DAY 3

Options
21 Jesus warned his disciples not to tell anyone who he was. 22 “The Son of Man must suffer many terrible things,” he said. “He will be rejected by the elders, the leading priests, and the teachers of religious law. He will be killed, but on the third day he will be raised from the dead.”

23 Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 25 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed? 26 If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels. 27 I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Kingdom of God.”

28 About eight days later Jesus took Peter, John, and James up on a mountain to pray. 29 And as he was praying, the appearance of his face was transformed, and his clothes became dazzling white. 30 Suddenly, two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared and began talking with Jesus. 31 They were glorious to see. And they were speaking about his exodus from this world, which was about to be fulfilled in Jerusalem.

32 Peter and the others had fallen asleep. When they woke up, they saw Jesus’ glory and the two men standing with him. 33 As Moses and Elijah were starting to leave, Peter, not even knowing what he was saying, blurted out, “Master, it’s wonderful for us to be here! Let’s make three shelters as memorials—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 34 But even as he was saying this, a cloud overshadowed them, and terror gripped them as the cloud covered them.

35 Then a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, my Chosen One. Listen to him.” 36 When the voice finished, Jesus was there alone. They didn’t tell anyone at that time what they had seen.

Replies

• MrsLarCat
    MrsLarCat Posts: 118
    Options
    Lord,

Please help me to take up your cross daily and put my selfish desires aside.
  • HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. May I share, too?

I was drawn to verse 29
    29 "And as he was praying, the appearance of his face was transformed, and his clothes became dazzling white."

Jesus prayed. Opened his mind, body and will to God and his appearance changed in front of the bystanders (disciples).

It made me ask if this was possible for us. Perhaps it is, though not to this degree, but I have known people, for whom being in their presence was transformative.

Years ago, my mother had a massive stroke. Paralyzed from the neck down, she could only blink her eyes and smile a lopsided smile. I brought her worn leather Bible, a gift from my Dad to her, shortly after their wedding and set it on the table beside her. A nurse marched over to her bedside to take her vitals.
    "Your mom's a Christian, isn't she?" The words startled me, as the nurse had not acknowledged me on the far side of the bed.
    "Yes." I smiled and sank into a chair.
    "I thought so. I can tell," the nurse tucked the covers neatly around her. "I'm an athiest, but I can always tell the Christians. It's in the eyes."
    I nodded and grasped my mother's other hand in mine. She died four days later, witnessing about the glory of God to her last.

Prayer: "May the God of grace shine through me in a transforming manner, that others might see your light in me. May you also empower me and transform my body to health and fitness"
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    WOW, what an inspirtional story. You never know, your mother may have saved that nurse . . .

I find myself struggling with the "worldly" side of these passages. I often find myself far to attached to my "things" and it is a constant struggle to remind myself that those things are all temporary, but my soul is forever. My belief in what is to come should be the motivator, not the new car I want next month, or the new furniture next year . . .

Sometimes I think there is a fine line between worldly belongings and having "enough" to get by. For instance, we are interviewing for a new minister at our church. Our church is in an affluent area of the city, it is a large congregation, and it is sought after by many ministers. We have received hundreds of applications. Our pastor is paid well, has a beautiful parsonage in a neighborhood that many would love to live in. It just seems so odd to talk about salaries, benefits, mileage, etc. with a "man/woman of God" without them seeming less than "Godly" if they ask for more, etc. I don't know, am I making sense? I guess I just find it odd. . .

Any thoughts??

I also love that in verse 26, he is already preparing them for his second coming . . .

My most gracious Father, thank you for always providing, even when I am not deserving. Thank you for reminding me that I have all that I need to sustain me in this life, and what really matters is the life you have in store for me when I leave this shell of a body and enter into your Kingdom. Thank you for my new friends and bless this fellowship that we may grow from it, in your name, Amen.
  • paulaj1887
    paulaj1887 Posts: 22
    Options
    Amen :smile:
  • HealthFitNow
    Options
    Question:
    1) Do you want a pastor, who is savvy? One who manages his/her finances well and assesses carefully the value that s/he offers?
    2) Do you want a pastor, who flies by the seat of the pants? Clueless about the business side of things or the ability to manage his/her home life and doesn't have a sense of the worth God has imparted to them?
    3) Should a pastor never ask for more? Paul explains that people are worthy of their keep. We live in a different culture than Paul. We make demands of pastors (and their families) that were not asked of Paul. People traded services back then, far more than we do today. Today, things cost money. Money only has to be an issue, if we make it. Expenses in affluent cultures are higher than areas of low rent.
    Does a pastor serve better if they live in a hovel than if they are in a luxury home? Is that the measure of their spirituality?
    I submit that a pastor should be evaluated on the basis of how they match the needs of the parish. The logistics-money etc. will take care of itself, if the spiritual is taken care of.
    My mother used to say that one always asks God what is the Correct answer/solution for doing God's work. If we do that, God will supply the money etc. to accomplish it.
    Does that help?
    WOW, what an inspirtional story. You never know, your mother may have saved that nurse . . .

