I don't know what to do anymore

Options
tinacristina
tinacristina Posts: 41 Member
I am really bumming today. Yesterday I took a class at the gym and I am bigger than I was a year ago. I swear I almost left class wanting to cry just looking at my body. I didn't leave but I ran out of the gym as soon as it was over...then I cried in my car. I'm struggling.

I did HCG 3x's in the last 2 years and lost 25 to 30 pounds each time but only to gain it all back. So I started this year off juicing and eating raw, exercising 5 days a week since Dec. 2012. I lost a few pounds at first but my belly was alway so bloated that I couldn't deal with that fiber and bloatedness.

What I want is something I can stick to, that works and last a life time, right? So here I am day 40 on Paleo and zero weight loss. I have changed it up here and there. First too many calories and not enough fiber or carbs then to lower calories and more carbs but sticking to around 50 carbs or less. But I am at a stand still with my weight. I exercise and I feel defeated like nothing can work...

I think about HCG and cringe...I just can't do that. I don't know what is wrong and why my body is having a hard time dropping any weight...I'm depressed today and tired of this. I can't talk to my husband because it's such an old song and dance.

I even bought some diet pills (herbs) yesterday but it's not that I am eating too much...so that was stupid that I did that. It's my darn metabolism and my body fighting each and every day...I also suffer from constipation and I am eating chia daily, taking mag. citrate, ester C to help combat this and that's old news..I am 51 and this constipation is a life time issue...it's still there.

My thyroid is in check with medication. I am or have been patient but not seeing any result without eating a bit of sugar or bread for 6 weeks ...now the Master cleanse is sounding good but again, I don't want to resort to short term yet failed plans...Did any one here have a hard time losing? Does the body finally give in? What can I do? What's wrong with my body? Any suggestion that will work better?

Thanks for all your input..

Replies

• Finnellappe
    Options
    It might be a case of time, I've read that HCG really messes with your body so it might take you some time to get back to normal. I would give it minimum 3 months and see how things are.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi Tina,

Although I don't have any answers to your questions, I want to say that understanding and managing your body is one of the most complex and confusing things I think most of us will ever deal with. I can tell that you are obviously upset and frustrated, but don't start grasping for straws and run back to HGC, "cleansing", etc.

From what I understand, thyroid problems can cause lots of issues with weight, so you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

I'm going to send you a friend invite - can I look at your diary and maybe make some recommendations?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Glancing through your post, you seem to have a lot of "quick, easy fixes" you've gone through in your life.

But it seems they didn't work in the long term, correct? I wouldn't go back to methods which didn't work long term, or which allowed you to develop unhealthy attitudes towards food and your health.

KISS (keep it simple, stupid!) not that you're stupid, but simplify your life. You don't need to take herbal supplements, don't need to take diet pills, no crazy workout fads, just keep it simple. Eat well, eat the rainbow, eat protein, hit your macros, and work out as you have time. Especially as you age, your metabolism slows, and it's harder to get your body to do what you'd like it to do. Give it time, relax. Enjoy making delicious, homemade, healthy meals and take it slow.

Log everything! Find out your TDEE, and your BMR. Eat at TDEE -20%, wait it out for a month, and reevaluate. Your body doesn't like it when you switch everything up so often, it muddles your view of what is working and what is not.

Also, I'd suggest filling out your profile with your goals. Then they're in your face every time you log in. Whenever I see people with empty profiles, I begin to doubt how much they want this. Write down how you will achieve your goals, and break them into small, manageable challenges. "Only drink 1 glass of wine a week" or "Workout at least 3x a week", or "Prepare all homemade foods for meals for 1 month"
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Based on your calorie goals, the couple of days that you logged and the history of diets that you posted about, I believe your biggest problem is that you are under eating. Low calorie dieting and HCG have messed up your metabolism.

My recommendation is that you stick to a low carb version of Paleo/Primal, up your calories to no less than 1600 a day. You may need more calories than that especially if you are working out. In fact, I suggest that you don't even worry about the amount of calories you consume for quite some time. Keep your carb intake low and increase your fat consumption.

Log, log, log your food. Every day.

Give it at least 6 months to allow your body to repair your metabolism.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I could have written this! You name it, I tried it! Always feel worse then when I started. I feel like I keep pushing the book 'have your cake and skinny jeans too" but for meit was/is life changing! It has you stop labeling food as good or bad and has no rules! Simple guidlines like stop eating when it no longer taste good (after all you can have more later when you are hungry again). The book has helped me so much! Feel free to friend me!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Glancing through your post, you seem to have a lot of "quick, easy fixes" you've gone through in your life.

