New Girl on the Block

Options
GetFitChristie
GetFitChristie Posts: 14 Member
So... I just got my official Type 2 diagnosis yesterday (6.19) - my fasting glucose test from Friday (6.14) came back at 249, and my AC1 was 9.1..... along with that diagnosis, I received a prescription for metFormin, 1x day, at 500mg dosage.... after my appt on Friday 6.14, I decided to start changing my diet, and have lost about 7 lbs since then.... am hoping to get enough energy back in soon so I can start exercising.... and hopefully these numbers will improve....

any suggestions, words of wisdom, helpful hints, etc. that anyone wants to share with the new girl would be greatly appreciated....

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm new to Type 2 as well. Diagnosed about a month ago. Since then I've gotten serious about better eating and exercise. Not that I was a schlump before, but have really tightened everything up. My doctor also suggested a wheat-free diet for 30 days.

Advice? I'd say: get good rest, find supportive people, log in every day, get a good app on your phone for exercise (I use Runtastic), search out tasty recipes, Make this FUN!

Take small steps, like a 20 minute walk 3 times a week. Or giving up one food. Changing one habit. If you try to change everything at once you'll be overwhelmed.

Stay positive!
    Margaret
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi GetFitChristi!

Congrats on your progress so far. At first, a diagnosis of diabetes can be overwhelming to be sure. Metformin is the most widely prescribed med by healthcare providers after an initial diagnosis of T2 diabetes to help our bodies with it's natural insulin resistance. Some taking this med initially find unpleasant stomach and digestive issues when first starting this med others don't. Metformin does come in an extended release formula too, if you find your not tolerating the regular version very well.

The My Fitness Pal program is a wonderful tool not only to help you adopt healthier nutrition habits, but also helps improve your blood sugar control and diabetes management when used as designed.

An important defense to high blood sugars is lowering your carbohydrate consumption for meals and snacks, as carbs raise and spike blood sugars to unhealthy levels for those of us with diabetes. Diabetes is a very individualistic condition each of us share and what works for me in controlling my blood sugars may or may not work for you or the next person.

Your glucose meter is going to be your new best friend, it will help you make the healthier food choices you need to make for good blood sugar control. As I mentioned earlier we're all different but, you might aim for 40-45 grams of carbs per meal, limiting yourself to one to two snacks a day at 15 grams of carbs each, additionally limiting or eliminating white starchy foods like breads, rice, potatoes and most if not all cereals.

I strongly encourage you to seek out the help and advice of a diabetes education clinic from your healthcare professional treating your diabetes if you haven't already, as it was very beneficial to me when I was diagnosed 30 years ago.

www.bloodsugar101.com

www.diabetesdaily.com

www.diabetes.co.uk

www.diabetesselfmanagement.com

The above links are packed with invaluable information designed to answer your questions about successful diabetes management practices.

I hope this information is helpful. A warm welcome to this very supportive and knowledgeable group of people, eager to share their experiences with you in what works for them and what doesn't work in our efforts to help each other on our journey.

Good luck!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Christi and welcome to this group. Joining this group is a great decision. There is a wealth of information on here covering a wide range of issues. I suggest that you take time to run thorugh the various threads and get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of genuine people on here who will be willing to share their knowledge and experience with you. We all started from your position at one time and many of us can bear testimony to difference that MFP has made in their management of diabetes. The programme, if properly applied ,really does work. It is not a quick fix and needs determination and patience. The important thing is that it does work. I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active life and will do all I can to help and support you on your journey.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Welcome Christie. As others have said there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here and people truly willing to share. You're smart to work on getting things under control by eating healthier and beginning to exercise when you're able to do so. Walking a bit is a great way to increase your activity and will help in so many ways. Stay positive and know that all the steps you're taking will make a real difference.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have little to add to what has been said. I know this diagnoses is not what you would ever want, but you found a good place in this group for support and information. Welcome.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi! They say when life hands you lemons.....well, you probably know the rest. If nothing else, being diagnosed as T2 has pushed me to lose weight and get fitter. So, in that regard, its my lemonade. It will be yours too. You CAN control your disease and live a long and healthy life. Welcome to the group and kudos to you for taking charge of your disease! :)
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and to this Forum. Congrats on making a healthier lifestyle and for your weight loss so far. That is the first step. You will find that by eating healthier and exercising (as soon as you are able), that your blood sugar levels will get better and your A1C will go down. I have had Type 2 for 8 years now and did not take diet or exercise serious until January. My numbers have gotten so much better. Exercise is an essential part of this!

Good luck on your journey. It iwill take more than just luck, it will take patience and perseverance, but if you continue on a path towards a healthier you, you will have success.

Add me as a friend, if you'd like. I am on everyday and try to offer support, as I can.

Nancy
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hi Christi and welcome to the group. Most has been said in the above posts. Lots of great info here and on the websites provided. Also as you get your BS's under tighter controll, you will notice your energy levels start to come up too. Lots of diabetic's don't realize how much the high sugar was effecting their everyday life untill they get the numbers to drop.