I find myself struggling with the "worldly" side of these passages. I often find myself far to attached to my "things" and it is a constant struggle to remind myself that those things are all temporary, but my soul is forever. My belief in what is to come should be the motivator, not the new car I want next month, or the new furniture next year . . .

Sometimes I think there is a fine line between worldly belongings and having "enough" to get by. For instance, we are interviewing for a new minister at our church. Our church is in an affluent area of the city, it is a large congregation, and it is sought after by many ministers. We have received hundreds of applications. Our pastor is paid well, has a beautiful parsonage in a neighborhood that many would love to live in. It just seems so odd to talk about salaries, benefits, mileage, etc. with a "man/woman of God" without them seeming less than "Godly" if they ask for more, etc. I don't know, am I making sense? I guess I just find it odd. . .

Any thoughts??

I also love that in verse 26, he is already preparing them for his second coming . . .

My most gracious Father, thank you for always providing, even when I am not deserving. Thank you for reminding me that I have all that I need to sustain me in this life, and what really matters is the life you have in store for me when I leave this shell of a body and enter into your Kingdom. Thank you for my new friends and bless this fellowship that we may grow from it, in your name, Amen.
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Verse 23 really stood out to me.

23 Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.

I have not really had many friends throughout my life, and out of the ones that I do have, all but one or two have left me. Some of them were also bad friendships in which I was allowing myself to be a doormat for their sake. One thing that has always confused me: Jesus let himself be abused, so in order to be like Him, should we as well? Should we allow ourselves to stay in a bad relationship if it will help the other person? With this, it would seem so, to "turn from your selfish ways," and "take up your cross and follow me." Holding your own cross hurts a lot, and He was abused while doing so, so I think that we are supposed to allow ourselves to be in a bad friendship or relationship if it helps the other person, even if it hurts us. He did things for other people that hurt him, and never really did anything for himself...

I've always been confused about this. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me.
  • MrsLarCat
    MrsLarCat Posts: 118
    Options
    Great responses, ladies, thank you all for sharing!!!

My responses to Knitwit and Lyttmab - pray on it - I do believe that you will be shown an answer.

Lyttmab - maybe look into information in a topical bible about leadership in the church

Knitwit - In that instance, yes, Jesus let himself be abused, but it served a purpose, to save all of human kind. There are other instances, many, where Jesus defended himself, spoke out for what he believed and rebuked those who were evil or turned against him. This is just a quick thought, not an answer - only God can provide the answer you seek, but keep an open mind, ask God to open your heart, pray and He will answer you in his own time. Another thing to consider - Is this abusive relationship (and I assume you don't mean literally??? - if you do mean literally, message me please) serving God? Is it allowing you to further the kingdom of God? Ask God to show you what action you should take in this relationship.
  • HealthFitNow
    Options
    KnitWit,
    First let me extend a huge {{{{hug}}}}. I am sorry that your life has been filled with people, who disappoint and don't stand by you.
    The highest command of Jesus is that we love God and one another. Everything in Scripture--all of the law of God--comes under the umbrella of love. God is love.

I remember learning the Westminster Catechism as a child. The first question asks, "What is the chief end of man?" The answer: "Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever."

Everything we understand Scripture to say should run through those filters. Does this fulfill my obligation to love God and to glorify God?

You can ask those questions of abuse. Does staying in an abusive relationship fulfill my obligation to love God? Does my suffering abuse at the hands/voice of another bring glory to God?

Did Jesus mean suffer abuse of all kinds when he said to take up my cross and follow me?
    I submit to you an emphatic NO. There are many types of 'abuse' and it is important to examine the context of each.

The 'abuse' Jesus took; his suffering on the cross; his suffering the jeers and ridicule of the Pharisees and Saducees was a part of the spiritual warfare that he fought and overcame. He demonstrated the glory of God in his overcoming it all. Any suffering we do, is not for suffering sake, but for demonstrating the glory of God in our spiritual lives.

Abusive relationships that we define today are quite different from the 'spiritual' warfare of the Scriptures. I don't see any way that God is glorified in continuing the suffering of abuse. God is more glorified when we liberate people from the sin which causes abuse, whether that be ourselves or a friend or a child. So the answer to your question: Should we allow ourselves to stay in a bad relationship if it will help the other person? How help? Is your being a victim, a doormat, helping the other person? In what way?

We know that Jesus did not present himself as victim. He terrified the powers that be, too much. That is why they sought to kill him. Even Pilate--stymied by Jesus' quiet lack of defense--recognized Jesus' power. He declared him King of the Jews--not something that you would do to someone who is a doormat.

God's grace can take the worst abuse/abuser and bring total healing.

BTW, Jesus did do things for himself. He frequently withdrew to a quiet place/a solitary place. He visited with his dear friends, Lazaraus, Mary and Martha. He surrounded himself with disciples that he could delegate work to. He had his best buddies hang with him--John, Peter, James. He communed with God--transfiguration--Moses and Elijah. He withdrew to the garden of Gethsemene to talk out his upcoming obligation with God.

Back to topic: I submit that taking up the cross is a spiritual battle and I'm sure all of us have experienced ridicule for believing in God. He is asking us to face the enemy of God, knowing that Christ is with us and has gone before, showing us how it is done.

