City to Surf - Sydney

Options
Ms_Pixie
Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
Hey y'all,
Just wondering if anybody here is registered for this year's City to Surf in August? This year will be my first year doing it and would love to find new friends who are in preparation for it too!

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking abut it. I'm doing the Sutherland to Surf at the end of July, but I'll probably walk most of it!!
    I've done the City to Surf about 5 times. Heartbreak hill is a challenge... But the worst part is getting there and home again :)
  • Petefry1
    Petefry1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Pix. Yep have signed up and my bib arrived in the post today. I'm lining up in the red group for sub 70 runners. This will be my 12th, and my profile pic is during my PB last year - was amazed to beat my PB from 2005 by 2 mins!
    I do a couple of 8kmish lunch runs around the city from work, and sometimes a similar distance at home on Sat, and a long run at home on Sunday.
  • Ms_Pixie
    Options
    Hi Pix. Yep have signed up and my bib arrived in the post today. I'm lining up in the red group for sub 70 runners. This will be my 12th, and my profile pic is during my PB last year - was amazed to beat my PB from 2005 by 2 mins!
    I do a couple of 8kmish lunch runs around the city from work, and sometimes a similar distance at home on Sat, and a long run at home on Sunday.

Jeepers that's a great pace! I'm one of the last waves, my 5k time is around 42 mins and I did a 10k race a few months ago, but haven't really been training... You'll probably have finished and had lunch by the time I get in lol
  • Ms_Pixie
    Options
    I'm thinking abut it. I'm doing the Sutherland to Surf at the end of July, but I'll probably walk most of it!!
    I've done the City to Surf about 5 times. Heartbreak hill is a challenge... But the worst part is getting there and home again :)

Ooh how long is the Sutherland to Surf? I need to register for some races to get me motivated to train lol
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    I think the Sutherland to Surf is 11km. It's on Sunday 21 July.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Heya I just found this Aussie group! Sweet!
    I am totally doing city to surf, although I haven't signed up yet.
    Anyone else wants a training buddy, add add add! :)
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have signed up too. The yellow group. This is the first time I will have run in it although I've done a few shorter runs (3x 5km, 3x 10km). Looking forward to it.
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I've signed up for my first City 2 Surf as well. I'm a little daunted but looking forward to it.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

I'm dying to do the 9km bridge run part, but no one will do it with me :(
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've signed up (Yellow Group) although I'm now pretty worried as I haven't even finished C25k yet! (plus I'm on holiday for the 10 days prior)
    I didn't want to go in the walking group though as I thought it'd be too easy for me to give up...

Hoping there will be some others in the same boat.
  • phoenixgirl81
    Options
    It's tomorrow!!!! Yay!!!! The weather is gorgeous.

Admittedly I'm a little nervous. And, it's 4 km longer than I've ever run in one hit, but it's just about fuelling it, right? lol.

It's going to be great, whatever time I post...because I know I can finish the distance.

Good luck to all who are running tomorrow!
  • Petefry1
    Options
    Thanks Phoenixgirl81 - good luck to you too! Yep big day tomorrow. 9.30pm and not long until go to bed for a good night's post race sleep.
    Does look like perfect weather for it.
    It's a fantastic event - 85,000 people in the world's biggest fun run. It is tough though and Heartbreak is long, but the accomplishment of achievement is well worth the effort. Enjoy!!
  • phoenixgirl81
    Options
    SOOOOOOOOO proud of myself and my partner! It's the first time we've ever run in the city to surf (we only started c25k last october) and we finished it in 1 hour 47 min and 56 sec! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO! And, along the way, we scored new PBs for our 5k and 10k times!! All while ducking and weaving and running around all the walkers. Imagine how fast we would have been if we'd been able to run in a straight line! Next year I'm so signing up for the Blue group.

