Touchy subject....Supplements BCAA?

Options
llpaq
llpaq Posts: 263 Member
I had a great workout at the gym this morning- I did my NROLW and was there with 2 other women who are doing the same program (almost done- I'm just beginning) they started discussing supplements the one told me to get BCAA's- the other one said if I want my kidneys to give out- and there they went- and my head phones went back in because I had to get in and out.

Do any of you take BCAA supplement? Do you think it's neccessary? I only take protein now as a supplement...... I'm just curious.

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm using BCAA now while in a cut. (I've read...) It helps with muscle retention while in a caloric deficit & doing cardio. I use creatine & whey or a creatine pre-workout (C4) before working out and I use BCAA mixed with protein after my workout. I've retained a decent amount of muscle thus far and my kidneys are still kickin'.

I suppose it depends on your goals. Once I go back to "bulking" I'll stop using BCAA.
  • llpaq
    Options
    I'm using BCAA now while in a cut. (I've read...) It helps with muscle retention while in a caloric deficit & doing cardio. I use creatine & whey or a creatine pre-workout (C4) before working out and I use BCAA mixed with protein after my workout. I've retained a decent amount of muscle thus far and my kidneys are still kickin'.

I suppose it depends on your goals. Once I go back to "bulking" I'll stop using BCAA.

Thank you so much!!! I'm soooo new to all of this- so some of the terminology I may lack on.....but I'm lifting AND going to be doing cardio as well ( I haven't been doing BOTH at all) - I'm still trying to lose a pretty good amount of fat- maybe 10 pounds- would you advise that I take the BCAA?
    I'm not training or anything I just want to lose a little more fat and REALLY want to get some definite shape on these lil (for now) muscles :)
  • llpaq
    Options
    I take BCAAs before and after I strength train. I also take a pre-workout supplement (Optimum Nutrition Pre) for the extra pump. no issues as of yet. Wife is a personal trainer and she wouldn't let me take anything she didnt think was safe.

Thank you tons! I'm really considering a pre-workout and a BCAA for during and after- I still have a bit of fat to lose- do you think I would benefit?
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Just be sure to read the ingredients and warnings before you buy. I use Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy as well as a Dymatize Elite Recoup in the past, both of which I like. Many of the products I looked at had warnings about having to stop taking them for set periods of time after 6-8 weeks, things like that (I did not buy those). I would just say always use caution and buy a reputable product since the FDA doesn't have much regulation on supplements.

The main benefit is for muscle fatigue, I don't think it would effect fat loss one way or the other.
  • llpaq
    Options
    Just be sure to read the ingredients and warnings before you buy. I use Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy as well as a Dymatize Elite Recoup in the past, both of which I like. Many of the products I looked at had warnings about having to stop taking them for set periods of time after 6-8 weeks, things like that (I did not buy those). I would just say always use caution and buy a reputable product since the FDA doesn't have much regulation on supplements.

The main benefit is for muscle fatigue, I don't think it would effect fat loss one way or the other.

Ok thank you! I tend to stay away from ingesting anything with warnings on it. I stay away from most over the counter medications unless absolutely neccessary so maybe I have to rethink this.
    I'm going to look into the two you recommended though. Thank you again! :flowerforyou:
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Tagging for later
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Have tried it and it does improve endurance a little, but I don't really think it's necessary or worth it. Just eat some protein.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    love my BCAAs they help with recovery, endurance and metabolism. i have never heard of any negative side effects. i have read that if you already have kidney or liver issues than to check with your doctor- otherwise, they are perfectly fine.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I take BCAAs before and after I strength train. I also take a pre-workout supplement (Optimum Nutrition Pre) for the extra pump. no issues as of yet. Wife is a personal trainer and she wouldn't let me take anything she didnt think was safe.

Thank you tons! I'm really considering a pre-workout and a BCAA for during and after- I still have a bit of fat to lose- do you think I would benefit?

i take scivation xtend during my workouts. i love it.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into this as well, are there any particular brands that you ladies would recommend?
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would image that BCAA's do have the potential to mess with the kidneys but even a low carb diet can do that if you are predisposed to kidney issues and you over do protein. I do not worry any more about BCAA's than I do about any other protein I am taking.

With that said I love my BCAA's. I take them in the morning with my pre-workout drink called Fem Fire. Then add a few more right after the work out to my protein shake. The BCAA brand I use is called ForzaOne and the pre-workout drink is from XP2

I get both at the Nutri-Shop, they are pricey but I am seeing awesome results.