God loves you and wants the best for you. God is the defender of women and children. He doesn't countenance abuse against them.

I hope I've helped.
    If you need the actual scriptures for all of the above, let me know and I'll give you the links. :D

Hugs and blessings,
    Lynne

Verse 23 really stood out to me.

23 Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.

I have not really had many friends throughout my life, and out of the ones that I do have, all but one or two have left me. Some of them were also bad friendships in which I was allowing myself to be a doormat for their sake. One thing that has always confused me: Jesus let himself be abused, so in order to be like Him, should we as well? Should we allow ourselves to stay in a bad relationship if it will help the other person? With this, it would seem so, to "turn from your selfish ways," and "take up your cross and follow me." Holding your own cross hurts a lot, and He was abused while doing so, so I think that we are supposed to allow ourselves to be in a bad friendship or relationship if it helps the other person, even if it hurts us. He did things for other people that hurt him, and never really did anything for himself...

I've always been confused about this. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    Luke 9:21-36

OBSERVATION
    These few verses are SOOOO power-packed! The meanings behind them get me so excited as it is revealed. So, here it goes....... You'd think Jesus would want the "good news" of His identity spread across the land. However, Jesus commanded them not to mention it yet. Jesus knew it wasn't the right moment; wasn't God's timing. There were other events to take place before He was arrested and crucified. If His identity leaked out too soon, He would't have been able to accomplish what He needed to accomplish.

Now, this next observation is what gives me the strength to FIGHT ON and stay in the race. His sufferings...for you and I. As Jesus revealed the sufferings to come, the disciples showed it was difficult for them to accept. They didn't fully understand nor would others at the time. They actually wouldn't understand until after His death. At that time it would be revealed and they all would have exactly what they needed to powerfully spread the gospel. Back to my point, it was difficult for them to understand the concept of Jesus suffering and dying...they were looking for the Messiah, the conqueror that will bring them out from under the Roman rule, not one that will suffer and die. In Matt 16:22 Peter rebuked Jesus saying let it be far from thee that it will happen to Him. This showed they haven't comprehended Jesus' role on earth. The bigger picture wasn't into focus yet. Only if they knew then that everything Jesus did and went through was for our benefit. Isaiah said/prophesied stating He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed 53:5. Jesus had to suffer, had to die and then over come death (I Cor 15:56-57) in which through that we became partakers of the Tree of Life - the opportunity to have everlasting life.

Jesus stated that if we are to be followers of His, we must: (1) deny ourselves - deny selfish ambitions, not get caught up in this sinful materialistic world but use our resources in a way that is pleasing God, and always...daily allow God to direct our lives and not do it ourselves (2) shoulder your cross daily - complete submission even to the point of death and literal death in a lot of cases. I have read that It meant complete submission to the Roman gov't when a criminal was led to where he is being executed and carry the same cross he would die on. This action as a christian was very important as Jesus as He stated several times to stress it while teaching the disciples (you cannot be one of my disciples if you do not take up your cross). It shows complete submission. Actually, it was kind of strange as the procession was leaving the judgment hall with Jesus carrying the cross upon His back, the procession stopped and the soldiers turned to a man and demanded he carry Jesus' cross and follow Him to calvary. Now how cool is that! God is so awesome and works in mysterious ways. The soldiers didn't know that the Word was literally being revealed right under their noses lol. (3) follow Him - following Him might lead one into places where its uncomfortable and even death but you shouldn't fear it knowing that you will still have the victory in the end.

The materialistic things of this world will keep us embedded deeply in this world if we put those things before God. It's nothing wrong with having nice things but the attitude behind it must be that of God. We should be content and not spend our lives running behind materialistic things. Your life should be devoted to pleasing God, serving God and others. As long as we love this earthly life and the things associated with it, more than the things associated with our spiritual life, we lose and fail to grasp the true essence of abundant living.

Jesus took the disciples to the top of the mountain basically to show them who He really was. He wanted to make sure they understood that he was not just a great prophet as some said then and even today. He was the Son of God. Moses and Elijah appeared - Moses representing the Law and Elijah representing the prophets. God stated He was indeed the Messiah. Jesus came to fulfill both the Law and prophets (Matt 5:17)

APPLICATION
    I will never be ashamed of the gospel and of Jesus Christ. Giving the fact that he bore our shame (Heb 12;2) is there any reason why any of us would be ashamed to be called a christian? Call me a holy roller! Lol! I don't care. I love Him even more.

PRAYER
    Thank you Heavenly Father for the greatest example ever, your Son Jesus Christ. Thank you for the teachings that are helping me become a better person all the while equipping me to serve in the body of Christ. I love reading your Word and at the same time reviewing how it relates to my life. I know you are working in me and I thank you for the changes and the changes to come. Thank you for loving me as I am. In your Son Jesus Christ name I pray, Amen.
  • cdgirl
    cdgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lord help me and the rest to learn to be fully submissive to you.May we live w/the desire to have you glorified in our lives.Lord I surrender all of myself brand new to you right now.Do in and through me what you will.In Jesus name Amen