Fit and Toned people - Question for you

ajidllensi
ajidllensi Posts: 71 Member
Ok, I want the truth. is it pie in the sky to work out 4-5 days per week 50 minutes per day and get that muscular toned look? Or am I dreaming? I often find out that people who look very athletic actually spend A LOT of time training, like 2 hours a day 6 days per week. It's a little discouraging as I am mom to 3 and can't put that much time into working out, as i need to spend quality time with my kids. I have been working out consistently for 6 months and seen some progress, but am still not satisfied. I work out 4-5x per week. 3-4 times are strength training doing free weights, some weight machines, TRX training, or a Les Mills Body Pump or CRX class. I usually do 1-2 days per week of strictly cardio. I am just now adding a little jog (about 10-15 minutes) after I get home from the gym on my strength training days and put the kids to bed, to help shed some fat. Is this enough exercise to get a really toned physique? if you are pretty fit and toned, please describe what you do and how long it took to get there. Thanks for your reply!

Replies

• JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    I've heard of people training 3 times a week, 1 hour strengh training sessions at a time to get toned. Jillian Michael works out 3-4 times a week, about 45 minutes each workout. She's pretty toned. Mabie it's different for some people, so other people will surely answer better then I can.
  • I know this may sound stupid but I travel and hardly have access to any gym. I do pushups in my hotel room, which helps a ton. Start out with what you can do, maybe 5 or ten in a set. Tend to your house and an hour or so later do another set. Push yourself every day or two to do at least one more push up than the day before. That is the key, push youself. Before you know it you'll be doing 25 pushups per set then you'll notice a hugh difference
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Absolutely not pie in the sky - it sounds like what you are doing is perfect without knowing how long your cardio sessions are - but how heavy are you going on the weights? And as far as your diet, how high is your protein in relation to your other macros? Feel free to message me if you want in case I don't come back to the thread - but I can tell you that the magic happened for me when I increased my weights in the gym (if you can easily do 10-12 reps, go up in weight and do fewer reps) spent less time on cardio, upped my calories closer to maintenance and upped my protein to 40% of my macros.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    I work out 4~5 times a week. 1~2 hrs depending on how I feel or if im with friends.

It's more of a motivation thing. helps me keep a workout schedule.

Genetics, metabolism, and calorie count (deficit/surplus) all play a roll towards peoples goals.
  • biene42
    biene42 Posts: 1
    I absolutely agree.....80% is diet just 20% is you workouts. I know it sounds crazy...but its true. I done Jamie Easons workout last year and now im doing James wilsons online program....I love it. Just stick with it...u doing fine :happy:
  • ajidllensi
    ajidllensi Posts: 71 Member
    Thanks to all for your input. It is appreciated. Looks like I need to look at a few things like my diet and workout. I think it is possible that i am not eating enough protein, plus I am doing the 10-12 reps when I lift.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    It's not pie in the sky. Gaining muscle, just like gaining fat, is slow business. Getting toned takes months even in an ideal condition (good nutrition, correct amount of workout) because there's only so much your body can build in a given amount of time. If you lift progressively you will get toned, the only question is how soon.
  • Diet is as important as exercise. "Toning" is essentially lowering your body fat percentage. One can exercise daily and greatly improve their cardiovascular health and strength, yet see little transformation of their body shape if changes in diet aren't implemented. Think whole, nutrient-rich foods and lean protein. And lift heavy.
  • I agree with everything above. It's (sadly) all about diet... When I changed my diets i saw big results !!! Dont forget cardio is good but too much of it makes you hungry and when you are hungry ...it's harder to stick to the plan :)
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    80% of getting that look is what you eat. It can't be overstated enough how important it is to eat rational portions of clean food.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    If you are skinny-fat and trying to get fit, then you need to increase your weights. Heavy lifting is the answer, I think. Short workouts using heavy weights is working for me.

You also need to be eating enough to build muscles, at least eat at TDEE. Although finding TDEE is not always so simple. ;)
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    I workout 4 times a week, strength training, for about an hour to an hour and a half. You just have to be consistent and patient.
  • polyspal
    polyspal Posts: 9
    I'm not very toned, but I believe that I would be considered Fit by most.

My "workouts" mainly come from my sports which are seasonal, water polo in the fall, swimming in the spring. But I just got a gym membership, so that'll change soon.

Practice is 120 - 150 minutes long, five days a week. This past water polo season we had two days a week with an added hour of morning practice.

Freshman year, I started water polo and I dropped 15 or so pounds throughout the season ((3 months)). It was my first real sport.

I don't do any weight training ((yet)), so I've strictly been limited to cardio in the form of swimming.

Swimming is a great way to work your whole body, no matter how long a day. Swimming laps back and forth, when you feel like taking a rest, just do another 50 ((2 laps)). Each of the 4 strokes has a differently effect and it's fun to mix it up.

After a couple years of working on my swimming, my form has improved, my body has slimmed down, my endurance has shot through the roof, and I feel like I can do anything.

Patience is key.