How long until you started seeing results?

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
Anyone not on medications successfully lose weight? How long did it take for you to start seeing results, and what did it take to start getting results?

Replies

• aegarvey
    aegarvey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My doc thinks I'm a borderline PCOS case. I have hypothyroidism and was irregular and anovulatory before I joined MFP. My doc wanted to see what kind of results we could get without adding any more medication. I started trying to lose weight just using the guidelines from MFP in August. Since then, down about 35 lbs and have seen some great changes in my cycle. It was about November when I first ovulated. And since then, my cycle has slowly been shortening to be closer to a "regular" length cycle. It's slow going, but progress is possible without meds for some people.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 6 lbs the first week I started, which I guess happens a lot because of water weight when you first start an exercise regime.

Since the middle of January, I've lost 22 lbs, including the 6lbs in the first week, that is pretty steadily at around 1 lb per week, although I've definitely had weeks that were more, and weeks where I lost nothing.

I'm on the pill, but no other specific PCOS meds.
    I don't eat gluten or added sugar, and try to eat as low carb as reasonable without being on an actual "low carb" diet. The biggest number I watch is the sugar... I only have natural sugar in my diet, but even that I try to keep low (ie only low sugar fruit, no bananas, melons, that kind of thing).
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking any prescriptions, and for the last month or so I haven't been taking supplements either (though I need to start again soon). I've been losing an average of about a pound and a half per week.

Here's what has worked for me:
    1300 calories.
    80-100 grams of carbs (this was hard at first, because it's low)
    80-100 grams of protein (this was hard at first, too, because it's high. It's still sometimes a challenge)
    Drink lots of water.
    300 minutes of cardio per week.
    And I try to make most of my carbs complex (or low glycemic, or whole grain, etc....you get the idea).

Note though, that while I most definitely have PCOS, I'm one of the rarer types who is NOT insulin resistant. This type of diet works well for both (IR and non-IR), but results obviously vary quite a bit by individual.
  • amariecarr
    amariecarr Posts: 16
    Options
    I started losing right away. I've been at it since March and am down 35lbs without meds and still losing every week. You can do it!
  • jaynehayden83
    jaynehayden83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im not on any medicaton. I started dieting at the beginning of January and have lost 34lb so far simply by calorie counting and making sure I log my food. Have been trying to do some exercise as well but not lots. I still have a long way to go but hopeing that I can keep on with it.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For me, I think adding the exercise really is the key. I've read a lot about how it is recommended for those of us with PCOS. I eat somewhere between 1600 - 1800 calories a day and try to workout 5-6 times a week and have been able to lose a respectable 20 lbs since March. I have not really been focused on my macros that much, though I keep saying I'd like to try to limit to 150 carbs a day. Still waiting to see if it is going to get me to my goal of ovulating on my own, but I'm hopeful.
  • kaylaodoms
    kaylaodoms Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Staying away from carbs is my main focus with my pcos and dieting but i do not completely not eat carbs if i want bread i will eat whole grain wheat . lost 12 pounds in 6-7 weeks and walking around 10 miles a week. I stay mostly clear of crackers and process foods as well and try to eat lots of fiber and protein and tons of water has helped i went from drinking one to two glasses a day to 5-6. I eat between 1,400 - 1,600 cal per day
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24 lbs since I started on April 6, 2013. My doctor informed me that I have PCOS about 2 years ago and I thought that I would have a hard time losing weight, but it hasn't been the case. I do not know if I am IR, but my endocrinologist did mention pre-diabetes. He prescibed Metformin but I never took it. I am wondering since I am losing weight so easily if I am IR or what. My stomach has gone done but I still look pregnant to me, just not 5-6 months as before. I am doing 30DS and hopefully that will help with something. I am done to 1500 calories a day and trying to eat no more than 130 g of carbs a day.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of weaning myself off metformin with the aid of my endo and A TON of cardio (at least for me). The met made me really sick, to the point where even with food and on the ER dose I was ill all the time. I am down to 500 mg a day after being on 2000mg just a month ago. The meds do help with weight loss if only because you're not eating as much. I am down 15 pounds in about two months. I have just started doing Insanity, Hip Hop Abs, and light yoga. I have lost 4 inches off my butt and belly in A WEEK. Cardio works better than the meds alone. If you can stomach the meds, try pairing it with HIIT. I bet the effects would be even greater. :)
  • peepapie
    peepapie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to take Metformin and I hated the way it made my stomach hurt. SO....I stopped taking it and last year I ONLY changed my diet and started using MFP. I lost 34 pounds in 4 months just by changing the calories and portion sizes. I gained a little back toward the end cause I wasn't logging and being as careful. So I am back now and trying to lose the 30 I need to get to the "healthy" BMI. THough I would prefer to lose 40...but anyway...you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!