How did you go Petefry1? And to anyone else who ran, how did you go?
  • Petefry1
    Options
    Hey Phoenixgirl.
    Congrats - what a great effort for your first time and from that start group!
    Yes give Blue a go next year but it also has quite a few walkers (or did for my first C2S in 1999).
    But from Blue hopefully your run will be clear enough to get down to sub 100 mins and qualify for Green which is all runners.
    As for me, I am training for Blackmores full marathon so have lost some speed and I didn't expect to match last years 64.41 PB. I also haven't been doing any sharp hills, so Heartbreak hurt - that split was 30secs slower than last year.
    Still managed 66.30 and my 2nd best ever time in my 12th C2S, so very happy. And maintained Red start group for next year.
    How'd everyone else go, including Ms Pixie?
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Well done to all the finishers!!! Congrats on groups and times :)

I didn't do it, but wow, what a great day weather wise! Maybe next year for me... Walking!!
  • JanisAtki
    JanisAtki Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A belated congratulations to everyone who gave it a go.
    It was soooooo much fun. I ran "with" my team from work (read: I ran with my partner and put the team hat and tshirt back on before the after party) and finished in front of my GM and CEO. Worth a few days walking rather gingerly on a sore knee.
  • phoenixgirl81
    Options
    Hey Phoenixgirl.
    Congrats - what a great effort for your first time and from that start group!
    Yes give Blue a go next year but it also has quite a few walkers (or did for my first C2S in 1999).
    But from Blue hopefully your run will be clear enough to get down to sub 100 mins and qualify for Green which is all runners.
    As for me, I am training for Blackmores full marathon so have lost some speed and I didn't expect to match last years 64.41 PB. I also haven't been doing any sharp hills, so Heartbreak hurt - that split was 30secs slower than last year.
    Still managed 66.30 and my 2nd best ever time in my 12th C2S, so very happy. And maintained Red start group for next year.
    How'd everyone else go, including Ms Pixie?

Such a joy to read this reply, Petefry. I certainly hope that the Blue group has less walkers than the Yellow group (seriously, did these people not read?! Walkers are supposed to be in the Orange group! No prams, no pushed wheelchairs, no walkers...anyway). I don't mind those that take walking breaks in between their runs, but those that purposefully set out ONLY to walk (some with laden backpacks) in a group for runners....sigh. Lol. But it made for a fun game of dodgems!

Looking forward to a clearer run next year, that's if we don't run in the Gold group for our local Women's Health Centre (one of the doctors suggested it quite hopefully the other day when we dropped by...hmmmm....food for thought). Do you think if we get sub 100 in the Gold group we could qualify for Green?

Wait...my brain just did some maths...does this mean that in our first ever City2Surf that we were only 7-some minutes off qualifying for the Green group?! WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!

It really was a glorious day. Couldn't have asked for better weather. And all the people playing music, dressing up, offering food/drinks/hose along the way really made the day more awesome.

When we signed up for the runs for the rest of the year a few months ago, the furthest we'd ever run was 10km (1 hr 20-some minutes) so we signed up for "achievable" distances, and then added the C2S...and one other longer race (eeeeeeeeep!). Our next runs go like this:

Next Sunday: Unity 8km run (for Parkinson's)
    8th Sept: 25km trail run (OMG!!! WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!)
    2 weeks later: Blackmores 9km Bridge run
    4 weeks later: Neon Run

I cannot tell you what finishing the C2S so (relatively) easily has done for my brain and my running mindset....I now BELIEVE in myself! I believe I am a runner. I believe I CAN do the distances. In the past, I have struggled to push myself to run 5km by myself (I almost always run with my partner), but yesterday I decided I wanted to go for a run and took myself off on a hard trail-and-road run that ended up being nearly 10km in length (and involving about 200-odd stairs - down and up!). I'm already talking about doing two laps of our usual 7km river run tomorrow in preparation for this 25km run next month...This is something that I would never have offered in the past.

I'm so doing it again next year!!!!!!

ETA: I can't believe I forgot the most important thing: CONGRATS on qualifying for the Red group next year!! Way to go!! I can only dream of ever being able to run that fast/well. Huge props to you for this.