But it seems they didn't work in the long term, correct? I wouldn't go back to methods which didn't work long term, or which allowed you to develop unhealthy attitudes towards food and your health.

KISS (keep it simple, stupid!) not that you're stupid, but simplify your life. You don't need to take herbal supplements, don't need to take diet pills, no crazy workout fads, just keep it simple. Eat well, eat the rainbow, eat protein, hit your macros, and work out as you have time. Especially as you age, your metabolism slows, and it's harder to get your body to do what you'd like it to do. Give it time, relax. Enjoy making delicious, homemade, healthy meals and take it slow.

Log everything! Find out your TDEE, and your BMR. Eat at TDEE -20%, wait it out for a month, and reevaluate. Your body doesn't like it when you switch everything up so often, it muddles your view of what is working and what is not.

Also, I'd suggest filling out your profile with your goals. Then they're in your face every time you log in. Whenever I see people with empty profiles, I begin to doubt how much they want this. Write down how you will achieve your goals, and break them into small, manageable challenges. "Only drink 1 glass of wine a week" or "Workout at least 3x a week", or "Prepare all homemade foods for meals for 1 month"

this is excellent advice! to lose you have to eat at a deficit... a lot of people stat paleo and eat tons of nuts and high calorie food and dont' control the amounts and then give up because they don't lose. what you eat is hugely important all calories are not equal BUT every body has a limit fo how many calories it can burn and then it turns the excess to fat. good luck.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Whole30 during this? It has really helped me. It's a commitment to treat your body well and change your attitude towards food, and the hold that food has over you, by eating wholesome foods for 30 days (in a nutshell). Paleo based. They have a reason for all their recommendations. I have not read their book yet, but I've been doing the Whole30 from info on their website, with an auto-immune twist (no nuts, eggs, or nightshades) because of joint pain.

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/

They say, "This will change your life," and I know for me, it's helping. Much less joint pain -- not gone completely, but at least I can manage now.

My background: I ruined my metabolism with bulimia, crazy diets, compulsive exercise, etc. (When I stopped being bulimic, mainly because of pregnancies--didn't want to hurt the baby--I put on weight slowly and steadily, ending a little heavier after each baby was born, and then gained 30 pounds over the 15 years since the last baby.) I weighed twice what I ought to have, when I started a month ago. Haven't lost much weight, but it is coming off at a slow rate, a pound every other week or so. They say that's the healthy rate. (But now that I started the Whole30 I'm not supposed to weigh myself for 30 days, so I won't.)

What I've read on paleo websites is also that you can actually lose inches while losing no weight or even gaining -- the result of losing fat and gaining muscle (muscle takes up less room and weighs more).

Also, there was a link on these discussion boards to an article that said that women who do long cardio sessions (like running long distance) can depress their thyroid function or something like that. I wouldn't know -- my knees went bad a few years ago and I haven't run since. In the past six months I even stopped walking for exercise, until I started doing a little bit (I can barely tolerate 1/4 mile, on really good days 1/2 mile) again recently.

Hang in there.
  • tinacristina
    tinacristina Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks youguys for all your help. What does TDEE mean?

I know it takes patience...I am just frustrated. I know a quick fix won't fix me either.

I will also check out that book too: have your cake and skinny jeans too

Thank you!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Thanks youguys for all your help. What does TDEE mean?

I know it takes patience...I am just frustrated. I know a quick fix won't fix me either.

I will also check out that book too: have your cake and skinny jeans too

Thank you!

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

It absolutely takes patience. Many times I wanted to give up!! But every time I dug deep, found my motivation, and kept at it. I'm still keeping at it. Thinnest I've been in my adult life. Best I've felt in my WHOLE life :)

Feel free to vent to us, to your friends. Most people have gone through the pain and frustration and know exactly what you're talking about.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I sincerely hate to hear anyone so stressed and obviously hurting. Don't forget what cortisol does to your mental and physical health, too. I've read some great advice on here, so I'm going to try not to be repetitious and just offer you some emotional support. Practice some patience and acceptance with yourself. Make a point to do at least one very nice thing for yourself that doubles as relaxing everyday. Best of luck to you on your journey, friend me if you want some additional support.