getting my calories in at all but not losing. It is going up and down. I love not binging though. I feel free for the first time ever. I am still going to seek more help though because eventually if these side effects keep up I might go completely nuts or end my marriage. I think they counter act my anti depressant which dulls my normal unhappiness. Now I feel like I can feel again. It sure if I like that.