First run outside... what should I expect?

Options
StephieWillcox
StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
Ok, so I am almost finished with week 6, with all the runs so far being competed on the treadmill.

This weekend I'm going to attempt my first run/walk outside - I have a 3 mile route planned out, I'm not going to follow any C25K program, but just start by running as slow and as far as I can, taking walking breaks as I need them.

Does this sound ok? Or is a 3 mile route adventurous for my first outdoor experience? (It is a very flat route, I walk most of the route every day to and from work, so it is familiar to me)

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine. Personally, I am doing all of my running on a high school track to save wear and tear on my knees. As long as you take it slowly, you should be just fine. It will probably make your legs more sore to be outside, but you will probably enjoy the scenery more. LOL
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    For me, moving from the treadmill to outdoors was almost like starting over again. I could run about 5 minutes before stopping to walk when I ran outdoors (I could jog 50+ minutes on the treadmill without stopping to walk). It was devastating to my confidence for awhile. You'll do fine. There's a big difference between running in one spot and propelling yourself forward. It's much more fun to run outdoors, the extra effort is well worth it and you will conquer this. Expect to be challenged.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump because I really need to make the move outside too.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I got through C10K on an inside track and when I first moved outside I was suprised that it seemed so much harder. For me, I went a little slower until I built myself up back to my normal speed. Something about the hard ground and wind I think.

You can do it, I now miss the fresh air and scenery when I have to run indoors due to weather.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Try to make your runs during the cooler parts of the day. Get up early in the morning and go do the run (morning is always best imo) or do it late in the evening. Invest in some shoe blinkers. They are about $10, and they will help make you seen, and possibly some reflective clothing.

If you end up having to do it during the middle of the day, then slow down. A general rule for outdoor running is to add 30 seconds to your pace for every 5 degrees over 60F.

As far as the actual running goes, take it easy, go slow and take walk breaks. Week 6 is what, running 15-20 minutes straight right? Keep the total amount of time, but if needed modify it again. Run 5 minutes, walk one minute, run 5, walk 1, etc.... Your legs might end up feeling like they did the first week, very sore. That is to be expected. You use different muscle fibers when you run outside that if you were to run on a treadmill. So make sure you are stretching well at the end.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Try to make your runs during the cooler parts of the day. Get up early in the morning and go do the run (morning is always best imo) or do it late in the evening. Invest in some shoe blinkers. They are about $10, and they will help make you seen, and possibly some reflective clothing.

If you end up having to do it during the middle of the day, then slow down. A general rule for outdoor running is to add 30 seconds to your pace for every 5 degrees over 60F.

As far as the actual running goes, take it easy, go slow and take walk breaks. Week 6 is what, running 15-20 minutes straight right? Keep the total amount of time, but if needed modify it again. Run 5 minutes, walk one minute, run 5, walk 1, etc.... Your legs might end up feeling like they did the first week, very sore. That is to be expected. You use different muscle fibers when you run outside that if you were to run on a treadmill. So make sure you are stretching well at the end.

Thanks - this is all super useful.

Yes, I've just finished week 6, so a 22 minute run is my longest. Was planning on doing as much as I can and using the rest of my route to cool down/ just see how far 3 miles really is!!

Will definitely head out in the morning (I'm in the UK so heat is not so much of an issue, but would still like it be as easy as possible!!)

Eeek, I'm quite excited for my first outdoor experience at the weekend!
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well done on running 22 minutes so far. Excellent!

Physically outdoors is harder as you need to control your own pace rather than having it pre-determined for you plus no matter how flat you think a path is, there are always little inclines and changes in the terrain. However, mentally I think outdoors is far easier than a treadmill (or dreadmill as I call them!) as the changes in scenery stimulate you plus if you stop, you still need to get home.

If you find yourself struggling at any point slow your pace but focus on something not too far ahead and aim to make it to there and once you get there see if there's something else ahead that you can aim for.

Most importantly, enjoy it!
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ive been doing c25k on the treadmill too and while i have no plans right now to move it outside, i think i would also be nervous about it based on everything ive read about how much harder it is to run outside. but i did used to run about 10 years ago and went from a treadmill to outdoors without doing any research or knowing anything about how hard it was etc. And you know what? i didnt even notice the difference! i wasnt expecting there to be and therefore it wasnt. so while im sure there is truth to it, i think probably a lot of it is in your head. just get out there and do it.