When will my lungs catch up to my legs?

Options
Ronda73
Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
I just finished week 3 day 3 and by the end I thought I was going to die. My legs are strong and I can walk for miles at a good pace (just over 4 mph). But running for 90 seconds and I'm huffing and puffing like I'm about to die. I don't feel like I can slow down much more. I already feel like I am running slower than I walk. I've looked up some breathing techniques but I just can't get the hang of them.
Any ideas on how to build up my stamina?

Replies

• FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Firstly congratulations on your efforts so far!

I felt a bit like that too when I started c25k after using a treadmill for 10 years - but only ever walking fast (i always despised running!!) and i used the incline to vary the intensity but I didn't challenge my lungs & cardiovascular system so my legs were strong and lungs under challenged! I think you do have to focus on getting a nice calm breathing rhythm and its seems to be something you have to learn as you go along the program.

I don't know any technical tips but I think you will find it easier and easier and more natural as the next few weeks go by. I notice my deliberate breathing when running but it now seems ok in line with the rest of me!! So my advice would be to stay calm and hang on in there, you're doing great! :love:
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Your breaths should span running 2-3 steps. If you are breathing at a fast pace (or panting) you need to take deeper breaths and slow your breath rate down. You should feel your abdomen moving (belling breathing) to get a deep breath. Otherwise you are just filling a small portion of your lungs which isn't enough to support your pace. Before you go running again, try deep breathing where you feel your abdomen help you consume and release air. You should feel this when you are running.

Slowing down requires less air. Increasing pace requires more air. Change your speed to adjust how much air you need. It is similar with your legs. You can adjust your speed to help you recover if you are out of air or your legs are heavy. Once you recover, resume your speed. The more you run, the quicker your legs and breathing recovers.

You run a faster pace for 90 seconds than you do for 30 minutes. You need to find a pace that you can maintain for 20-30 min. Once you can run for this time period you can work on speed/distance.

Good Luck...Keep running its not that hard...I did it last summer...
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to repeat a workout until you feel comfortable with it. I've slowed and repeated a couple times, at first I was a little embarrassed, but the good feeling I get after satisfactorily completing something I've struggled with is totally worth it.

Getting breathing down has been very difficult for me as well. I quit smoking a couple of months ago in exchange for a pair running shoes. It hasn't been easy, but well worth the trouble.

Best of luck to you!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You probably need to slow down even more. Walk more slowly too, to make sure you are fully recovered before each run segment.

The other thing that might have an impact is form. Bending from the waist or slouching - something that is really likely to happen when you get tired - cuts off your air. What I do is make sure I am standing tall, pulled up through my core, and looking out about 10 paces in front. Then, keeping this form, move my hips forward until it feels like my weight is balanced over my toes, like I will have to make a step if I push forward any more. Keeping this in balance through the run makes a slower pace easier and more controlled (it makes a faster pace easier too) and it helps you maximize your breathing.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice already given but it will happen. I felt exactly the same when I first started C25K. When I ran that 1st 60 seconds, it took me all of the 3 mins to steady my breathing. I was given the belly breathing advice but I struggle to get this right (I always end up wanting to pee). While doing the warm up walk take deep steady breaths to get the oxygen circulating before you start your run (this seemed to help me). Don't give up on yourself, you will get there. As someone suggested, if need be just repeat any days you struggle with. You can finish the programme at your own pace.

Good luck :smile:
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. My lungs would feel like they would explode within a minute of running. It wasn't until week 5 that I started to build up some better stamina. Also, have you considered talking to your doctor? I found out I have exercise induced asthma and a puffer made a huge difference. The good news now is when I run my thighs hurt before my lungs do :)
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I'm the opposite. I've got the breathing down, but my legs just don't like to keep up the pace. As the others have said, you'll build yourself up, and in the meantime it's all about pace and making sure you're breathing correctly.
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is what im struggling with. Physically i feel i can keep goin but my breathing hinders me and i feel like im dying!x